Aktiv Majik 140’s, to Aktiv Akubark’s Anyone?

28 minutes ago, BB1 said:

As I don’t have access to neither the schematics nor the PCB layouts, don’t take my comments as the absolute truth. They are just based on reverse engineering and educated guesses based on my profession. In my system (no analogue sources in use) there should be no difference between an AEDSM and a KEDSM. Nevertheless, IMHO there is. From an engineers point of view, the only reason is less coupled-in input noise from the network to the rest of the system.

I think that you hit the nail on the head in your post generally and in this observation in particular. I well remember that when the 'E' DSMs were launched, no-one on the Linn forum could offer any reason why the KEDSM should sound any better than the AEDSM. But, like you, I discovered that it did.

I think that the reason is more that there are a number of design and engineering differences which combine to make a noticeable improvement. In hindsight, we could also have taken a page from the LP12 book. The board in the Akurate version of the Radikal is identical to the one in the Klimax-style machined case. But the general opinion is that the version in the machined case sounds a bit better. As Paulssurround has reminded us quite recently, vibration control and prevention of microphony are necessary parts of the noise reduction strategy for any system. The Klimax models have been engineered with fewer compromises, which is reflected in their performance and even more in their cost.

David

On 07/09/2019 at 10:19, Moomintroll said:

Yes, very informative BB1, although I’m under the impression that 350s have multiple power supplies. I seem to recall that explaining the cost of the Dynamik upgrade.

’troll

First of all, it makes a lot of sense that 350s have multiple power supplies. Even "passive" 350s do already contain an internal power supply responsible for driving the two servo basses with a power rating of about 2x 500 W (RMS rated, as 2x 1000 W seems to be a marketing driven peak output figure). Hence another power supply per speaker is needed at Klimax level. This power supply needs to supply the four remaining channels and the active crossovers. Therefore it’s not too surprising to me at all that 350s driven by 4 A2200s or 4 Twins in conjunction with Klimax Tuneboxes sound better than integral Aktviv 350s. Six truly independent power supplies instead of just two.

Thanks BB1. Your observations on power supplies in the Akurate amps could well explain why they sound better than Majik, even when still running at low volumes only on the monolithics

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2019 at 17:58, The Snug said:

Not quite what you are looking for, but I have moved from Active MISOs with Majik amps and a MDSM, to an Exakt Akubarik system.  The upgrade has been an eye (ear) opener.  The Majik system was OK but not quite what I wanted; not enough body or bottom end.  Great for background music but not for a good listening session; too much was missing.  A chance listen to a pair of Exakt Akubariks at my dealers when in there for a completely different reason along with a good trade in deal saw me make the move.

Aktiv Akubariks are quite something and as I have played with SO and upgrades to ethernet  and mains cables, the quality of the music has gone from strength to strength.  I am very pleased with the change and friends who have called for a listen have commented very positively on the upgrade. 

It is a revealing system and you have to accept the warts as well as the beauty.  Some recordings are simply just poor.  Good recordings are simply wonderful to listen to.

I have been reading this thread with interest for a while since it was first started and have decided to contribute, even though my views are off the original topi as posted.

I have heard passive Akubariks driven by Akurate amplifiers, but then I heard them after they had been converted to Aktive mode, this time being powered by Akurate 4200 x 2 and 2200 x1. This made a worthwhile improvement. I agree that with great recordings they sounded divine (eg Love Over Gold album by D Straits) and with other albums they were practically unlistenable (eg Istra on the Anatomical Venus album by Black Moth), which did perplex me a little- I did try to rationalise that it was the production. However, when the same poor albums were played through my Naim muSo Qb, they sounded very listenable.

At a later date the Akubariks were replaced by passive 350's (which had been converted to aktive mode) and the poor quality recordings were now very listenable indeed and great recordings were improved, but sometimes the improvement was subtle. Other differences were in resolved detail of recordings, wider soundstage, much better quality bass etc.Indeed, on the Lets Get Lucky track by Daft Punk, bass was revealed which just did not exist with the Akubariks. Female vocals have more "body" and warmth, I now enjoy listening to The Dixi Chicks and Eva Cassidy. 

Interesting observation on the bass presentation / depth.  I have Exakt Akubariks and I find no issues with this.  Maybe the additional element I have is the Exakt? 

Tracks sounding listenable on your Naim makes sense, in the same way stuff sounds OK on the DAB radio in the kitchen; much music is mixed to sound great in the car or on the radio. However when the same tracks are played on a more revealing system, the flaws in the recording become evident. i used to be frustrated at times with my old Naim system (555/552/Snaxo 362/300/DBLs) for this very reason. A CD that sounded great on headphones and in the car, sounded pants on the system.

My holy grail for years was to get my 2 speaker system sounding as good as on a pair of Senn HD480 headphones I had in the 80s.  It is only now with my current system and the tuning offered by SO that I am getting close to the goal. For me, SO has been a game changer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Snug said:

Maybe the additional element I have is the Exakt? 

Not so long ago an employee of my dealer replaced integrated active 350s by integrated Exakt Akubariks…

Edited by BB1

On 01/10/2019 at 12:27, The Snug said:

Interesting observation on the bass presentation / depth.  I have Exakt Akubariks and I find no issues with this.  Maybe the additional element I have is the Exakt? 

Dear Snug, I did not mean to imply that aktive akubariks were poor in the bass presentation/depth, because I was very happy with those attributes, even when comparing akubariks in passive mode against other loud speakers during a dem- with passive Linn front end. 

Perhaps I should clarify that I did have klimax exakt dsm, klimax exakt boxes x 2, akurate 4200 x 2, akurate 2200 and akubariks (converted to aktive). The akubariks were later replaced by 350’s. My loudspeaker comparison is with unchanged front end.