New headphones day. Love, hate or on the fence? Any experiences? Or not even looking because you're happy with.....

I see jerry is selling his grado 1000 phones ……….have you listened to any ….eddie.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoying my new B&W PX7 Carbon Editions

Ah well, there's no helping some people! 

Own four pairs and they're all different: Grado SR225, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD598 and HD650. Can't tell you the differences as I'm not that articulate but my favourite has to be the HD650... they

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, deggie said:

I see jerry is selling his grado 1000 phones ……….have you listened to any ….eddie.

Thanks for the info Keith :^

I've owned /tried a few Grados, quite liked them actually, one time they were one of the best headphones (IMO soundwise) I owned here, however they didn't get much use as they were open designs , so I do tend to favour closed designs now, not just for this reason but just in general, the 1000s must be very nice though I'm sure. I will look at another set of open one day as they have their advantages, but for fear of not getting used much I wouldn't be looking at too good a set. 

• Like 1

I mentioned it , just in case you were looking as they are on ..A o Sound forum....

• Like 1

I had Audeze lcd 3 for a while via a Trilogy headamp which sounded nice, weighty and dynamic but too much hf rolloff. Moved over to Stax and haven’t looked back. There are some very good iem’s out there if you like quality music on the go. I don’t  and don’t like things stuck in my ears anyway.  The real problem with Stax is finding the right energiser as Stax’s own are so so. For most folk it’ll be too much hassle despite the aural benefits.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, monya said:

For most folk it’ll be too much hassle despite the aural benefits.

This is a fact, it's a very valid point. Sidetracking and generalising a bit here but whatever / however you listen needs to be convenient for you, hence the massive rise in popularity of listening to files / streaming. Not always best as we know,  but good enough. But even that is improving now with larger storage / bandwidth and methods of compression. Some still stick to their hi-res, uncompressed or vinyl formats though as it's what they know,  like and used to, even if the newer methods are just as good really, if not really an improvement. 

The Stax are interesting beasts, but they are like a slight anomaly even amongst  dedicated headphone users. Not much experience myself but I can see how much they stir emotions of people who use them

Edited by eddie-baby

I use the Beyerdynamic DT150 and the Shure SRH-840 when I am on the move. Both are studio designs with multiple replacement parts and 24/7 comfort, which is important for those with a shiny top!

IMG-20180902-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c3f6eb6854fb3ce10ae56f1acc0f7698.jpg

Edited by oldius
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, oldius said:

I use the Beyerdynamic DT150 and the Shure SRH-840 when I am on the move.

Do you use a portable DAC/amp as well Geoff, or just straight from the mobile device? 

Been researching the DT150 a bit, you're not alone thinking they are great. I hope I get a chance to try some at some point. 

38 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Do you use a portable DAC/amp as well Geoff, or just straight from the mobile device? 

Been researching the DT150 a bit, you're not alone thinking they are great. I hope I get a chance to try some at some point. 

They are superb, and I look like a cyberman! I use the headphone socket on my integrated amp, which is better than any of the separate amps that I have tried. They are also excellent with my laptop. You can get a new pair from Studiocare in Liverpool for under £120. If they had a fancy design they would be £500 minimum IMO. Having tried many headphones in that category, I wouldn't swap them.

Edited by oldius
13 minutes ago, oldius said:

They are superb, and I look like a cyberman! I use the headphone socket on my integrated amp, which is better than any of the separate amps that I have tried. They are also excellent with my laptop. You can get a new pair from Studiocare in Liverpool for under £120. If they had a fancy design they would be £500 minimum IMO. Having tried many headphones in that category, I wouldn't swap them.

:^

And I agree with you on the amp headphones out thing, some of the amps out there produce absolutely superb results with decent headphones, as good as / perhaps better than some dedicated headphone amp (but not all of them obviously). 

6 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

:^

And I agree with you on the amp headphones out thing, some of the amps out there produce absolutely superb results with decent headphones, as good as / perhaps better than some dedicated headphone amp (but not all of them obviously). 

The only issue is that they are a 250ohm design so some mobile phones are not best suited to them. I wouldn't normally patrol the streets wearing a crash helmet so it's not an issue. There is also very little sound leakage so I often listen while my wife works beside me.

Edited by oldius

I am enjoying this thread as I have become a bit of a headphone convert. It was not by choice but out of necessity. However now I really enjoy my HP sessions and they are over 50% of my listening time now I would guess. My journey might be of interest to you.

Four years ago I decided to get a better HP amp and I went with the Auralic Taurus MK2. This was fed by the Devialet 200 which acts as the DAC in this set up. I also bought a new set of Hifiman HE1000 headphones. At the time they were the top of the range model.

To me this set up sounds sublime and I guess it should as it was expensive , well for me this is expensive ;-) I go on some of these forums and the amount of cash some people spend on gear is amazing. I am not one for chopping and changing gear a lot so this is the set up I still have and I still love it to this day.

Recently I did something I never thought I would do and I added a second pair of HPs to my home set up, not sure if I will keep them but it is likely. I once swore I would not be one of those people who had numerous sets as you can only use one right ? 

The set I added were the Sennheiser HD8OOS . They are very different to the HEK and I guess that was the intention. Both have their strengths I guess, but I am not good at describing the differences so I wont bother trying.

I think HPs can be quite addictive and I constantly read about new designs and I admit to wanting to try more……………………..be careful it can take hold of you ;-)

Edited by womaz
  • Like 2
On 30/04/2019 at 13:39, womaz said:

I am enjoying this thread as I have become a bit of a headphone convert. It was not by choice but out of necessity. However now I really enjoy my HP sessions and they are over 50% of my listening time now I would guess. My journey might be of interest to you.

