New headphones day. Love, hate or on the fence? Any experiences? Or not even looking because you're happy with.....

2 minutes ago, Sam Vimes said:

I have had a long term love/hate relationship with head/ear phones. If I revert to wired listening, I've still got my ancient Sennheiser HD580 Precisions. However, though I acknowledge that they propably aren't as good, I tend to use Wireless Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s. I find that I tend to use headphones for fairly uncritical late night listening. The convenience of wireless connectivity far outweighs other considerations. The one thing I have found down the years is that there are so many head/ear phones that are rendered practically useless by the discomfort of using the damned things. 

I totally understand you there!  I remember the revelation that the original Sennheiser HD-414 were for me in my teens, having only heard ghastly radiogram speakers hitherto.  

I had newer Sennheisers in due course, but the foam always crumbled after a decade or so.  Last year I bought the AKG mentioned by Strider, except mine are Mark III models.  Somehow, I’ve never got around to a serious listen!

I guess I’m lucky that I don’t have to use phones.  Then, perhaps if I did, I’d buy some seriously better models?!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoying my new B&W PX7 Carbon Editions

Ah well, there's no helping some people! 

Own four pairs and they're all different: Grado SR225, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD598 and HD650. Can't tell you the differences as I'm not that articulate but my favourite has to be the HD650... they

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Sennheiser HD-414

I wish they still made these. Super lightweight like youre wearing nothing, and it was a very long time ago since I heard them but from memory they weren't too bad either.

And its great a bit of headphone listening, its there right on your head (or in).

And as for the Audio Technica M50 mentioned earlier, I think the M40 were a better headphone, lighter and sounded more accurate to my ears.  

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a demo pair of Phillips Fidelio X2HD over the weekend until later today, great build and gorgeous looking but sadly the cons outweighed the pros.

Bass was muddy and had distortion from around 40 to 100 Hz. Mid range was nice but too laid back without a great deal of resolution,  upper mids very good and detailed but top end was fizzy with very little detail, it was almost impossible to tell what cymbal was being used on a drum kit.

There was bass distortion even at low to medium volume from the left channel and unreal phasing and harmonics from the right channel from around 3 kHz upwards. Imaging was almost completely absent with little going beyond the cans themselves, despite moving the headband back/forward on my head

Shame as I really wanted to like them as price wise they ticked the boxes in the looks/build/feel/comfort but there must be a very poor QC with regards to the drivers. 

Next! 

Edited by Strider

Sounds like those Philips X2HD were faulty to me.

I had a pair of standard X2 - i''ve no idea of the differences, if any - and while they weren't great with classical [a bit too 'hifi'] they were pretty damn impressive and had none of the flaws you mention.  I sold them to a fellow forum member [rock and similar] who thinks they are wonderful and who ditched his much more expensive Senn 600 in favour of the X2.

Edited by JANDL100
  • Upvote 1

I tried the X2, wasn't bad, maybe as good as the hd600 but less comfortable. Didn't keep though. Still think for me the grado 125 were better than the two, but didn't keep those either, but they did last longer than any other open backs I've had so far. 

• Upvote 1
On 23/11/2019 at 14:46, Nopiano said:

I had newer Sennheisers in due course, but the foam always crumbled after a decade or so.

Not surprisingly, it's something that most long term owners of Sennheisers will have experienced, especially with certain models. However, the nicest bit of that is that it doesn't seem to matter how old Senns get, you can get replacement bits from somewhere, genuine Sennheiser or third party.

I've just fitted new earpads to my PSB M4U-1.
Not that they needed them, they were still as-new - but I've had great results from these pads before so I thought I'd try --- and, wow, the whole sound just opened up, and they are more cumfy.

Stupidly cheap - eBay llinky https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads-Cusion-Covers-for-Sony-HM5-Headphone/123907553627?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=424671473909&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They work great with Beyer DT 250 as well, and are hugely more comfortable that the standard pads which feel kind of crude..

IMO & YMMV :)

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

I experiment with ear pads they can drastically change the character of the sound, not always in a good way either. But for me comfort is one thing I can't ignore and leather or leather type I've pretty much don't like, despite it probably being the best at least for closed backed headphones. And the trouble is any type of cloth type will cause some leaking as well. But I'm just having to live with that these days as I can't ignore the comfort especially for longer sessions. I am going to get around to a hybrid though with leather type sides and cloth where it actually sits on the head, these might be better. 

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

I don't seem to be as sensitive as that, but comfort is a major driver in headphone choice for me as well.

I've yet to find an on-ear or in-ear that I can live with.
KEF M500 and B&O Form 2i have been the most tolerable on-ears, but half hour usage is about my limit.

For me, comfort seems to be based on my earlobes not being touched by the earpad, the type of material is not really relevant although cloth rather than [p]leather tends to be cooler.

Bose in ears are comfortable if you ask me, even the Mrs said they are so comfortable and she cant stand in ear monitors. They actually sit on the outside of the ear canal but in your ear. For me they are the best in ears Ive tried for comfort, they sound decent as well. I started with the noise cancellers and liked them so much I bought the non isolating as well.

With the on ears provided they are very light I dont mind them, in fact they might be the most comfortable type of the lot for me as long as there is foam on them, but they need to be light, like wearing nothing preferably. Of course bigger headphones usually have the best sound.

And leather or leather type for me is either too cold or too warm. How people associate leather with luxury is beyond me.

• Like 1

Bose. O.o
Hmm. :/  I'm not sure I could make myself buy anything Bose. :D

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Bose. O.o
Hmm. :/  I'm not sure I could make myself buy anything Bose. :D

Neither did I :D

I think it gets more hate than it should sometimes. 'Some' of their gear is actually decent. 

• Upvote 1

With my recent experience with the Supremely comfortable and gorgeous build quality Phillips Fidelio X2HD, here are a few reviews that echo my experience. Some of the review waffles on but please take a look at the comments below the video..

#

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/philips-fidelio-x2.20198/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/philips-fidelio-x2.20198/

I think its a case of sheeple hearing a thumping great bass and interpreting it as awesome, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not alone in thinking they are massively over-hyped. I might pop into John Lewis or similar to see if they have a pair for comparison to see if I had a dud pair but somehow I think this is how they actually sound but to many its probably just ticking boxes.  

Edited by Strider
  • Upvote 1

Hey, how about that, I quite liked the X2 - I guess I'm a sheeple! :x:D

But yes, OK, they are a bit overblown - "too hifi" as I described them above.  But nowhere near as monstrous as some folks hear them, imo.

All subjective, innit.

Edited by JANDL100
On 20/11/2019 at 23:20, DougK said:

Own four pairs and they're all different: Grado SR225, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD598 and HD650. Can't tell you the differences as I'm not that articulate but my favourite has to be the HD650... they just feel so right for long listening sessions and are super comfy.

Hi DougK, do you have positive thoughts on the Sennheiser HD598? I'm told they're a bit sweeter thank the newer model HD599. I'm looking for a pair preferably the SE or SR version but not CS (closed)...

Thanks

Mark

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.