jcchristopher

A red/crimson resistor fell out of my Sneaky DS

iI just moved and when I got to my new home found my Sneaky DS is dead--no lights anywhere even after using the "Fallback" button. I decided to open the case and a red/maroon colored resistor fell out. Nothing else in the case looks like it. Anyone know where it would fit on the audio board or power supply? I hate to send it in for an expensive repair if it might be something that can pop back in. It looks like it might fit in the power supply board (see second photo). 

There's also writing on the case that says "Replace Fuse with Wickmann 372" -- I was trying to see if a fuse might be blown, but I can't see anything that looks like a fuse. 

Thanks,

John

IMG_3002.jpg

Edited by jcchristopher
need to add another photo

I think the loose component is the Wickmann fuse. Google it and you find pictures on similar components. In that case the component seems to fit in the F1 socket on the supply board. My 5 cents. Is there any text on top of the component?

Edited by HansBertil

Looks like a PCB mount fuse, should just plug back in.

Super Wammer

I would imagine it needs soldering, not just plugging in.

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

I would imagine it needs soldering, not just plugging in.

Well, yes maybe. The reason it fell out in the first place was probably because it was not soldered. So just plugging in will likely work. 

It's a Wickmann fuse. They normally have a sort of fuse holder, but that looks as though the pins just insert into the board. It doesn't need to be soldered  (it shouldn't be soldered in fact). It's not directional. The designation 'F' on a PCB normally stands for 'fuse', and seeing as it's adjacent to switch and power connectors, I'd say it's about 99.9% certain that all you need to do is shove it back in the hole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, rabski said:

It's a Wickmann fuse. They normally have a sort of fuse holder, but that looks as though the pins just insert into the board. It doesn't need to be soldered  (it shouldn't be soldered in fact). It's not directional. The designation 'F' on a PCB normally stands for 'fuse', and seeing as it's adjacent to switch and power connectors, I'd say it's about 99.9% certain that all you need to do is shove it back in the hole.

I stand corrected, :notworthy: Richard knows a lot more about these things than I do, it just looked like it should be soldered, from the photo, so apologies for misleading you.

Super Dealer
11 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I stand corrected, :notworthy: Richard knows a lot more about these things than I do, it just looked like it should be soldered, from the photo, so apologies for misleading you.

Well you were not 100% wrong. The Wickman fuses come in two varieties, one intended to be soldered and one intended to be plug in. However in this instance I do agree that this one looks like the plug in variety.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone -- it does look like it needs to be soldered. I'll keep my fingers crossed that solves the issue and I don't have to send it in to the factory!

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Well you were not 100% wrong. The Wickman fuses come in two varieties, one intended to be soldered and one intended to be plug in. However in this instance I do agree that this one looks like the plug in variety.

Quite right Nick, but that does look like the 'shove it in the hole' variety. The worst that can happen is that it falls out  :D

Super Dealer
3 hours ago, rabski said:

Quite right Nick, but that does look like the 'shove it in the hole' variety. The worst that can happen is that it falls out  :D

I think you will see that in this instance I was agreeing with you. :D

Super Dealer

Sorry, forgot to say that this a surely an ATASTTB moment. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jcchristopher said:

Thanks everyone -- it does look like it needs to be soldered. I'll keep my fingers crossed that solves the issue and I don't have to send it in to the factory!

Test it before soldering it in.