New headphones day. Love, hate or on the fence? Any experiences? Or not even looking because you're happy with.....

If they're cheap, expensive, old, new, large or small we're always interested here :)

There's lots of threads but thought I'd just do a general one as headphones seem to change heads quite a bit. Its become a bit of a journey for me recently as Hi-Fi has over the years. I still even have a wondering eye (ear) for hi-fi if I'm honest, but just settled on equipment that's pleasing to me so it just gets harder, not to mention more of a faff as well so I try and focus on the music more, which wasn't always easy in those systems you didn't like.  

Also with the increasing time spent behind computer screens, on phones or portable these days with the files on tap good headphones seem to be a bit of a no brainer.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoying my new B&W PX7 Carbon Editions

Ah well, there's no helping some people! 

Own four pairs and they're all different: Grado SR225, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD598 and HD650. Can't tell you the differences as I'm not that articulate but my favourite has to be the HD650... they

Posted Images

Beyerdynamic T5p mkII

Been trying numerous headphones the last few years at all price ranges. One of the last ones I moved on was the Sennheiser 660S which I didn't really give much of a chance. Didn't give them any time to break in, but off the bat I could hear there was potential, the open thing isn't really my thing though prefer a more private listening experience, especially with the limits of a family and wanting to use them wherever.

Anyway got hold of some Beyerdynamic T5p's, little experience with Beyers so far (Basically a set of DT770 Pro, which I thought were ok but not long term keepers, again didn't give them much of a chance :) mainly as I thought some of the cans I already owned were just as good ). The T5p's are about as good as you can get in a closed, or as much as you can spend without going completely nuts (that's even debatable at their price), so I went for it. First impressions are not bad. These are a bit of a highest price I expect to pay pair as well, but I'm looking for that end game, among looking for headphones for other things as well, and these are supposed to be flagship (ish) models so you expect miracles.

Build seems excellent. Comfort isn't great, I've had much cheaper models which had better comfort. Clamping force is quite high and they don't feel light, the pads are not soft or plush as you'd expect from a higher priced pair of cans. At least my ears are in plenty of space and not touching anything. Sound is something that the jury is still out on. First impressions are I can hear potential, lots of potential subtle fine detail, but nothing really stands out with the presentation, quite flat'ish if anything so far. Could even say a bit boxy sounding but I really should give them a chance to loosen up, I may not be hearing what they can really do yet. There is certainly no prominent high treble that many speak about with Beyer designs. From what I've heard so far I think they deserve a bit of time, and I don't think I'm going to get many better closed cans. I might be exhausting my options anyway so I hope they come through.

46795704315_af7e095f06_b.jpg

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

I use a pair of 770 pro 80 ohm for bedtime listening and find them ok, but then again I only listen at . Low levels due to on going tinniutus .

Still got my akg 702 pair that are very marmite , you either like them or not.  I quite like their light and open low bass presentation..... but as you have said before phones are like speakers some you prefer ....it's a personal preference....certainly heavy based beat type phones I have listened to are nog for me .....headache jobs I call them....I came in yt? o your room at kegworth, but you were busy chatting so I didn't interrupt.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, deggie said:

I use a pair of 770 pro 80 ohm for bedtime listening and find them ok, but then again I only listen at . Low levels due to on going tinniutus .

Still got my akg 702 pair that are very marmite , you either like them or not.  I quite like their light and open low bass presentation..... but as you have said before phones are like speakers some you prefer ....it's a personal preference....certainly heavy based beat type phones I have listened to are nog for me .....headache jobs I call them....I came in yt? o your room at kegworth, but you were busy chatting so I didn't interrupt.

Hi Keith, and that's a shame it would have been nice to say hello in Keggie, I would have liked to have met you, put a face to a user tag :) I enjoy your posts on here.

I had the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, I thought they were good, and the velour pads really appealed to me, they dont quite seal like leather types but better for overall comfort and those longer sessions I feel. Just been on a bit of a mission with headphones and some have just been sideswiped through not being bad, just mainly because I was looking for something. And I already had other headphones I feel were good also. The 770 could have been a good one to keep though. I am enjoying the T5p's at the moment but really need more time with them, I feel they might just get it as well. I love listening to what these so-called 'specials' can do though or why they claim to be special.

I tried the 702 some time ago, around the same time I tried Sennheiser 600s, 650s and Grados to mention a few. When you compare its tricky as you don't hear them in isolation and aspect of others may be more appealing but it can often overlook what's good about others. The 702 were an odd one for me at the time, but there's no disputing the following they have, they are a much-loved headphone.

11 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

current prices would help? ;)

Google searches are not difficult. But just for you, T5p's if that's what you mean currently retail around £849, so not exactly cheap cans. But I like cheaper cans as well.

Edited by eddie-baby
11 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Google searches are not difficult. But just for you, T5p's if that's what you mean currently retail around £849, so not exactly cheap cans. But I like cheaper cans as well.

