Sign in to follow this  
jcchristopher

Configuring an AppleTV with a KDSM

I upgraded to a Klimax DSM/2 and am trying to figure out the best way to set up AppleTV (4th gen) with it. Initially the Apple remote conflicted with the DSM and so Linn support said I need to turn off ATV's control of TV's and Receivers. Linn responded.... 

"I have spoken to an engineer and he suspects that the problem you report is related to the Apple TV4 (The Apple TV4 is confusing the control and overriding the KDSM). He suggests to try the following: 

Go into the Apple TV4 > Settings > Remotes and Devices > Control TV’s and Receivers = OFF"

BUT the catch is that now I need to keep the TV remote handy to turn on and off the TV. When I asked Linn about this further they responded...

The engineer advises that the link I sent originally is the only option. When ARC is not being used the AppleTV will switch the TV OFF, when you switch on the TV then the AppleTV will force everything to go to ARC (this prevents from controlling the Linn DSM as there are effectively two controllers).

The only option he can suggest to try is to wire the Apple TV directly to a TV HDMI socket (non-ARC) and have the KDSM on the TV HDMI(ARC) socket. This will probably allow you to have some control of the TV via the Apple and will probably allow the KDSM to work properly. Unfortunately, we cannot test this as different TV’s will respond in different ways.

I didn't find this worked with my new Samsung UN65RU. Has anyone found a better way to set up the AppleTV (that avoids having a third remote on the table)? 

Thanks,

John

Probably not a brilliant solution, but most times when I want the ATV sound through my KDSM I just select the KDSM from the Airplay menu on my Apple TV (swipe down to select audio output in most apps I use) My setup is just 2-channel, mind. I don’t even have HDMI enabled on my DSM.

13 hours ago, jcchristopher said:

The only option he can suggest to try is to wire the Apple TV directly to a TV HDMI socket (non-ARC) and have the KDSM on the TV HDMI(ARC) socket. This will probably allow you to have some control of the TV via the Apple and will probably allow the KDSM to work properly. Unfortunately, we cannot test this as different TV’s will respond in different ways.

This works very well for me, but then again, I have a Panasonic tv.

Sign in to follow this