wickfut

Best large sturdy headphones which can take a bit of a beating?

My headphones don't seem to last very long. 

My Focal Spirits sounded great but only lasted a short while before the strap snapped, thus losing the air tight seal to my ears so they lost bass. 

My Grado SR80e, which felt uncomfy as hell, distort with bass on one side. 

My B&W P7 wired have gone silent on one side. 

The only survivors have been my Sen HD518, which I bought about 12 years ago which has more glue than plastic on the shell, and a pair of DJ type Sen HD25-ii which sound like shit compared to the rest. 

I need:-

Bomb proof - or with parts readily available. 

detachable cable.

Velour pads which cover the whole ear. 

Flat full frequency sound. 

Open backed. 

As cheap as possible as I'm getting a bit fed up of binning headphones, say £100-150 ish

Headphones will be driven by a Dangerous Source and Prism Callia. 

Any ideas? cheers

Edited by wickfut

Beyer DT1990 - built like a tank

Sennheiser HD600 or 650 - every part is replaceable 

• Upvote 1

Philips X2

I even used mine as speakers for a few weeks, for Youtube videos. Just ran them off my headphone output on Sony ES amp very very loud with the bass EQ'd down/off. Never even skipped a beat and actually seem to sound better as headphones now.

I thought about selling them as I don't really like headphones (no situational awareness with them on = paranoia) but they took such a beating I decided to keep them.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 21:48, wickfut said:

My headphones don't seem to last very long. 

My Focal Spirits sounded great but only lasted a short while before the strap snapped, thus losing the air tight seal to my ears so they lost bass. 

My Grado SR80e, which felt uncomfy as hell, distort with bass on one side. 

My B&W P7 wired have gone silent on one side. 

The only survivors have been my Sen HD518, which I bought about 12 years ago which has more glue than plastic on the shell, and a pair of DJ type Sen HD25-ii which sound like shit compared to the rest. 

I need:-

Bomb proof - or with parts readily available. 

detachable cable.

Velour pads which cover the whole ear. 

Flat full frequency sound. 

Open backed. 

As cheap as possible as I'm getting a bit fed up of binning headphones, say £100-150 ish

Headphones will be driven by a Dangerous Source and Prism Callia. 

Any ideas? cheers

Audio Technica ATH M50X

built like a tank, detachable cable and sound bloody excellent. 

For the cash they are a no brainer. 

There are gazillions of glowing reviews online for them. 

*edit. Missed the open backed. You can ignore my recommendation 

Edited by Amormusic

Audio Technica ATH M50X

yeah I agree, pretty bomb proff, but as you say not opened backed.

I thought about selling them as I don't really like headphones (no situational awareness with them on = paranoia) but they took such a beating I decided to keep them.

I'd be interested in a set of open backs that give more situational awareness as well. Even most of the opened backed Ive tried sounded at little like they are not completely open and aware of your surroundings, but maybe I just havent treid enough yet. Ive been a closed back user for some time now but the isolation can sometimes be an issue I have to say.

Sennheiser HD600

Nice headphones but all the HD6## sound a little flat and lifeless just imo, and with ok bass, but then again thats the idea I suppose they are not intended to draw attention to anything.

The cable each side thing is a bit of a pain as well I wish theyd just do it one side only, they have had plenty of time to develop it now.

Posted (edited)
On 07/11/2019 at 11:58, eddie-baby said:

Sorry your thread I know :) but what I'd really like is a lighter more comfortable, nice and open hd6## with just a slight bit more fireworks but all the finesse. Does such a headphone even exist?

Eq a pair of 650's or 6xx. Works a treat for me.  Not open back but might be worth looking out for the Fostex TR-X00 Purplehearts on Drop, last time I looked none available currently. There's also Ebony and another wood of the same headphone from time to time. Planning to get a pair of the purplehearts next time round.

Edited by Headcoat
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 21:46, richie60 said:

Beyer DT1990 - built like a tank

Sennheiser HD600 or 650 - every part is replaceable 

yup, 650 or 600. 

When thinking robustness the beyerdynamic DT 770 pro springs to mind however it does not have a detachable cable and is also closed back.  But Well within budget and often used in studio s for their performance and robustness. 

1 hour ago, Headcoat said:

Eq a pair of 650's or 6xx. Works a treat for me.  Not open back but might be worth looking out for the Fostex TR-X00 Purplehearts on Drop, last time I looked none available currently. There's also Ebony and another wood of the same headphone from time to time. Planning to get a pair of the purplehearts next time round.

Yes, EQ may well be my only hope, I didn't like the 600 at all, flat dull, lifeless. The 650 were better more texture in the sound but still a little boring I thought. The 700s just odd I thought, possibly the best I thought were the 660 although the bass was a bit uninspiring. 

Would love to try Fostex they may be what I like. Is the mass drop thing an America only shop? The Fostex are usually semi closed if I'm right, or mainly closed then shall we say. I prefer closed actually. 

Question to the OP, what do you do to them for them all to break? Would it be possible to treat them a bit better then you can just have the best sounding ones? Or spend a few seconds at the start and end of a session getting them out of, or putting them back into, a hard case?

7 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Yes, EQ may well be my only hope, I didn't like the 600 at all, flat dull, lifeless. The 650 were better more texture in the sound but still a little boring I thought. The 700s just odd I thought, possibly the best I thought were the 660 although the bass was a bit uninspiring. 

Would love to try Fostex they may be what I like. Is the mass drop thing an America only shop? The Fostex are usually semi closed if I'm right, or mainly closed then shall we say. I prefer closed actually. 

I bought my 6xx from Drop, you do get hit for customs charge though. Fostex are closed I believe. Some of the reviews talk of a sharp treble which puts me off a little.

Marshall Monitors are worth a look as well. I use mine when out and about. Lifted bass with decent enough mids and treble. Closed back. Can be found for around £100. Had mine 4 years and no complaints at all.

Eq is just so handy on headphones.

Posted (edited)
On 25/09/2019 at 17:04, twoblacklines said:

Philips X2

I even used mine as speakers for a few weeks, for Youtube videos. Just ran them off my headphone output on Sony ES amp very very loud with the bass EQ'd down/off. Never even skipped a beat and actually seem to sound better as headphones now.

+1 for Philips Fidelio X2 / X2HR.

Very good sound, very cumfy and seem tough, although whether they are wickfut-tough, who knows! It does seem like it's a bit of a challenge.

And I thought I was clumsy!  :P

EDIT

Ah, I see this is a probably inadvertent thread resurrection from last year. :doh:

So, @wickfut - did you ever find a pair of cans tough enough for you?

Edited by JANDL100

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.