Aktiv Majik 140’s, to Aktiv Akubark’s Anyone?

OK. So I’ve finally ‘bitten the bullet’, and gone from an AK/1, to a KK/2/B. I’ve been coveting one for a while. And MY WORD!! WHAT an improvement! I just wished I’d done it about ten years ago!

It’s in a modest system, of 2 x Majik 4100’s, piped through to Aktiv 140’s with upgraded aluminium bases, with an additional Majik 126. And it now sounds sublime.

i’m just wondering (as we all do, I’m sure!?) what if I ditched the whole Majik system, and piped the KK/2 into Aktiv Akubarik’s via XLR, would this be a big improvement? Has anyone made such a move?

I’d be looking for purely Aktiv Akubariks, rather than Exakt. I don’t want to buy into the Exakt system, and would rather keep my Roon Nucleus/Chord Hugo TT2, and other analogue front ends.

I've used Aktiv Akubariks for the last 6 years (since introduction) and have been extremely pleased with them.  They are more than capable of revealing improvements in the front end of your system.  Don't forget you'll need access to mains power too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ian H said:

I've used Aktiv Akubariks for the last 6 years (since introduction) and have been extremely pleased with them.  They are more than capable of revealing improvements in the front end of your system.  Don't forget you'll need access to mains power too.

Cheers for this Ian. Much appreciated! xD

Not quite what you are looking for, but I have moved from Active MISOs with Majik amps and a MDSM, to an Exakt Akubarik system.  The upgrade has been an eye (ear) opener.  The Majik system was OK but not quite what I wanted; not enough body or bottom end.  Great for background music but not for a good listening session; too much was missing.  A chance listen to a pair of Exakt Akubariks at my dealers when in there for a completely different reason along with a good trade in deal saw me make the move.

Aktiv Akubariks are quite something and as I have played with SO and upgrades to ethernet  and mains cables, the quality of the music has gone from strength to strength.  I am very pleased with the change and friends who have called for a listen have commented very positively on the upgrade. 

It is a revealing system and you have to accept the warts as well as the beauty.  Some recordings are simply just poor.  Good recordings are simply wonderful to listen to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Snug said:

Not quite what you are looking for, but I have moved from Active MISOs with Majik amps and a MDSM, to an Exakt Akubarik system.  The upgrade has been an eye (ear) opener.  The Majik system was OK but not quite what I wanted; not enough body or bottom end.  Great for background music but not for a good listening session; too much was missing.  A chance listen to a pair of Exakt Akubariks at my dealers when in there for a completely different reason along with a good trade in deal saw me make the move.

Aktiv Akubariks are quite something and as I have played with SO and upgrades to ethernet  and mains cables, the quality of the music has gone from strength to strength.  I am very pleased with the change and friends who have called for a listen have commented very positively on the upgrade. 

It is a revealing system and you have to accept the warts as well as the beauty.  Some recordings are simply just poor.  Good recordings are simply wonderful to listen to.

Cheers for this. Much appreciated! :)

I think the problem for me is, is that I’ve had my Majik Aktiv system for around ten years now. And it hasn’t missed a beat. I just love it.

BUT I’m getting to the age (50) where: 1) I’m looking at my ‘end-game’ system, where I’ve probably only got a couple of decades left on this shitty piece of rock (!?), and 2) I have a bit of cash available (or I could even borrow a bit?), and I’m thinking that I really don’t give a fuck about the cost implications (within reason!)

The injection of the KK has made me realise just how much this system can do, in its present state. Aktiv Akubariks would probably be the ‘end-game’ for me.

i think I’ll need to have a listen... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

Cheers for this. Much appreciated! :)

I think the problem for me is, is that I’ve had my Majik Aktiv system for around ten years now. And it hasn’t missed a beat. I just love it.

BUT I’m getting to the age (50) where: 1) I’m looking at my ‘end-game’ system, where I’ve probably only got a couple of decades left on this shitty piece of rock (!?), and 2) I have a bit of cash available (or I could even borrow a bit?), and I’m thinking that I really don’t give a fuck about the cost implications (within reason!)

The injection of the KK has made me realise just how much this system can do, in its present state. Aktiv Akubariks would probably be the ‘end-game’ for me.

i think I’ll need to have a listen... 

Moving to the Aktiv Akubariks will be a superb improvement for your system, and will nicely compliment your KK upgrade.

IMHO, there is no reason to hesitate  the purchase of the Akubariks, as they will be a wholesale transformation of your system on every level.   

My Akubariks started as Aktiv Akubariks, before I upgraded them to Exakt, and now to Katalyst.

They have improved significantly with each upgrade and tweak, and  continue to impress every day I play them.

Cheers

• Like 1

A couple of observations on the practicalities of this question, then some thoughts.

First - you can no longer buy a pair of non-Exakt Aktiv Akubariks from Linn

Second - I suspect the secondhand choice of Aktiv Akubariks to be rapidly diminishing to pretty much zero, as I think there will be very few left that haven't be converted over to Exakt.

And that last point, IMHO, is why its worth you hearing Exakted Akubariks.  With Katalyst now in the mix, Exakted Akubariks are something very special indeed.  Plus, you can find them on the used market :)

Looking on ebay just now, there's a pair of Exakt Akubariks going for £11k (add £4k for an upgrade to Katalyst).  That's a £9.5k passive speaker, plus 10 channels of amplification and 10 channels of DAC for that money.  Just add an Akurate Exakt DSM which typically will sell for £1600 at a couple of years old and you have one box and two speakers for a complete system and minimal mess.  Don't forget that SPACE optimisation for Exakt does a much better job than the equivalent analogue version too.

