TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

16 hours ago, robbyrtp said:

E2368DD2-DE7E-41B6-BB58-5CA0F104EF5E.jpeg.100528584fb5f2c47028d4277ce4df39.jpegHi Robert

The cable comes supplied with the SMPS we purchase, we have tested every
one we have had in and have found no issues with them. I will bare in
mind your concerns though.

We always recommend using higher quality mains leads if you can for
improved performance.

regards

--
Brent Rowe
Fidelity Audio6940A7A3-F69F-4428-BC25-D6425CB5D6D0.jpeg.bc14df188edc02b3210e999e2402f68a.jpeg

Super Wammer

Nothing to do with the subject of the thread but whilst we have an interlude, I have three 'proper' power supplies out on my sitting room floor at the moment. Enjoy.

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.50cce8a0321f1e863e8f243f4e776086.JPG

• Like 2

Not an unfair response from FA and they have essentially done nothing wrong but for me it's disappointing. I have to say it puts me off ordering the Node2i upgrade from them and if the Polish one continues to get good reviews then I think its made the decision for me on where I will order. 

Cheers

Super Wammer

I have just secured a loan sbooster and so will be listening to that with the pimped Node 2i as well.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Nothing to do with the subject of the thread but whilst we have an interlude, I have three 'proper' power supplies out on my sitting room floor at the moment. Enjoy.

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.50cce8a0321f1e863e8f243f4e776086.JPG

That's a lot of iron 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

What are they ?

They are all Border Patrol valve rectified power supplies suitable for valve amplifiers. The top two are the MB upgraded versions with bigger chokes and are as rare as hens teeth. I used them with my Audio Innovations Second Audio 2A3 valve monoblocks but have other plans for them having sold the amps.

The bottom one is the power supply for my Border Patrol 300B SE amplifier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChemMan said:

That might be a bit tricky as you are the guinea pig and experimenter at the same time.

I shall use my extensive knowledge of such procedures to engineer a 'virtual' test that is double blind and of course Covid 19 compliant. I shall of course be wearing PPE at all times.

No guinea pigs will be harmed during these experiments.

My actual assistant...

IMG_0359.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MGTOW said:

My actual assistant...

IMG_0359.jpeg

Sorry, I couldn't resist as testing procedures are pretty much hard wired into my pea-sized brain.

Good luck with that one.  He/She looks a bit shifty.  I be wondering if the samples might have been switched.

Edited by ChemMan
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but wanted to post here since this thread inspired me to "pimp" my node 2i. My system consists of the Node 2i> Line Magnetic 805ia > Graham Chartwell LS6

My goal was to get the most out of this set up without having to purchase additional components such as an external DAC so I was thrilled to find out I might be able to get better sound with a simple PSU swap. 

I was first interested in the Fidelity unit as I'm not a fan of purchasing from eBay but after dealing with @K4mil3k I was confident in my purchase. His communication and honesty made it feel like a worthwhile purchase. Also an added bonus is I'm this first in the USA with his PSU so that's pretty cool.

The unit arrived today and install was a breeze. After letting the system warm up for a few hours I went ahead and listened a few tracks that I've been listening to all week as I've been prepping myself for this evaluation. In addition I did not move the volume knob on my amp so it was level matched. I'm using the unit with the iFI iPower due to the rave reviews.

First impressions: My goodness WOW. I honestly wasn't expecting much due to the price but I feel that the Bluesound is ATLEAST 20% better in overall SQ. Dynamics, highs, mids, bass, soundstage. It's like the unit took a shot of espresso and became so much more energetic. Keep in mind I'm not using an external DAC and honestly I'm not sure how much better my system can sound but I'm really happy with it now. I'll be sure to keep track of this thread if anyone has questions and post additional updates if changes occur. 

Thank you all again and happy listening!

-Alex

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist as testing procedures are pretty much hard wired into my pea-sized brain.

Good luck with that one.  He/She looks a bit shifty.  I be wondering if the samples might have been switched.

That is Lucy, our 'old crone', 15+ year old cross siamese. On of the few enjoying lockdown, loves all the extra attention as we are at home more.

Earlier she was doing yoga with Mrs M, yoga with animals is quite the thing apparently,

54 minutes ago, rareace said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but wanted to post here since this thread inspired me to "pimp" my node 2i. My system consists of the Node 2i> Line Magnetic 805ia > Graham Chartwell LS6

My goal was to get the most out of this set up without having to purchase additional components such as an external DAC so I was thrilled to find out I might be able to get better sound with a simple PSU swap. 

I was first interested in the Fidelity unit as I'm not a fan of purchasing from eBay but after dealing with @K4mil3k I was confident in my purchase. His communication and honesty made it feel like a worthwhile purchase. Also an added bonus is I'm this first in the USA with his PSU so that's pretty cool.

The unit arrived today and install was a breeze. After letting the system warm up for a few hours I went ahead and listened a few tracks that I've been listening to all week as I've been prepping myself for this evaluation. In addition I did not move the volume knob on my amp so it was level matched. I'm using the unit with the iFI iPower due to the rave reviews.

First impressions: My goodness WOW. I honestly wasn't expecting much due to the price but I feel that the Bluesound is ATLEAST 20% better in overall SQ. Dynamics, highs, mids, bass, soundstage. It's like the unit took a shot of espresso and became so much more energetic. Keep in mind I'm not using an external DAC and honestly I'm not sure how much better my system can sound but I'm really happy with it now. I'll be sure to keep track of this thread if anyone has questions and post additional updates if changes occur. 

Thank you all again and happy listening!

-Alex

Thanks for the review.

I use the Node 'as is', even using it as a pre-amp into my Active speakers. No real desire to add a dac but a power supply upgrade is a real possibility.

If you have been following the threads on here, you will know that the question of power supplies is being raised at lot with most recommendations being for (what I consider to be) rather high priced units, I am encouraged that you feel you are getting real improvements with the iPower, given it's very modest cost.

Posted (edited)

@rareace Thx for feedback. You are not the first person who is very happy with the BS modification in combination with the tubes.

@Fourlegs How's your further tests ? any new advices ?

Edited by K4mil3k