robbie010

Speakers for use with Low Power Valve Amp??

Super Wammer

My first choice speaker for this would be Audio Note but you need to have room corners that are not 8 meters apart as otherwise I would own them. Have heard most in the range at dealers and shows and had the Es at home. 

Super Wammer

I'd agree with the advice about trying with your existing speakers first.

I run a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk 1 floorstanders (rated at 90db sensitivity) with a 7 wpc Audion 300B power amp and don't even get halfway around the clock before it's too loud for me.  No trace of any nasties in the sound even with full-on orchestral or metal.

k

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, khapahk said:

I'd agree with the advice about trying with your existing speakers first.

I run a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk 1 floorstanders (rated at 90db sensitivity) with a 7 wpc Audion 300B power amp and don't even get halfway around the clock before it's too loud for me.  No trace of any nasties in the sound even with full-on orchestral or metal.

k

Have heard those ProAcs a few times and they sound great. 

On 12/08/2019 at 20:21, robbie010 said:

The Heathkits are billed as 10watts output, so a fairly sensitive speaker is in order. I current have Infinity Kappa 600's which are 90db but have large 10" side firing woofers which I assume will not sit well with the 10watts available. Alternatively, I have Kef LS50's but at 85db, again possibly not a great match. Finally, I have Mordaunt Short MS400's, these are probably my best bet, however, I can't find any specs for these that state the sensitivity.

All the original Mordaunt Short speakers and the later Pageant/Festival/Carnival series have simple crossovers and are easy to drive. I wouldn't see any problem there.

I'm not familiar with your Infinitys. Suck it and see.

The Kefs I would have thought would be a definite 'no,' I confess I'm not a fan, they always sound a bit constipated to me (sorry) but they seem to work better with a reasonably hefty amp behind them. A mate changed from a Copland hybrid to a Hegel driving them, still unlikely to get me particularly moist but it did seem to waken them up a bit.

The Heathkit 10 watters are a good choice and require careful matching, as you rightly say.

You can forget Klipsch - the only model  within your £500 budget is the Heresy and they are dire (Ive heard a pair). Besides the corner horns ( the best Klipsch) have to be absolutely flush to the corners (skirting boards are out) for the horn to work (load) and then they are expensive. To boot the bass mid driver is not the best. I heard a pair driven by a Decware which makes your Heathkits seem like a Boulder. That gentleman was the Original Klipsch importer. (I bought my first Vitavox AK157 from him.) There is a Klipsch model (the Belle) which IS designed for free standing away from boundaries but again there is a budget issue here. Simonms makes an excellent speaker that is derived from the Belle. I heard the Belles he owns at his place in Brighton.

I have researched 'high efficiency systems for about 10 years and have had a few systems that can be defined as such - though none are 'full range' types e.g., Lowthers. (That is another ball game..)

An easy-to-find starting point would be a Triangle floorstander - the Antal. (The ESW is the more modern version) I had an early pair which went to Speedracer and have found a new home since then. Speedracer used an EL84 pp Quintet on them and I used a DIY 'Megahertz' (Ita.) - again about 12w a channel. (Quintet may be slightly more powerful.) The Antal has 5 drivers and is a 6 ohm load but their impedance is so flat and unreactive they are a very easy load. (And Brook and I know they work).

Second, I would consider the World Audio Design (WAD) 25T and 25T EX (upgraded tweeter). They are a 2 way floorstander designed as a partner for the WAD valve power amps. They were designed by Peter Comeau of Heybrook fame and there is an interesting article you can find from Hifi World magazine June 2009, wherein he xplains his design parameters for this speaker. Ive never heard them but I did chase a pair once, so they were of serious interest to me then. A pair went for £350 on Gumtree recently.

Thirdly, and echoing what has been said above, the Snell J (standmounters ) and their E11 floorstanding brothers (both models use the same drivers, exceppt the Es have an additional rearfiring tweeter. If you have room, I would opt for the Es (Ive owned both). Its essential to get a pair whose bass/mid drivers have been refurbished. Word on the inside is they dont lose out much to the much pricier Audionote ANJ and ANE in terms of SQ.

I ended up with a pair Of Jantzen TQWTs - a DIY 2 way floorstander which has a remarkable 94 dbw efficiency. They are a rear loaded horn. You should look up the Troels Graveson designs on the internet - very interesting and highly regarded. I like mine a lot driven by a pair of Cary 805 SETs. The icing on the cake was a pair of active subs I added later but they were good on their own too. I should add they are not everybodys cup of Earl Grey - so an audition , as ever, is advised. The Jantzens were £700 (or was it £750?)

Zingalis would be next up the price ladder together with the Odeon Rigolettos (gggorgeous). But that's your first upgrade and one to savour..

That's my 10 pence worth..

Good Luck..

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 1