Jump to content

Need to change Centre Speaker


samd
 Share

Recommended Posts

For reasons outside my control (shame!) I have to change the layout of my Lounge and put TV on wall bracket above fireplace (unused for heat but has to stay).  Only place for centre speaker really is on the mantel so it has to be something small (current one isn't) and I am well aware that we should try to match BUT...  

I currently have a couple of Mission M3 (8 Ohms) doing nothing and, indeed, my rear speakers are M3s and work well together with the Q Acoustics Concept 500s for the few films we watch.

My Anthem AVR states '4 Ohms or more' in the spec and for balance and looks I would prefer to use 2 M3s wired to one output.  Series (16 Ohms) or parallel?  Any thoughts please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/09/2019 at 14:44, samd said:

For reasons outside my control (shame!) I have to change the layout of my Lounge and put TV on wall bracket above fireplace (unused for heat but has to stay).  Only place for centre speaker really is on the mantel so it has to be something small (current one isn't) and I am well aware that we should try to match BUT...  

I currently have a couple of Mission M3 (8 Ohms) doing nothing and, indeed, my rear speakers are M3s and work well together with the Q Acoustics Concept 500s for the few films we watch.

My Anthem AVR states '4 Ohms or more' in the spec and for balance and looks I would prefer to use 2 M3s wired to one output.  Series (16 Ohms) or parallel?  Any thoughts please?

Hi samd :)

I was previously considering adding 2 Qacoustics concept center speakers to go with the Qacoustics concept 40's. After doing some research on the subject, I was advised not to attempt it, as there is apparently some thing called as lobing.  It is caused by the same sound waves coming out of two speakers placed in close proximity. As these sound waves from the 2 center speakers travel, they tend to add up and cause distortion in the perceived sound. This is especislly so in the treble region if i remember right . Causing spikes in treble response at various seating positions . My memory is sketchy, as this was a long time ago. But May be you can Google lobing effect of speakers and see. 

Usually when a AVR is fed in the settings , as no center speaker, in the speaker set up configuration. Audyssey automatically uses its algorithms to create a phantom center channel from the L&R speakers. Considering the size, scale and quality of the Qacoustics concept 500's, I would hazard a guess that you might get away without a center channel. Please try that and see first. Just my 2 cents :)

P.S : If I remember right , I believe the concept 500's are presently playing directly forward without any toe in. If the above audyssey setting doesn't give a satisfactory center image, then maybe you might have to try toeing in the speakers again, and then again rerunning audyssey calibration with the new toe in. But Iam confident that you won't actually need a center channel speaker.

Edited by newlash09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Hi samd :)

I was previously considering adding 2 Qacoustics concept center speakers to go with the Qacoustics concept 40's. After doing some research on the subject, I was advised not to attempt it, as there is apparently some thing called as lobing.  It is caused by the same sound waves coming out of two speakers placed in close proximity. As these sound waves from the 2 center speakers travel, they tend to add up and cause distortion in the perceived sound. This is especislly so in the treble region if i remember right . Causing spikes in treble response at various seating positions . My memory is sketchy, as this was a long time ago. But May be you can Google lobing effect of speakers and see. 

Usually when a AVR is fed in the settings , as no center speaker, in the speaker set up configuration. Audyssey automatically uses its algorithms to create a phantom center channel from the L&R speakers. Considering the size, scale and quality of the Qacoustics concept 500's, I would hazard a guess that you might get away without a center channel. Please try that and see first. Just my 2 cents :)

P.S : If I remember right , I believe the concept 500's are presently playing directly forward without any toe in. If the above audyssey setting doesn't give a satisfactory center image, then maybe you might have to try toeing in the speakers again, and then again rerunning audyssey calibration with the new toe in. But Iam confident that you won't actually need a center channel speaker.

As always an excellent response.  Many thanks.  Food for thought.  I am going to wire up a single Centre Speaker (2nd one for balance and looks purposes will be unwired) just in case your phantom decides to return to the Opera! but will certainly have a go at your suggestion although I don't have Audyssey and my Anthem Room Correction software my not do the same trick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, samd said:

As always an excellent response.  Many thanks.  Food for thought.  I am going to wire up a single Centre Speaker (2nd one for balance and looks purposes will be unwired) just in case your phantom decides to return to the Opera! but will certainly have a go at your suggestion although I don't have Audyssey and my Anthem Room Correction software my not do the same trick.

Haha...most welcome sir...in my humble opinion, Anthem's ARC, is way superior to audyssey. Iam sure there should be a speaker configuration setting some where in ARC. Where once you specify the center channel as absent. The phantom center channel algorithm should kick in. 

In case you are going to mount 2 center channels for balance, will the wired center channel still be at the center of the front L&R  speakers. Just curious :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Haha...most welcome sir...in my humble opinion, Anthem's ARC, is way superior to audyssey. Iam sure there should be a speaker configuration setting some where in ARC. Where once you specify the center channel as absent. The phantom center channel algorithm should kick in. 

In case you are going to mount 2 center channels for balance, will the wired center channel still be at the center of the front L&R  speakers. Just curious :)

They will both be under the TV about a foot (30 cm to you sir!) apart which I have tested in my current location and seems fine.  The one saving grace of the new (imposed!) layout is that there will be more room rear and side for the 500s which, going back to your earlier post, are currently about 15 degrees toe'd.  Looking forward to the benefit that might bring.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...