12 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Good question Mike,

‘After watching the Alpha Audio video posted by Stefke recently, that Rudy64 mentions below, Alpha mention that the better switches and power supplies help to mitigate the noise that travels along the Ethernet cables, contaminating the signal that carries the music data. They mentioned that a switch is a hostile environment for music data, picking up a lot of noise,  in the switch and network. In my system.

‘It is that electrical noise that Alpha Audio say is probably responsible for the digital edge. I believe that EMI and RF also contribute to the digital edge.

‘I have heard this in my system, how the introduction of a better switch and power supply for the switch, has brought an improvement to the sound quality. I would say subjectively, my Bonn N8 brought moderate change when placed in my system compared to my previous NetGear and Cisco switch, while the new Bonn Forester F1 power supply brought a substantial improvement in sound quality, to the Bonn N8/Forester F1 combination.

‘Music is more realistic in every way, and voices and instruments are natural, organic and relaxed, with greater detail, punch and musicality. Soundstage is bigger and more engaging and an absolute delight to listen to.

Congratulations Rudy,

‘I hope this works out well for you, as my new Bonn N8 switch has for me.

As I mention in my reply to SnapperMike above in this post, the switch with a better power supply has been grande!!!

Hi Paul,

I was talking about another blind test...sorry only dutch..  https://www.alpha-audio.nl/review/zeven-switches-voor-streaming-audio-getest-blind/

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quandary. For instance, the detail the 212's give on one track, Rolling Stones, It's Only Rock and Roll allows me into the studio in a way the Ninkas don't. Keith especially emerges in a way I've neve

On first appearance, they have a lot in common. They both have a 3K array and a similar size volume cabinet.  The 212’s were designed about the time the 242’s came out, and the Akudoriks are

If you do, just listen to the music and ignore the hifi. A life changing opportunity may be available.

On 19/03/2021 at 01:55, akamatsu said:

I read this with great interest. My system sounds very natural and genuine with Exakt ad SO. But, I know what you mean about passive systems. My recent experience at Majik level taught me a lot. I'm thinking that Exakt may be too revealing for a digital source, in some cases. With a good source, Exakt and SO seem to bring more of the musicality to the music.

I've really been thinking to run both the 212's and Ninkas straight out of my MDSM/2 and see what happens?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I've really been thinking to run both the 212's and Ninkas straight out of my MDSM/2 and see what happens?

If you do, just listen to the music and ignore the hifi. A life changing opportunity may be available.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

This is actually my quandary with Ninkas versus 212's. I WANT to hear the hifi with all the money I've spent! I want all the detail I can get, but buttery too! I want the micro detail and imaging it the wazoo, but yes want it to be organically musical too. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

This is actually my quandary with Ninkas versus 212's. I WANT to hear the hifi with all the money I've spent! I want all the detail I can get, but buttery too! I want the micro detail and imaging it the wazoo, but yes want it to be organically musical too. 

A more resolving system will provide more access to the music. But a lesser system could be very musical, enjoyable, and highly adequate.

On 18/03/2021 at 14:36, zee9 said:

Are you using the Harbeth’s with just the internal amps on the selekt? I’ve felt the same way in recent weeks and this has only happened as I converted my kabers back to passive and am now running them in a single Klout. There are days where I enjoy the passive setup more than my aktiv 242’s. I’m was questioning my planned katalyst upgrade to my Adsm/1 but I feel the source upgrade can only be a good thing.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Yes, I only drive with the amplifier, it sounds absolutely fantastic, my toes are pounding the beat again. I think that a music system should not sound super perfect in terms of detail, it should be mixed musically and analytically, SO and Exakt together with Linn's cables and speakers have gone far too far in terms of analysis. But now Linn seems to have understood it with the new dac 😅

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I want all the detail I can get, but buttery too!

So when will you get that subwoofer to partner with the 212's? :)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, akamatsu said:

A more resolving system will provide more access to the music. But a lesser system could be very musical, enjoyable, and highly adequate.

Quandary. For instance, the detail the 212's give on one track, Rolling Stones, It's Only Rock and Roll allows me into the studio in a way the Ninkas don't. Keith especially emerges in a way I've never heard before. It's pure hifi to me, but pure enjoyment and magic too. But other tracks, better engineered tracks, don't float my boat with what they do. Horses for courses?

18 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

So when will you get that subwoofer to partner with the 212's? :)

I was talking with another member today and finalised my plans to get a sub. It makes the most financial sense at this point as I try to decide. Katalysing my Exaktbox-i will probably do the most to get me happy, or not, but I think real insights towards a decision will be gained by introducing a sub (sans Exaktbox sub initially). 

• Like 4

I think the sub rout is a great way forward 

5 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I was talking with another member today and finalised my plans to get a sub

Sounds very sensible jail. You will find that a subwoofer will be of value whatever speakers you decide to make a keeper. So is it a BK or something closer to home? To be honest, I have a Linn Majik 126 subwoofer and it's doing great work. I know that because when I turn it off, I can tell straight away it's not there. However, when I put my ear close to the sub, there is very little audible sound coming from it. That leads me to think the choice of sub may be not be that important? Important to have one but with regards to the manufacturer, I don't know.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

That leads me to think the choice of sub may be not that important? Important to have one but with regards to the manufacturer, I don't know.

I tend to agree. I think this is why Linn got out of the bass extension speaker business. There seems to be a couple of quality brands available.

Glad to hear your sub is working out nicely for you.:)

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Glad to hear your sub is working out nicely for you.:)

Oh man! Michael, I couldn't be without it now!!

Initially, it's not obvious. But, then switch it off and everything has less substance to its sound. Turn it back on and the weight, richness and body to the music is there again. I was pleased today when a friend came to listen and he immediately noticed when I had switched the subwoofer off.

Like I said, put your ear to the sub and there's barely an audible note! It's bizarre but it works!

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Oh man! Michael, I couldn't be without it now!!

Initially, it's not obvious. But, then switch it off and everything has less substance to its sound. Turn it back on and the weight, richness and body to the music is there again. I was pleased today when a friend came to listen and he immediately noticed when I had switched the subwoofer off.

Like I said, put your ear to the sub and there's barely an audible note! It's bizarre!

That put a big smile on my face! Isn't kind of magical what a sub woofer does? Enjoy! :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 21:49, Rudi64 said:

Well, by coincidence today i came across a brand new Cisco Meraki 220 8p switch on ebay, i did a low bid and to my suprise the seller accepted it..this switch was in a group of 7 blind tested on the dutch website "alpha audio" and rated on the same level as the silent angel and near the sotm switch..so i will find out soon:)

Well, the Meraki has been settled now for about a week and must say it adds a certain refinement to the music, also the impression hearing more details and more depth to the music, general impression that the biggest improvement comes when streamin Qobuz compairing the Asustor nas..nice upgrade for little moneyB|:) 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Rudi64 said:

Well, the Meraki has been settled now for about a week and must say it adds a certain refinement to the music, also the impression hearing more details and more depth to the music, general impression that the biggest improvement comes when streamin Qobuz compairing the Asustor nas..nice upgrade for little moneyB|:) 

Great to hear you are finding a wonderful improvement in sound quality with your new Meraki switch  😊

These new audiophile switches are a whole new level of musical performance that I didn’t think possible a year ago or so. 

The real fun began when I recently upgraded my Bonn N8 Silent Angel with a Bonn Forester F1 power supply, and then added a second Bonn N8

• Like 1