Fourlegs

XLR listening test into ATC 40 actives

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

It would be a half-page long.

You said that and put All Night Long Half-Page Long by Lionel Richtea into my head. Dammit.

1714548328_1d288b7e91.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

...maybe he is one of those gimps that like being tied up with a mask on and beaten.

Presumably with a length of Nordost Odin2?

One wonders of course if he could tell the difference between that and being flagellated with something from Maplins.

Edited by notevenclose
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Muckplaster said:

Your record is stuck love.

Cool story bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Presumably with a length of Nordost Odin2?

One wonders of course if he could tell the difference between that and being flagellated with something from Maplins.

I think he secretly loves the pain Nordost brings him, but because his mistress (Keith) whips him with it, he has to show contempt for the pain he experiences, but inwardly, its such a pleasure, hence his obsession with cables...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

I think he secretly loves the pain Nordost brings him, but because his mistress (Keith) whips him with it, he has to show contempt for the pain he experiences, but inwardly, its such a pleasure, hence his obsession with cables...

this is one of the funniest things i have ever read on a forum - great stuff !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2019 at 12:55, parcelmonkey said:

Good point well made.:^

OK just picked on this argument because there is less to read.

1) Firstly TQ cable is not made with ferro material in the plastic , as this would grind down the tooling a would cost TQ to much money, and also have done the experiment it would be the wrong magnetic material (to brittle)  

2) On warming cables up and running in, Two thing happen .

a) The expansion and contraction caused be two dissimilar materials i.e. the wire (Cu not Tq+Cu) and the two insulators (PTFE + PFC) leave a small gap thus reducing the dielectric effect. But this is not the major cause or "Run In Time" But you can speed this up without fancy CD's. Try Freezer for a day then plunge in Hot water and try again. (small changes)

b) But the biggest effect is the exchange and bonding of dissimilar metal in the connection and solder joints. This also accounts for the direction of the cable, the relationship between Plug and socket. I found out years ago when Au Mains plug were brass that correct plating to Cu+Ni+Au and not just Au made a huge difference and after a few months the gold on brass seemed to fade and appear to fall of. This however was not the reason, the Au had defused into the Brass and had vanished from sight but on chemical analysis was still there in the Brass.

Now this happen with cable and speaker but we make it worse when we apply current and the Plugs A and Plugs B take on some of the materials of sockets A and B and visa versa.

And hey ho the cable sounds better because we now have no micro miniature batteries polarising the combination , so it is run in.

The fascinating part about this is Au on Au both ends will never run in and you will never hear a improvement so if the kit sound crap blame the kit or the cable.

Now do not be fooled by the praises of Silver, it is a con, the silver oxide will fall off and continue to fall off until you are back to the base metal, and for this reason I never wanted Silver anywhere near TQ cable, but as you can see the Jacked up prices and marketing have ignored that fact.

Ok now have fun guys pick holes as normal but I have done all the above have YOU?

INCA PLUG.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

@Colin Wonfor Thanks for stepping up on this; hats off to you for doing so.

Re silver: thanks for clarifying.

Re warm-up/run-in/directionality: that sounds like it might be plausible. You've been there and done that and got the T-shirt. I need to put the same challenge out there I have to others though: how close can you get to a scientifically acceptable paper which verifies this?

1) I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry where private money is invested in science which would lead to product developments which ultimately will/should make a profit. But there is also a strong bias towards the publication of peer-reviewed papers for the "common good" (eg sharing research which might lead to a cure for cancer, Parkinson's Disease or whatever) whilst protecting those hoped for profits through patents. So I have no issue per se with manufacturer-funded research but would love to see scientific rigour being applied. Can you point me to anything?

2) My secondary hope is that there might be other applications, entirely different industries, where signal transmission improves or deterioriates as a result of burn-in/directionality. Setting aside whether such changes can be proven or not to be audible (our narrow concern here), if the basic science of the merging of metals or the directionality you describe have benefits or drawbacks in other applications then that increases the chances of there being some "proof" that these are not merely the figments of some vivid imaginations. Again, can you point me to anything?

I ask this as a cable-neutral, not as a cable sceptic.

Thanks in anticipation,

Nigel

PS: I'm conscious that your reply and my response are probably more in this territory (see below) than in XLR cables specifically: please reply wherever you see fit.

Edited by TheFlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

I think he secretly loves the pain Nordost brings him, but because his mistress (Keith) whips him with it, he has to show contempt for the pain he experiences, but inwardly, its such a pleasure, hence his obsession with cables...

Cool story bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Cool story bro.

Thank's.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Colin Wonfor said:

OK just picked on this argument because there is less to read.

1) Firstly TQ cable is not made with ferro material in the plastic , as this would grind down the tooling a would cost TQ to much money, and also have done the experiment it would be the wrong magnetic material (to brittle)  

2) On warming cables up and running in, Two thing happen .

a) The expansion and contraction caused be two dissimilar materials i.e. the wire (Cu not Tq+Cu) and the two insulators (PTFE + PFC) leave a small gap thus reducing the dielectric effect. But this is not the major cause or "Run In Time" But you can speed this up without fancy CD's. Try Freezer for a day then plunge in Hot water and try again. (small changes)

b) But the biggest effect is the exchange and bonding of dissimilar metal in the connection and solder joints. This also accounts for the direction of the cable, the relationship between Plug and socket. I found out years ago when Au Mains plug were brass that correct plating to Cu+Ni+Au and not just Au made a huge difference and after a few months the gold on brass seemed to fade and appear to fall of. This however was not the reason, the Au had defused into the Brass and had vanished from sight but on chemical analysis was still there in the Brass.

Now this happen with cable and speaker but we make it worse when we apply current and the Plugs A and Plugs B take on some of the materials of sockets A and B and visa versa.

And hey ho the cable sounds better because we now have no micro miniature batteries polarising the combination , so it is run in.

The fascinating part about this is Au on Au both ends will never run in and you will never hear a improvement so if the kit sound crap blame the kit or the cable.

Now do not be fooled by the praises of Silver, it is a con, the silver oxide will fall off and continue to fall off until you are back to the base metal, and for this reason I never wanted Silver anywhere near TQ cable, but as you can see the Jacked up prices and marketing have ignored that fact.

Ok now have fun guys pick holes as normal but I have done all the above have YOU?

INCA PLUG.jpg

hi colin

a huge thanks for taking time to respond to this thread and giving us your wisdom.

(appreciated as you are indeed one of the few true experts in the industry from what i have read / researched)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turk 182 said:

hi colin

a huge thanks for taking time to respond to this thread and giving us your wisdom.

(appreciated as you are indeed one of the few true experts in the industry from what i have read / researched)

Seee. Big Colin ain't dead! He is here to fight the muck and the fallen plaster and repair to an Inca Tech standard!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Anyone posting on WHF is very familiar. He pretty much only contributed to Cable and Brexit threads in a negative, reactive way....so was seldom proactive.

Yep ! We no TrevC From WHF forum 

Basically every cable is the same regardless of price so you chaps will have to start using Freebie cables you get in the box if they are supplied if not Tescos does the value range  and they are 5 star rated as well by TrevC WHF expert on cables so grab yourself a bargain while stocks last :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Seee. Big Colin ain't dead! He is here to fight the muck and the fallen plaster and repair to an Inca Tech standard!

Big Colin, hey you been looking at my tum, again. :D                or was it the shadow of the tum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin Wonfor said:

Big Colin, hey you been looking at my tum, again. :D                or was it the shadow of the tum.

Just a Scouse form of endearment :)  (even though you never did send me the LS25 prototypes you promised about 18 months ago :))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.