Do your “standards” go higher as you upgrade?

Iceman 16

14 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

This is my biggest problem. I won't upgrade anything unless the sound represents the price point.

Or put another way, when I was looking to upgrade from the Arcam A65 Plus I heard many better amps (Roksan Kandy, Creek Evo2, Rotel RA-03, Marantz 8003 etc etc...) but the SQ wasn't good enough to justify the price tag. i.e. those amps weren't 200, 300 or 400 pounds better than I already had in overall sound and live-with quality, if you catch my drift.

In a nutshell, my standards are  therefore governed by the end result: Sound quality.   

Very true. Only the Primare has my ear (the MA 2000 is a good studio amp ).

4 minutes ago, Millennium said:

Wow. Any kits you May Recommend?? Please P M ME

If you want to experiment with low power tranny amps, a good place to start is the (now venerable) Lindsay Hood Class A amp - around 10-15 watts of pure Class A goodness. Needs plenty of heat sinking, but a great little project. There are Chinese kits available off Ebay - I have built one.

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

If you want to experiment with low power tranny amps, a good place to start is the (now venerable) Lindsay Hood Class A amp - around 10-15 watts of pure Class A goodness. Needs plenty of heat sinking, but a great little project. There are Chinese kits available off Ebay - I have built one.

Thanks Tony! Perhaps when we do meet you could bring it along and I could have a gaze :rofl:

1 minute ago, Millennium said:

Thanks Tony! Perhaps when we do meet you could bring it along and I could have a gaze :rofl:

I brought it along to the Wam show in Kegworth - it may well be there again next year.

I think a good metaphor is wine. If you find you have a taste for it, and many don't, then you may get tempted to try 'better' ones. Different people like different regions, such as Northern Rhone vs Burgundy vs Bordeaux, and within each of those is a myriad of detail; and that is just one country. As your knowledge and taste improve you may still like what you used to enjoy, but you also recognise its shortcomings.

My father advised me NOT to develop a taste for fine wine, but what a world of experience to deny yourself; seems to me that HiFi & music have many parallels.

Same could be said for road bikes, or cars...the temptation to spend more and more to get better and better is always there.

2 hours ago, Millennium said:

Wow. Any kits you May Recommend?? Please P M ME

Not my area I am afraid. This is the bones of the original one...

2ndsecd.jpg.d9ba5bef61d8cb1024993b2e727db82b.jpg

pre cad circuit...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony_J said:

I brought it along to the Wam show in Kegworth - it may well be there again next year.

sweet (I need to come from London somehow= sorry I keep missing U all)

5 hours ago, Tony_J said:

excellent  4 chan here we come! (smilies don't link : PSA)

If you don't mind since pics 2 and 3 are in chinese (probably 'simplified ' so to speak) do you think they are ok? there are a couple of prebuilt options with PSU I would like to play around from the point of the assembled boards. I should have 2 pairs on the way soon (no CC on PP so I hope so ...)

27 minutes ago, Millennium said:

sweet (I need to come from London somehow= sorry I keep missing U all)

excellent  4 chan here we come! (smilies don't link : PSA)

If you don't mind since pics 2 and 3 are in chinese (probably 'simplified ' so to speak) do you think they are ok? there are a couple of prebuilt options with PSU I would like to play around from the point of the assembled boards. I should have 2 pairs on the way soon (no CC on PP so I hope so ...)

Hard to tell with these items - I take the view that at the price, there's not much lost if they don't work. I'm building a second pair that have the PSU components on board, as those do, so may be very similar:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323440116723

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

too bright/detailed sounding

"Bright" equipment may give an impression of detail but this is not the result of a higher ability to resolve low-level detail.

Unfortunately it's become fashionable for manufacturers to design "bright-sounding" speakers and this has led to many people associating "resolving power" with "hardness" and too much treble.

A real high-resolution system or equipment will sound detailed when playing at low levels and smooth-sounding when played loud. Such systems can be used at much higher SPLs without causing tiredness but will retain detail when played at low levels.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tuga said:

A real high-resolution system or equipment will sound detailed when playing at low levels and smooth-sounding when played loud. Such systems can be used at much higher SPLs without causing tiredness but will retain detail when played at low levels.

Can you give an example of a system or speakers in particular?

8 hours ago, tuga said:

"Bright" equipment may give an impression of detail but this is not the result of a higher ability to resolve low-level detail.

Unfortunately it's become fashionable for manufacturers to design "bright-sounding" speakers and this has led to many people associating "resolving power" with "hardness" and too much treble.

Some source material also carries this problem. Not that it is overly loud and clipped digitally (say - Vinyl doesn't carry this quirk) just perhaps someone at some desk decided to play with it's EQ.
I think the warmth of the sound can be a massive incentive to listen, still we do rely on source material quality as music listeners and I think that valves covering up messed up engineering and mics - those days are behind us. My Comete EX are quite bright and so they are in the living room with a thumper amp. DAC to be changed I think.

21 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Or to be strictly accurate, music makes the world go oblate spheroid... :pop:

To be even more strictly accurate, I think you'll find that it's not music that is the cause :P.

12 hours ago, tuga said:

Agreed. 

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

To be even more strictly accurate, I think you'll find that it's not music that is the cause :P.

Really...? :dunno: