Cable Monkey

Simple and cheap entry into networked audio...

I can see applications where the OP origional post maybe an advantage for some folk with particular requirements but cant help think it a bit nonsensical to go to all the per lava for a newbie configuring a Pi running the SharePort AirPlay emulator when you can pick up 3rd gen apple tv with proper airplay that roon recognises as a end point and comes with codecs that support a wide range of audio and video formats for £40 and have the real deal plus all the additional features the apple tv gives in a plug and play device.  If not a roon user you still have usb and optical out which can be fed to a to dac for networking using airplay or casting apps.

Picking up old Apple devices isn’t really a sustainable solution but I do actually have an old Apple TV. I’ve no idea what generation it is but I’ll plug it in and see what it does. I already know what it doesn’t do!

I'm just setting up to explore Roon myself only yesterday I installed Roon Rock on a Intel Nuc just have a couple of bios settings to configure and add some codex and it should be fully up and running.

Looking forward to giving it a try.

I’ve been using it for a while and I am an unapologetic fan. Have fun with it and let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

The beta of RopieeeXL now has Spotify support added. Use Spotify Connect to control it.

Edited by Cable Monkey

I came back to RoPieeeXL  as a result of another thread

The install is still a lengthy process but the software has improved and matured quite a bit.:)

Switching between Squeezelite and Spotify/Airplay is now much better

It is almost plug and play for someone with a little experience (I still needed the start-up guide) but a brave beginner will probably get there without too much effort.

I don't know about Squeezelite and DSD as I only have three test files and there is something wrong with my LMS install that I can't be bothered to resolve o.O

There are no user parts to fiddle with, so if one wants a standard Squeezelite Player, Airplay, UPnP and Spotify it might be worth trying.

ronnie

• Upvote 2

I’ve been running it (RoPieeeXL) for a few weeks now, using Spotify Connect and DLNA and have found it to be really stable. I’ve messed around with it a bit to alter the endpoint names “advertised” - they reflect the location and amplifier source rather than the host name. I believe this functionality will be exposed through the UI in an upcoming release. The best part is it supports gapless playback with Spotify.

I had been using Moode, but it’s still missing gapless Spotify playback, but that’s pretty much the only negative. That functionality  should be coming soon.

10 minutes ago, twinpot said:

I had been using Moode, but it’s still missing gapless Spotify playback, but that’s pretty much the only negative

Appears to be fixed, but I haven't tried it

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1507.html#post6284707

11 minutes ago, twinpot said:

I believe this functionality will be exposed through the UI in an upcoming release

I was able to rename the player through the gui :)

Super Wammer
On 20/08/2019 at 13:16, JamieMcC said:

I can see applications where the OP origional post maybe an advantage for some folk with particular requirements but cant help think it a bit nonsensical to go to all the per lava for a newbie configuring a Pi running the SharePort AirPlay emulator when you can pick up 3rd gen apple tv with proper airplay that roon recognises as a end point and comes with codecs that support a wide range of audio and video formats for £40 and have the real deal plus all the additional features the apple tv gives in a plug and play device.  If not a roon user you still have usb and optical out which can be fed to a to dac for networking using airplay or casting apps.

The main reason for me at least is I will not have any Apple products at used in my house or system . The full reasons for this are not really relevant to this thread so will skip them . My main reason here is that all Apple products are closed and if something changes then they are difficult if not impossible to change or add to . Raspberry Pi has infinite ways that it can be altered and change it is the veritable blank canvas and with a download and flash to an SD card it can be changed , updated altered and added to .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1