Nopiano

Ethernet switch - benefits?

There are a couple of things that do need to be said when discussing networking.

Firstly getting bits from A to B without dropping any, and in the correct order is relatively trivial. No information should be lost in a typical simple home network. If any are you have something fundamentally wrong that can reliably be classified a fault. Not a ‘weakness’ in any particular technology. And that extends in most cases to wireless operation.

Secondly, managed switches are meant for businesses that operate significantly larger and busier networks. As such they are built to a better standard than most unmanaged SOHO switches. It isn’t the management aspect that makes the difference. It is the fact that the electrical isolation is better, most have properly sorted power and they can actually switch multiples of the individual speed of their ports. So better magnetics, decent power and properly dimensioned throughput capabilities make these better, and not their managed aspect. Short of slowing a port to a streamer to 100mb/s there is little you can configure to improve matters. But you can mess things up by making changes without knowing what it is you are doing. For me a lot of complication is added to networks unnecessarily. 

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Sorry if this seems a of dense but can I ask if what you are saying above is that adding in a switch is most probably not necessary . If you still decide to do it then buy a managed switch as this is better quality than the unmanaged units. 

Does the better quality apply to all managed switches or just certain models .

2 hours ago, bencat said:

Sorry if this seems a of dense but can I ask if what you are saying above is that adding in a switch is most probably not necessary . If you still decide to do it then buy a managed switch as this is better quality than the unmanaged units. 

Does the better quality apply to all managed switches or just certain models .

Adding a switch is beneficial in my experience. But not for reasons of data integrity. And of course a managed version of a cheap SOHO switch will still be poorly made. The point I was making was that the managed aspect of the switch isn’t necessarily what makes it any better. 

Adding a switch is beneficial in my experience. But not for reasons of data integrity. And of course a managed version of a cheap SOHO switch will still be poorly made. The point I was making was that the managed aspect of the switch isn’t necessarily what makes it any better. 
My point is that the switches on home routers (the bit with the 5 ethernet ports) are sometimes 'managed' to a degree. E.g. controls around multicast. Putting a cheap unmanaged switch in front of the router is sometimes a bodgy way of avoiding having to fiddle with multicast settings on the router. That is probably the only realistic instance where it will help. No need to buy a managed one, the build quality is not going to be night and day at this level.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

Okay then which are the managed and non managed switches that you would say are well built etc ? If it applies to a whole brand i.e Cisco etc then just say that other wise a couple of model numbers to look out for .

I will be looking second hand and trying to keep the cost well down as I just want to give this a try and see if it does make any difference to my network . As always will lut a view on here if and when I make the change .

Unmanaged that I personally have experience of, the Uptone EtherRegen. Expensive, and you are unlikely to find any second hand. 
Managed would be a variation on the Cisco 2960 theme. They are around on EBay at sensible prices but you need to find a relatively recent one and their popularity in communities such as Naim mean they don’t hang around long. Do a search and see what specific models folks recommend.

I've used TP Link stuff for years and had no problems, I'm using 4 of these - 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Network Switch TL-SG1005D no setting up no drivers just plug and play. Theyre about £12 each and not a single issue yet after nearly 2 years. If I want to start restricting or controlling ports that can be done in the Virgin Hub 3 router - if you are with Virgin and you haven't got one of these I'd get one ASAP as it works way better than the previous Superhub. 

I'm in the process of installing tplink kit - I went for this version of the 5 port gig switch because it can be wall mounted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RQHL251/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_a7zHEbF7Q6M29

Also using their AC1750 access points which can be managed as a group from their excellent desktop/cloud management app. They are working very well indeed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice gear Tony. Mine are very slim and are hidden behind the relevant furniture holding the networked hardware. Their new routers look tasty too but I've had no issues yet and I've tested bandwidth as far as I can and need to go,  so not broken don't fix!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, paulkebab said:

Nice gear Tony. Mine are very slim and are hidden behind the relevant furniture holding the networked hardware. Their new routers look tasty too but I've had no issues yet and I've tested bandwidth as far as I can and need to go,  so not broken don't fix!

Absolutely. I was using Edimax access points and they were a PIA - needed regular rebooting. The new ones you can schedule to reboot at a particular time - mine are set to reboot every Saturday morning. Also they are powered from the main switch using PoE so with that switch and the router plugged into UPS the LAN still operates for a couple of hours in a power cut.  

Super Wammer

There’s a new device on the block.  Rather beyond my budget, but I was thinking that it could be A/B tested versus a plain Ethernet cable.  Now that would be interesting!

https://www.russandrews.com/russ-andrews-network-switch/

:doh:

• Haha 2

Oh dear. What I did try a few weeks ago was listening to music from my server streamed over Vodafone 4G to my phone then BT to the car hifi while I was 70 miles away. All the files were FLAC so no issues there but I thought the soundstage was a bit recessed and further back than normal, what I'm having a problem with is identifying where things are going wrong. I'm waiting a reply from Vodafone then I can start homing in on the ends of the chain if they come up with some complete denial wheeze.

:whistle:

• Haha 1

Well I got a reply, I've to experiment with more listening tests at different distances from home.