If you're truly thinking about "end game" then buying into Exakt has no issues really, you can still use your analogue sources and Katalyst DACs are possibly (I say possibly because personal choice adds doubt) and improvement on the TT.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Moving to the Aktiv Akubariks will be a superb improvement for your system, and will nicely compliment your KK upgrade.

IMHO, there is no reason to hesitate  the purchase of the Akubariks, as they will be a wholesale transformation of your system on every level.   

My Akubariks started as Aktiv Akubariks, before I upgraded them to Exakt, and now to Katalyst.

They have improved significantly with each upgrade and tweak, and  continue to impress every day I play them.

Cheers

Cheers Paul. I really appreciate your insight. Thanks again! :^

9 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

A couple of observations on the practicalities of this question, then some thoughts.

First - you can no longer buy a pair of Aktiv Akubariks from Linn

Second - I suspect the secondhand choice of Aktiv Akubariks to be rapidly diminishing to pretty much zero, as I think there will be very few left that haven't be converted over to Exakt.

And that last point, IMHO, is why its worth you hearing Exakted Akubariks.  With Katalyst now in the mix, Exakted Akubariks are something very special indeed.  Plus, you can find them on the used market :)

Looking on ebay just now, there's a pair of Exakt Akubariks going for £11k (add £4k for an upgrade to Katalyst).  That's a £9.5k passive speaker, plus 10 channels of amplification and 10 channels of DAC for that money.  Just add an Akurate Exakt DSM which typically will sell for £1600 at a couple of years old and you have one box and two speakers for a complete system and minimal mess.  Don't forget that SPACE optimisation for Exakt does a much better job than the equivalent analogue version too.

Cheers sunbeamgls!

Yes, I thought that Linn had stopped producing Aktiv Akubariks. I thought that any purchase along these lines would be used/flea-bay etc.

Linn seem intent on Exakt as the way forward. I just don’t want to ‘lock’ myself into that particular technological cul-de-sac, and I enjoy the flexibility of using other (non-Linn) sources. I fully appreciate your perspective, and if I ‘starting from zero’ as a twenty-something, then Exakt would definitely be the way to go. As it is, I’m an old bugger, with old kit, so I just don’t know?

i know what you’re advocating, and for good reason - ditch the Roon Nucleus, TT2, KK/2, and Majik amps & the 140’s too, and just go for a nice, sleek DSM/Exakt Akubarik set-up with SO etc. It makes perfect sense. The ‘problem’ is, I use headphones an awful lot (small child alert!), and the TT2 not only sounds sublime, but also functions as a superlative DAC/headphone amplifier. And I don’t think I’m ready to chuck all my eggs in one basket with Exakt.

Cheers though, for proposing a very rational, and very sensible way forward! :D

2 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Cheers sunbeamgls!

Yes, I thought that Linn had stopped producing Aktiv Akubariks. I thought that any purchase along these lines would be used/flea-bay etc.

Linn seem intent on Exakt as the way forward. I just don’t want to ‘lock’ myself into that particular technological cul-de-sac, and I enjoy the flexibility of using other (non-Linn) sources. I fully appreciate your perspective, and if I ‘starting from zero’ as a twenty-something, then Exakt would definitely be the way to go. As it is, I’m an old bugger, with old kit, so I just don’t know?

i know what you’re advocating, and for good reason - ditch the Roon Nucleus, TT2, KK/2, and Majik amps & the 140’s too, and just go for a nice, sleek DSM/Exakt Akubarik set-up with SO etc. It makes perfect sense. The ‘problem’ is, I use headphones an awful lot (small child alert!), and the TT2 not only sounds sublime, but also functions as a superlative DAC/headphone amplifier. And I don’t think I’m ready to chuck all my eggs in one basket with Exakt.

Cheers though, for proposing a very rational, and very sensible way forward! :D

Using the optical output from an Exakt DSM into your Hugo give you all the headphoneness you need :)

I was thinking about your "end game" comment.  Exakt "lock in" doesn't really matter as an end game, and you get to keep all your existing sources too, and I think the Nucleus can be used as your "NAS" but you'd need to do a bit more digging on that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Using the optical output from an Exakt DSM into your Hugo give you all the headphoneness you need :)

I was thinking about your "end game" comment.  Exakt "lock in" doesn't really matter as an end game, and you get to keep all your existing sources too, and I think the Nucleus can be used as your "NAS" but you'd need to do a bit more digging on that.

Cheers! :goodone:

Why not the Klimax 350. Look at Cymbiosis. There‘s one pair in walnut.and a very nice pair of Akudoriks for small money in walnut, too.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 22:12, sunbeamgls said:

and I think the Nucleus can be used as your "NAS" but you'd need to do a bit more digging on that.

Only as a roon core - it can't run anything else.

3 hours ago, DB1328 said:

Why not the Klimax 350. Look at Cymbiosis. There‘s one pair in walnut.and a very nice pair of Akudoriks for small money in walnut, too.

Both great options.

Thinking forward, as an end game system, wondering if the 350's will fit in the small seniors home room when Kelly200269 turns 85  

Will the nurses tolerate him playing Metalica at 100 dB  xD

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Both great options.

Thinking forward, as an end game system, wondering if the 350's will fit in the small seniors home room when Kelly200269 turns 85  xD

Mmmm...

Cheers Paul! A pair of 350A’s would be lovely. I’ll have to keep my eye out for a pair.

And once the nursing home calls, I would always do this:

60A383CD-3A99-4F90-845B-D021D2FA2B9D.jpeg

• Like 1