As people from the old Linn forum will know, I have been a promotor of using standmounts together with one or more subwoofers over floorstanders. The benefits being:

• Budget friendlier
  • Less visible real estate

I have nothing against larger speakers per se, but as with Linn speakers the 2K and 3K arrays are the most distinct features in their speaker ranges, one can have 'the same' speaker as far as the mids and highs are concerned, while have a totally different speaker for its bass performance, and that makes subwoofers a very attractive proposition combined with the smaller speakers.

As it happens I have accompagnied Paulssurround on a couple of occassions during his roadtrips (basically I was acting as his taxi driver) giving me the opportunity to hear different setups without room modes, so with their bass performance being as good as it gets.

FSchmeisses Komris being the perfect 'as good as it gets' benchmark occassion, but I also heard Mrco99s tiny Klangadang speakers together with a small REL Stampede that I brought with me, and obviously there is my own setup with a pair of REL Strats Vs.

As I'm not the brightest light in the universe, something kept nagging me for almost a year; Paul mentioned in Mrco99s house that the Stampede actually sounded better than my Stratas, and annoyingly he was correct. The lower end performance of my RELs goes deeper, deeper than Komris actually (*), but both the Komris as the REL Stampede sounded tighter.

About 2 weeks ago I mentioned this again to Paul and he suggested that I would try out some Auralex Subdudes and place them underneath my RELs, which I did.

I happen to have a wooden floor, and it is as bouncy as it gets. The effect being that the floor resonated heavily because of my downfiring subs, killing a lot of Bass energy with specific frequencies while making it all around less tight.

Adding the Subdudes decoupled the subs from the springy floor and I'm thrilled with the results. The bass is tight, and with bass heavy tracks, the room gets so much energy, truly amazing. Drum kicks kick, double basses double as never before.

So if you happen to have a springy wooden floor and you happen to have speakers or subs that get very low, try them Subdudes, y'all be amazed. The only downside is that they have a ridiculous name.

Anyway, I no longer crave Komris. I'm sure that in a one-on-one comparison there will be differences, but the Subdudes have decreased the difference to a level that is very easy to live with. Also, Komris wouldn't physically fit in my room, so there's that. 🤔

*) This may be caused by my room working in my advantage, as it has a very friendly room mode lifting the subs performance around 10 to 12Hz.

Edited by Tin
  • Like 1

Thanks Tin, great writeup on the SubDudes. 

The next step for you may be an exploration of some acoustic panelling in your listening room.

I know you have ordered some absorption/diffusion panels, which may have a positive impact on your bass slam and musical enjoyment.  

Of all the audio guys I know, you are one of the biggest advocates of using a Subwoofer in your HiFi system, which naturally makes you, a Sub Dude  😎

Briain is also a seriously motivated bass guy. 

It was wonderful to visit with you on a couple of trips to Holland, and really great to have you drive me to Amsterdam, Groningen, Den Bosch, and Frankfurt

Cheers

52 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I know you have ordered some absorption/diffusion panels, which may have a positive impact on your bass slam and musical enjoyment.  

You know I was planning to order them, but as townhall has increased the local property tax by an impressive margin, that plan has to be postponed for a while.

The absorption panels will have to make up for all the hard boundaries in my room, making it sound a bit too lively/harsh. I guess their shape will also diffuse waves to an extend, but I have no idea if that would improve the bass performance.

And obviously, I'm not going to find out for at least a month or two. :roll:

The subdudes however, great improvement in my room! Affordable too, especially compared to Komris, 350s and/or replacing the bouncy wooden floor by a concrete one. 😊

Talk about a timely post, I was looking at these this morning. They are now on my Amazon wish list. :)

My SubDude arrived today. Seems to do the job, I get a lot less rattle in the room. @Tin I took the spikes off the sub when mounting onto the SubDude. Did you? I thought it was only going to pierce the board covering but can't help think it would isolate the sub further, it's a bit of a one way street if it makes no difference.

For stand mount speakers I recently purchased some Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer platforms between speaker and stands.

Although not cheap , I was surprised just how much of a difference these made to the sound. Detail, bass, separation etc. I even wrote a post on them in the main 2 channel forum but had no replies so assumed people weren't interested! They come either flat, upward or downward facing.

They really can make quite a difference - especially if like me you have suspended wooden floors/ ceilings 

RX5-1-1.jpg

recoil-features.png

10 hours ago, silkie said:

My SubDude arrived today. Seems to do the job, I get a lot less rattle in the room. @Tin I took the spikes off the sub when mounting onto the SubDude. Did you? I thought it was only going to pierce the board covering but can't help think it would isolate the sub further, it's a bit of a one way street if it makes no difference.

I removed the spikes as well, but for different reasons. Previously only one of the subs had spikes, and I put the other one on a slab of stone. That way both of them were the same height and both had some sort of treatment. With the subdudes and the spikes removes, both are also the same height, and the decoupling is equal.

I don't think adding, or keeping the spikes will do a lot. RELs booklet also states that you shouldn't use the spikes unless you need them, so I think we're fine without them.

But, like you I wondered about the piercing, so I was glad I didn't have to think about it.

One thing though; I noticed in my room that with SO in place all ratlles were gone. I don't have much clutter in my house, but my guess is that rattles are (often) related to room modes. So if you are able to first fix the rattles with SO and than adding the subdude, the results could even be better.

10 hours ago, Rayymondo said:

For stand mount speakers I recently purchased some Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer platforms between speaker and stands.

Although not cheap , I was surprised just how much of a difference these made to the sound. Detail, bass, separation etc. I even wrote a post on them in the main 2 channel forum but had no replies so assumed people weren't interested! They come either flat, upward or downward facing.

They really can make quite a difference - especially if like me you have suspended wooden floors/ ceilings

I've been looking at those as well for my 212s, but I figured that as my speakers start to roll off at relative high frequencies, maybe I don't need them. And I have some IKEA rubber things underneath them the speakers, so I'm a hoping that's enough, for now. Budgetary wishful thinking. :roll:

• Like 1

The Primacoustic also just happened to be exactly the right size to plonk my speakers on top off, this helped me decide which solution to go for ;-)

i have a bk sub xls200 FF. I tried the auralex subdude, but I am happier  with the iso acoustics iso 200 sub although only suitable with front firing subs.

Edited by Lorre

I found that spikes made a huge improvement for my sub.

At first I followed Rel's advice but like Tin,  my bouncy wooden floor became another speaker.

The spikes along with a thick slate slab were an huge improvement but the real cherry on the bass cake was "IKEA rubber things"

Edited by LinnJim