Well, I like expensive headphones but the thread title is "NEW headphones day" so many readers probably won't know prices and if someone's going to the bother of replying in such a topic, then it's reasonable to expect a price quote  so others can rule in/rule out the 'phones as their budget requires. :)

25 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

Well, I like expensive headphones but the thread title is "NEW headphones day" so many readers probably won't know prices and if someone's going to the bother of replying in such a topic, then it's reasonable to expect a price quote  so others can rule in/rule out the 'phones as their budget requires. :)

ok, fair enough, it doesn't really matter, its not meant to be something literal or scientific, its just hi-fi forum banter. Relevantly new, or new to you is fine. I've had loads of new cars as well, but I have never actually owned a new car. Titles can be misleading, that's why I did write in the first line:-

'If they're cheap, expensive, old, new, large or small we're always interested here'

Price isn't really a factor, people get just as much pleasure out of free headphones that they've newly acquired. I even keep going back to a £70 pair myself after trying many higher priced recommendeds, maybe they're not audiophile better but I just like them.

Maybe I should have put headphones new day

Edited by eddie-baby

Hey us spammers ain't fussed eddie about price , New , used , also depends on the amp that's driving them......my Burson ha is lovely but really underused compared to my speaker set up.     It's an interesting topic to chat about and that's what it's all about.

6 hours ago, deggie said:

Hey us spammers ain't fussed eddie about price , New , used , also depends on the amp that's driving them......my Burson ha is lovely but really underused compared to my speaker set up.     It's an interesting topic to chat about and that's what it's all about.

Yes, I think so Keith.

As for the Burson I think its gorgeous equipment I've been extremely impressed with the stuff I've heard of theirs..

And I been playing a bit more, and the wife wanted to join in as well (steady, with the headphones I mean :) ). Just grabbed a  fairly basic but fairly decent mid pricer headphone to compare with the Beyers, Audio Technicas ATH-M40X. I've got a USB DAC/amp that has twin outputs so quite easy to set up for an A/B. Got some of the old favourites playing back to back and switched back and forth between the two cans. The results were interesting. And it is really interesting to get a non-audiophiles perspective sometimes.

Bearing in mind the mrs has absolutely no idea of what I paid for either headphone and the fact that she does enjoy music for musics sake, not hi-fis (although she does appreciate that a bit as well, I often find my equipment left on overnight, and get an, oh I forgot :) ). Given this is just one type of amp and DAC and as you say Keith it all makes a difference and the new cans have had barely any use so some things were not all equal, but flagships should blow you away right.

What we both agreed on were they both sounded very good. And it depended on the song but each had their merits. Overall I think we both generally agreed in this rough test, the AT-M40X perhaps has the edge, as in better overall. But some things the Beyers just sounded generally superior, it really was a rough test this :D

The Mrs first impression of the Beyer was not as comfortable, and that generally stayed for her throughout, not bad just not quite as good as the AT.

For me personally, I did think there was a bit more in the Beyer sound, but not always as clear as the AT, and there was for lack of better words, more of a nasal sound and boxed in, but bigger at the same time with the T5p's. I did think the AT sounded slightly grainier also even though they were clearer. Even the wife said the vocals just sounded way better on certain tracks with the Beyer, but overall the AT was a better general listen. And I think for studio type can AT is quite easy for listening to music, especially over some of the others I've tried.

It's funny as I read one below good review on Amazon where the reviewer said he preferred the AT-M50X over the Beyer, even if they were the same price.

So there you have it a load of useless information on reflection and after a few beers :D

Edited by eddie-baby

Well you may have my ears ....as I also have a pair of a t m 40 that I use on my laptop I agree with you on your thoughts about them ......I quite like them ....Will have to listen further with them......I think you have opened up a can of worms here....for me I mean.

I know nothing, Ive been to barcelona.   So take my views lightly.  Light weight, comfort, quality, all three might get pricey.  Open back electrostatics ?

Do you need to block out the outside world ? some do, some dont. I see people using noisy lawnmowers with radio-headphones.

Sony MDR-1A

The saga continues..... for anyone interested :)

Something else to try, nowhere near the cost of the Beyers but always wanted to try a set.

These are no flagships either, but they make a lot of people happy reading some reviews.

I just want to be able to put a set of headphones on and be able to say, 'thats it!', but so far I've struggled. It's taken me a long time to be able to do that with hi-fi and speakers over the years and I think my headphone mission might be a similar ordeal :(

First impressions on the Sonys, super comfortable, the sound is good if perhaps a little mellow, bit lacking in treble brightness, I like cymbals to sting and sizzle like real cymbals, and midrange is a little subdued but smooth, warm and enjoyable. Bass a little boosted but not a bad thing, a fairly easy listen in general.

Compared to the M40X Audio Technica, a much easier listen but the midrange vocals on the AT have more of a live edge, the AT sound a little grainer as well as in slighter harsher, but I have to say the AT is not a bad headphone at all for listening to music for a mid-priced studio type can. Sony's comfort however is impressive, super soft and light, definitely up there with some of the best for comfort I've tried, possibly better than the Bose QC35s even.

I'm getting fed up of this quest already, I think I will put it on hold for a moment. I really need loads to try side by side, that's why I am contemplating heading to the Can Jam this year in London to hit a load in the same day. I will go with some serious intention of finding the headphones I like the most.

Could be worth a trip for me..

https://canjamglobal.com/shows/london2019/

The Sony next to my trusty if not quite heavenly ATH-M40X :)

46818187955_c8f0faaa09_c.jpg

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

After some 10 years and lots of different cans and amps along the way this combo has been a keeper. 

7319651_l.jpg

Edited by JamieMcC
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

After some 10 years and lots of different cans and amps along the way this combo has been a keeper.

7319651_l.jpg

Serious equipment there.

Nirvana for you :) and I  dont mean the band, although I would if I had them :)

• Like 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.