Four years ago I decided to get a better HP amp and I went with the Auralic Taurus MK2. This was fed by the Devialet 200 which acts as the DAC in this set up. I also bought a new set of Hifiman HE1000 headphones. At the time they were the top of the range model.

To me this set up sounds sublime and I guess it should as it was expensive , well for me this is expensive ;-) I go on some of these forums and the amount of cash some people spend on gear is amazing. I am not one for chopping and changing gear a lot so this is the set up I still have and I still love it to this day.

Recently I did something I never thought I would do and I added a second pair of HPs to my home set up, not sure if I will keep them but it is likely. I once swore I would not be one of those people who had numerous sets as you can only use one right ? 

The set I added were the Sennheiser HD8OOS . They are very different to the HEK and I guess that was the intention. Both have their strengths I guess, but I am not good at describing the differences so I wont bother trying.

I think HPs can be quite addictive and I constantly read about new designs and I admit to wanting to try more……………………..be careful it can take hold of you ;-)

Thanks for sharing some of that story Steve, it's really interesting :^

I agree I enjoy headphones also, and somehow Ive always been some kind of aficionado of them whether I liked it or not really. It goes as far back as me being a kid even, even my old man who wasn't really a serious audiophile used to have new over ear headphones and he used to say listen to the tone on those son :) given his speakers were usually worse than his headphones I did used to spend some time with them, plus it wasn't always practical to stick those crappy speakers on either. Then throughout the Walkman era I got seriously into some music as well, you guest it on headphones, some bad some not so bad. But it was close music listening. 

It isnt always practical to listen to hifi, headphones gives you an up close and different insight into music, there's actually nothing like it, as much as I love speakers equally, or maybe a bit more :D but haven't tried everything yet ;)

I enjoy a session of music with headphones though, even some of the early models I used I could hear nuances with that stood out which kept me coming back. It's easier I think to really get into audio with headphones as well as sometimes it's just simpler. And with some great flagships out there like HD800s, it not too difficult to obtain seriously high end performances either, hi-fi and speakers if anything takes more dedication to the hobby. 

I was like you were at one time also, thought only one of this or only one that, I've just accepted the fact now to have lots of it and just try and limit the amount. I currently have a small collection of headphones and speakers, all of which earn their keep, and some I like to think have a permanent home, at least for the foreseeable :)

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And he's off again...... :roll: I do these odd things from time to time....Don't normally document it though...and it is only Wam isn't it :D

These are interesting....

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

40789983553_82b168aacb_c.jpg

I should keep it brief (as if:D), and surely no one is interested now xD

I'm fanatically reading or watching reviews on youtube where people are giving opinions. Some do a pretty good job actually of describing but theres nothing like listening yourself, because only you can tell if you actually like how they sound even if they're described to perfection.

How do these stack up then? I'm a bit undecided or even a bit on the fence to think these are really impressive.

A comparable build and fit and feel to the Sony MDR1A but the Sony is still the comfiest, however they sound nothing alike. The Sony have less treble and upper forward midrange which gives the sound a little laid back and smoother presentation, but not always what you (I anyway) want. The Sonys have an inflated bass as well, like a bass boost even, which is quite nice actually for general listening but you are always aware of it.  I can see the attraction of them though, and music does sound good on them. 

7s compared to their own family the 40x though, its a tougher one. I'll start by saying the 40x offer way, way better value and even offer more tonal accuracy, but it's only when you swap between the two you hear the flaws of each. What is impressive about the 7s is the treble and upper spectrum detail, even though it's not as tonally accurate, the bass is a bit better than the 40s as well but there's less of it. The 40s not known for being bassy do actually have a bit of prominence there in comparison, but its nothing like the loudness button type effect on the Sonys. The 7 sound less like a closed can than the 40s as well. The detail with the 7s though can be very impressive if it's not always the most comfortable, but again because of the better tonal accuracy of the 40x it does things the 7s cant. There's no doubt the 7's are a step up from them its just a borderline love/hate for me, and not much in the middle either :)   but it's an odd one as I could even be a bit smitten at the same time :D

I'm sure you can equalize a lot of these headphones but that's beside the point. Sometimes we just want to plug them in 'to whatever' and listen.

By far the 40x is the best overall, but at the same time they are not really the best :D Really stupid hobby this is. 

And I've given up with the Beyer's, they are impressive but fit, music with them and sound is not what I'm really wanting especially from a higher value flagship set.

• Upvote 1

I have and use a pair of new to me Grado Sr80e which were bought to replace a pair of Grado Sr60i I had but my wife annexed for late night tv listening . These are fairly modest headphones I know but i use them on my three days a week working commute with a Fiio x5 and love the sound they give me. Only draw back is for other travellers as they do leak out a fair bit of sound.

Edited by bencat
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, bencat said:

I have and use a pair of new to me Grado Sr80e which were bought to replace a pair of Grado Sr60i I had but my wife annexed for late night tv listening . These are fairly modest headphones I know but i use them on my three days a week working commute with a Fiio x5 and love the sound they give me. Only draw back is for other travellers as they do leak out a fair bit of sound.

I had the 60s and the 80s, I thought they were decent headphones. The ones I really liked though were the 125's, to me I preferred how these sounded over the models up even the 225 (or whatever those were). The main issue for me with the Grados was the open thing, if Im sitting in a room on my own listening to headphones I would probably just choose speakers, but obviously headphones do things that speakers cant do and vice versa. I am loving the Audio Technica MSR7s at the moment though, Im not sure if they're burning in or my ears are just adjusting to them (or both) but Im loving them. The detail these fairly modest costing headphones are capable of is just phenomenal. It has to be one of the most detailed pieces of audio Ive ever come across, and its hardly high end prices either.   

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.