Nopiano

Ethernet switch - benefits?

Super Wammer

Are there any benefits to the installation of an Ethernet switch, other than the provision of more sockets?

I am asking because I can see there may be a preference to put, say, a PC, NAS and a Streamer all on their own feed. But in my case I simply run a good Ethernet cable from modem/router to my Linn DS streamer.  I don’t use a NAS, and my laptop and iPad connect wirelessly. 

I’m wondering if there is some potential sonic benefits in isolating the ‘hifi’ from the other demands on the router. However, that seems somewhat at odds with the usual HiFi preference for having the simplest path for any signal.

Wot he said.

But you will encounter a number of persons who insist that they have evening and dawn differences and you won’t know unless you try. That your ears are the only criteria. Your curiosity may get the better of you

Super Wammer
Just now, Croma said:

But you will encounter a number of persons who insist that they have evening and dawn differences and you won’t know unless you try. That your ears are the only criteria. Your curiosity may get the better of you

Spot on, I’m already curious!  Obviously, in the analogue domain, any intervening boxes are the last thing we want.  But for reasons perhaps of ‘isolation’, these switches have a following I don’t really understand!

Keyword FOLLOWING. The curious hearers are the ones who decline any effort to understand and have heard they are a good idea.

Keep your cat alive and enjoy your music otherwise Boris will take action.

• Haha 2

You would probably benefit more by also connecting your laptop using an ethernet cable. If you would hear any difference is down to your ears.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Bolosun said:

You would probably benefit more by also connecting your laptop using an ethernet cable. If you would hear any difference is down to your ears.

Thanks, but I scarcely ever listen to it. (I use it mostly for computer things!). When I do stream one of my handful of hi res downloads it seems to manage perfectly to replay wirelessly via my streamer. It did similarly when I used a Squeezebox Touch too. 

11 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks, but I scarcely ever listen to it. (I use it mostly for computer things!). When I do stream one of my handful of hi res downloads it seems to manage perfectly to replay wirelessly via my streamer. It did similarly when I used a Squeezebox Touch too. 

If it ain't broke...

• Like 1

I heard/hear a big increase in SQ after replacing a bog standard switch with a CISCO 2960. Mostly bored of reading theory over the years, some commentators build credibility, I try some things and use my ears. This is fun, intriguing, interesting and leads to better SQ. Others use cynicism...If it ain't broke see if it can be improved on?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I notice the foot tapping Naim followers find massive benefits from 2960’s too.

Nobody seems to explain why. It seems to appeal to ear trusters

Still curious then read this https://community.naimaudio.com/t/is-there-a-particular-cisco-2960-that-people-are-using/3376 it may give some perspective.

Edited by Croma
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Croma said:

I notice the foot tapping Naim followers find massive benefits from 2960’s too.

Nobody seems to explain why. It seems to appeal to ear trusters

Still curious then read this https://community.naimaudio.com/t/is-there-a-particular-cisco-2960-that-people-are-using/3376 it may give some perspective.

Thanks! That’s completely put me off.  What a ridiculous load of guff.  It’s like buying a tractor to mow our tiny back garden!

Besides, users of my Linn seem to favour a simple Netgear device.  Oh, there I go again!

Edited by Nopiano
  • Haha 1

With adding a switch, you are adding a layer to your network. As long as you are using a good cable, connectors, don't add any switch. Also assuming you are well within the spec of cable run length.

Edited by Bolosun
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Bolosun said:

With adding a switch, you are adding a layer to your network. As long as you are using a good cable, connectors, don't add any switch. Also assuming you are well within the spec of cable run length.

Exactly, and that’s why I’m puzzled that so many do this.  The modem/router we have from Plusnet is a cheap-looking plastic thing, so adding a bomb-proof switch seems daft.  I’m using a decent Cat 6 Ethernet cable, 10 metres long, which runs from the hall (where the BT Master socket lives) into the living room, around the bay window to my streamer.  I keep it as far from mains and signal cables as possible too.