greybeard

2019/2020 Football season

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

The Premier League's secretive delaying tactics with the Newcastle takeover have succeeded - the Saudis are quite rightly fed up with it & have told them to shove it.

I believe the delay was something to do with Saudi pirating of beIN TV coverage.  Commercial misbehaviour being more important than human rights abuses.

Edited by awkwardbydesign

On 18/07/2020 at 04:01, Von Krolock said:

Dirty Leeds are back up so put on yer shin pads now lads.
Leeds v Chelsea twice next season  - top entertainment.

Love to big Jackie Charlton..

Can I recommend a YouTube video of an old MOTD game circa 65/66 Chelsea v Leeds that I watched the other day. Everyone remembers the kicking-fest that was the 1970 FA Cup Final, but there's a tackle in the first few minutes of this league game that would result in a jail sentence today. Chelsea full back Eddie McCreadie sythes down Johnny Giles and breaks his leg. Dear old Kenneth Wolstenholme casually describes it as an accidental collision :D   Don't shed any tears for Giles though, he was one of the dirtiest players ever to go on a football pitch and was a master of the sneaky over the top tackle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DIB said:

Can I recommend a YouTube video of an old MOTD game circa 65/66 Chelsea v Leeds that I watched the other day. Everyone remembers the kicking-fest that was the 1970 FA Cup Final, but there's a tackle in the first few minutes of this league game that would result in a jail sentence today. Chelsea full back Eddie McCreadie sythes down Johnny Giles and breaks his leg. Dear old Kenneth Wolstenholme casually describes it as an accidental collision :D   Don't shed any tears for Giles though, he was one of the dirtiest players ever to go on a football pitch and was a master of the sneaky over the top tackle.

Ken Wolstenholme & his beautiful euphemisms are lost to us - the 1970 cup final & its repeat are still shockers.
Yes - smiling Giles looked like his Mum's pet in a way but appearances were wholly deceptive....
The FA cup was the big one back then when player's wages were in five figures.

Dear old gone Norman Hunter was one of the most 'physical' players ever - in a team that also had Bremner & Lorimer ..Cooper, Madeley, Reaney & all the others..

Edited by Von Krolock

8 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

That's right - the pirated broadcasting of football games let us off the hook. 
A football club backed by the funds from a corrupt regime were never going to sit well.
The Club's followers have no say in these matters but you could be assured that we would have taken it in the neck from some quarters  if the deal had gone through.
We remain as we were.

Posted (edited)

I'm a Man Utd fan and when I used to be on Facebook I followed a United fans page, Stretty News.  Some of the nonsense and pure bile spouted by a handful of people was unbelievable in it's pure ignorance. There were some really good contributors but alas they tended to be shouted down by some of the more moronic fans. However, for the first half of this season when the football was dire and everyone seemed to be calling for Ole's head and the removal of the Glazers from owning the club, it was frightening how many people were desperate for us to be taken over by the Saudi Royal Family, as was the ongoing story at the time. They were completely oblivious to the human rights angle to all this, all they saw was the £/$ signs and who we could buy etc. I was of the opinion that should we ever go down that road then that would have been the end for me. The Glazers are odious in their own way in as much as they have milked the club for all it's worth over the years, treating it as their own special cash cow, but to the best of my knowledge they don't go round ordering assassinations and bombing women and children.

Edited by DIB

On 31/07/2020 at 09:08, DIB said:

It was actually September 1964 and the incident with Giles and McCreadie is right at the beginning of the coverage. I misquoted Kenneth Wolstenholme above, he actually describes the leg breaking kick as "an unfortunate accident" :D  Here's the link.. 

Super Wammer

Nerves starting to set in prior to The FA Cup Final, should be a good game, COYG !!!

Lets hope I can lift the cup again :oj:

WP_20170806_11_00_34_Pro.jpg.69dbb897c522d0843a96c2df241dbf6e.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Well a great end to a poor season, well done Arsenal!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Well a great end to a poor season, well done Arsenal!

Great start from Chelsea scored and they thought it was all over after 10 mins , Aubameyang is the best nerveless finisher I seen for many a year.

• Like 1

As a neutral, when Chelsea went 1 up and Arsenal were under the cosh early doors (copyright: Ron Atkinson :)) I said to my wife I might log onto my Paddy Power account and see what odds I'd get for Arsenal to win 3-1 and Aubameyang to score a hat-trick. I didn't bother in the end but fast forward 60 mins and I was starting to kick myself. Luckily he didn't bag another.  That second goal was a class finish, and the penalty was exactly how I like to see my penalties taken ie. no faffing about, hit hard and in the corner (Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford please take note)

Our boy Mason Greenwood is the best finisher at the club and he's only 18.  He could develop into one of the the best ever, but how many 18 year olds have we said that about over the years?

• Like 1

Well done Arsenal, played a great game, and looks like Arteta is getting his system across...

Keeping Aubameyang is key, and massive strengthening is required, let’s see if the board will give him the funds needed..

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Well it has been quite season and one that I do not think we will ever see the like of again . There is still the small matter of the Europa and Champions League to be sttled and we have PL interest in both . Arsenal have gaine another FA Cup which in my view is well deserved but still papering over the cracks of a side that needs a very big over haul . Man City are looking to buy some defenders but in my view are not looking at the right ones but Pep know much better than I do so we will see . Chelsea are starting to look a real prospect for next season but i think it may be sadly with the loss game time for the youngsters that gave them such a good start and proved entertaining early on in the season . Manchester United are just not recognisable as the same team pre Fernandes but there is still issues and while they may well be top four I find it hard to think they will be real contenders but then again what do i know. Liverpool have had a massive and important year the PL was needed to get that monkey off their back . Now the real hard part to get all of those players to go again and work and perform at the highest level week in and week out . We will need additions to the squad but not as many as people may think . We do need to use the young players like Brewster which is a real prospect and Jones and Williams (though he is shadowing Trent so good luck with that ) . We also have others bought last year who may will the Centre Half shoes . But we need to have an alternative to the front three and Origi good player that he is is not that alternative . He may well be better off in another side . We also need some one with real creativity in the mid field just not sure that it is out there . Liverpool FC - Champions of England , Champions of Europe , Champions of the World even if only for a few more weeks and now people are going to have to believe us we are Champions and I hope this not the only time in the next few years .

Super Wammer

Love it :)

• Haha 1

Barcelona 2 - Bayern 8 !!!!

The result is not a surprise, but the magnitude of the victory is staggering. Barca were an absolute joke and the defending was at best Sunday League level at times. Their insistance on playing out from the back irrespective of the situation was pure kamikaze. Yet another example of a once great team who now look old, slow, and need a complete overhaul from top to bottom. Having said that it's no disgrace to lose to this Bayern team, they were brilliant, but the lack of fight and application by Barca was disgraceful.