Big band recommendations

plasticpenguin

18 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Looking for really good big band Jazz (swing) albums.

I'm going to order Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie Band and Quincy Jones.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don’t forget the companion album ‘Live at the Sands (Before Frank)’ recorded the same night.

I am lucky to have bought the two CDs together years ago but it can be streamed/downloaded ...

457B4AF7-AE84-4E72-B20B-ADF5B410E3AB.png

• Like 1

Ahh Joe Loss. He called me a very disturbed young man once. :D 

8 hours ago, Colinjg said:

Don't know if this is on brief, but is very enjoyable.

R-748801-1154859302.jpeg.jpg

I've got Miller and Dead Joe Loss. Thanks.

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

I don't think this is really the sort of thing you're after, but it's (comparatively) modern, and very good IMHO:

510wGCmZ3pL._SX425_.jpg

I'll check it out. I'm fine with modern as well as classic Jazz.:^

Sinatra's Swinging Session is a good one and I am  big fan of Ellington's New Orleans Suite.

I don't know of anyone now doing big band stuff now. I wouldn't think it is commercially viable unless you enter Buble territory.

Edited by oldius

Maybe dip into this programme

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m62h5/episodes/player

I used to listen to it a few years ago when it was run by an old DJ (can't remember his name :oops:).

Stan Kenton and Harry James may interest you (or not).

ronnie

Here you go

Allan Dell

Edited by Man in a van

All cracking suggestions gentlemen. This'll keep me busy for a while, as some of these artists I'm not familiar with.

Thank you. :^

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've ordered this

image.jpeg.da247f5415071d6b499f646c8878a9ee.jpeg

Also ordered Sinatra at The sands, both on vinyl.

Here is a suggestion... I have listened to
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-rca-mw0000460274

Cape Verde's Césaria Évora was 47 years old before her career really took off on an international level in the late '80s, and she quickly became known as the foremost purveyor of the morna, which blends West African percussion with Portuguese fados, Brazilian modhinas, and British sea shanties into beautiful and haunting songs of longing, and she is equally at home singing coladera, which are songs that flip the coin on morna from sad longing to joyous playfulness. This set draws from her various RCA releases, and includes Evora's warm, soft-burred tenor on blues-steeped laments like her signature "Sodade," which finds her vocal turning melancholic, lilting, and then quietly joyous, all within a phrase or two.

Cesaria

The Best (of RCA)

La Diva Aux Pieds Nus
Miss Perfumado
Sodade, O Melhor de Cesaria Evora
Sodade - Les Plus Belles Mornas de Cesaria

Sorry didn't resize the above field. Interesting the picture I just found is on BMC (prefer them to RCA anyway!)

Just to let you know that Current Chromium engine (chrome browser from Google) seems to have problems with the forum for edits and also quotes. Firefox seems a little better in some aspects. I was using Edge though not really much longer - these are my 3 pinned browsers in Win10. So soz if I have added some whitespace to the forum recentlly for no reason - Chrome issue or HTML standard issue with our forum software (looks like the former!).

R I P

cesaria 61YU0HRnQxL.jpg

Edited by Millennium
browsers mozilla 2019

1 hour ago, Millennium said:

Here is a suggestion... I have listened to
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-rca-mw0000460274

Cape Verde's Césaria Évora was 47 years old before her career really took off on an international level in the late '80s, and she quickly became known as the foremost purveyor of the morna, which blends West African percussion with Portuguese fados, Brazilian modhinas, and British sea shanties into beautiful and haunting songs of longing, and she is equally at home singing coladera, which are songs that flip the coin on morna from sad longing to joyous playfulness. This set draws from her various RCA releases, and includes Evora's warm, soft-burred tenor on blues-steeped laments like her signature "Sodade," which finds her vocal turning melancholic, lilting, and then quietly joyous, all within a phrase or two.

Sorry didn't resize the above field. Interesting the picture I just found is on BMC (prefer them to RCA anyway!)

Just to let you know that Current Chromium engine (chrome browser from Google) seems to have problems with the forum for edits and also quotes. Firefox seems a little better in some aspects. I was using Edge though not really much longer - these are my 3 pinned browsers in Win10. So soz if I have added some whitespace to the forum recentlly for no reason - Chrome issue or HTML standard issue with our forum software (looks like the former!).

R I P

cesaria 61YU0HRnQxL.jpg

Not heard of this artist before.

I have thought about one my dad had back in the 1970s. It always sounded great on our radiogram.

image.jpeg.a807dfbfcf8143ebc36726029b14cc5e.jpeg

For some reason it just disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

Both have turned up (more accurately, collected from Argos) and played the Ella and Lois and thickness of the vinyl -- it's more like Bakelite. The SQ, in mono, is absolutely superb. Very happy.

Haven't tried the Sinatra at the Sands yet. I'll give that whirl later this evening.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :^