TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

Super Wammer
41 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

First you have to determine if there is a difference.

Keith

:sos:  :wall:

Start your own thread mate if you want to go down that route.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, t1no said:

It's just an LPS which is allegedly low noise which one could use in a general context e.g. to power your Node 2i interface or other piece of audio equipment you might want to try out if an LPS has a beneficial effect.  It's just as valid to use this PSU rather than some random purchase off the internet.

It's probably actually more valid than any old random power supply.

That said, any power supply that aims to make a serious improvement should be designed specifically for one application. What is an ideal power supply for one circuit does not mean it will be ideal for another. It might well be 'better' than the original, and if the original is a wallwart, then that's very likely. However, there is not really any such thing as a 'universal' power supply. There are numerous other factors than just the required voltage and current capacity and whether constant current or constant voltage is the main requirement.

The suggestion inherent in all this that SMPS are somehow worse than linear supplies is also wrong. There are bad examples of both, and a poorly-designed and executed linear supply will cause just as many problems (though different ones) as a poorly designed and executed SMPS. There are many SMPS used in lab and medical contexts where extremely low noise (including radiated 'noise') is essential. They are, not cheap though, nor are they small and easy to make. Frankly, the main reason a lot of designers use linear supplies is that if you're not that fussed about component cost, it's a lot easier to get one 'clean' compared with switched mode. It's also a lot easier to measure. With SMPS, measuring extremely high frequency interference becomes an issue, never mind dealing with it. Once you get into the mHz regions, normal practice goes out of the window, and you can't just ignore it, because something that starts in the high mHz realm can still have harmonics at much lower frequencies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Sorry to go off topic.

rabski and Tony J I've sent you PM's over the last couple of days. Have you received my messages please?

Not me... Tony?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Sorry to go off topic.

rabski and Tony J I've sent you PM's over the last couple of days. Have you received my messages please?

Apologies - slipped my mind. I will get back to you.

• Like 1

Super Dealer
8 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

:sos:  :wall:

Start your own thread mate if you want to go down that route.

I don’t think it unreasonable to ask for some kind of substantiation, some measurements something other than anecdote.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

First you have to determine if there is a difference.

Keith

Please, don't start all this again. So many other threads and topics on the Wam, why start again on this one in particular? We've just gotten this topic back on track and as a Node 2i owner I am genuinely interested in wammers upgrade reviews, not ASR measurement charts. Let's not do all this again. Please. 

Edited by Turn it up!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Apologies - slipped my mind. I will get back to you.

Give a boy a man's job... :rofl:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I don’t think it unreasonable to ask for some kind of substantiation, some measurements something other than anecdote.

Keith

Context Keith. Context.

This thread seems primarily about various people's experiences of different addon power supplies, so there is no reason to ask or expect anything other than anecdote. If I post that a particular recording of an artist is better than another recording, I don't expect to be asked to produce measurements to prove it.

On the other hand, we are keeping a close eye on potential involvement here by people who make these things on a commercial basis. That's something different.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Look, we've been through all this before. If you are thinking of getting a Node 2i and thinking of pimping it then YOU have a right to ask for those measurements from the supplier before parting with your hard earned. Anyone else who is content to rely on their ears before buying something has a right not to be pestered by you telling them that you want measurements.

I have a Node 2i and all I want to achieve is to buy something to make it sound as good as possible in my system for a reasonable amount of dosh. I will know when I have achieved the sound I want because I will be able to hear it. Anecdotal evidence is 100% good enough for me in that context.

1 hour ago, t1no said:

No, I have a Thurlby PSU. But only for general purpose electronics use.

The Peaktech is an LPS - that's what they say on their data sheet, and has a fairly chunky transformer in it.

Sorry I must have been mistaken. It seems some of these Lab PSU have fans inside them which some people may not want, I was looking at a Korad KD3005 which gets good reviews but it has  a fan. Size and looks are not ideal either.

26 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Look, we've been through all this before. If you are thinking of getting a Node 2i and thinking of pimping it then YOU have a right to ask for those measurements from the supplier before parting with your hard earned. Anyone else who is content to rely on their ears before buying something has a right not to be pestered by you telling them that you want measurements.

I have a Node 2i and all I want to achieve is to buy something to make it sound as good as possible in my system for a reasonable amount of dosh. I will know when I have achieved the sound I want because I will be able to hear it. Anecdotal evidence is 100% good enough for me in that context.

Please resist the temptation to act like a self-appointed Mod. You don't get to decide who has the right to post in this forum,  what they post, or why. As has been pointed out before, if you have an issue, there are reporting mechanisms available to make the Mods aware of it. To the extent that the issue departs from the Forum rules, we'll deal with it. In the meantime, if you don't like what someone posts, you are perfectly entitled to ignore it.

• Like 2

Well my ifi power supply arrived this afternoon and I will be trying it out tomorrow. This will be with the Fidelity Audio upgrade. Lots of connection options in the box and it is very well packaged and seems well made. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Please resist the temptation to act like a self-appointed Mod. You don't get to decide who has the right to post in this forum,  what they post, or why. As has been pointed out before, if you have an issue, there are reporting mechanisms available to make the Mods aware of it. To the extent that the issue departs from the Forum rules, we'll deal with it. In the meantime, if you don't like what someone posts, you are perfectly entitled to ignore it.

How do you ignore a member when using an ipad? Can't see the Ignore User.

Edited by BeeRay

7 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

How do you ignore a member when using an ipad? Can't see the Ignore User.

Go to your account - (tap on the three lines in the top right) Click on Account, click on ignored users - enter the user name of the person/people you wish to ignore. 

• Like 1