TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

. I have been testing out my new interfaced Node 2 with Audiophonics
LPS and will share my thoughts but didnt want to steal your thunder

Hopefully I will have time over the next few days. First I have to put the 2i back to stock. I would say post your findings and do not wait for me. 

Are you using a dac with the 2i? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Hopefully I will have time over the next few days. First I have to put the 2i back to stock. I would say post your findings and do not wait for me. 

Are you using a dac with the 2i? 

Good idea it might keep this thread on track.

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

Cool, ok I’m pretty busy today but perhaps tonight or tomorrow ! Yep I am using Denafrips Aries II DAC.

Excellent. I have one of those on loan.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, MGTOW said:

Morning DomT.

Start the morning with a healthy dose of cynicism/common sense. Excellent.

Everyone has different experience and expertise, as a musician I often find your views interesting as they come from a different perspective.

Although I have been out of 'the business' for some years, I still find the whole recording process to be quite fascinating, I love reading about and discussing the subject (mostly elsewhere) and then looking to see if I can relate the theory to actual recordings. Other than music itself, it is probably the nearest I come to having an actual 'hobby'.

This really is nothing to do with this thread. Please take it elsewhere. Thanks 

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

This really is nothing to do with this thread. Please take it elsewhere. Thanks 

99% of this thread hasn’t got anything to do with the subject lol! Mind you, it’s not ‘TheFlash’ forum either 😜

• Haha 2

Actually it does.

It describes an interest of mine that helps define what I want from a playback system.

Some people want improvements to the soundstage, very much a hifi thing. That really does not interest me at all, I am more interested in what is going on in the recording in a technical sense and how the musicians work within the environment.

Note; This is a particular interest of mine, it is separate from my other (hifi related) interest which is simply discovering and playing interesting music. I can compartmentalise quite easily, neither interest detracts from the other, just as in the 'old days' I could keep my interest in serious hifi separate from my love of music.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, radiant red said:

99% of this thread hasn’t got anything to do with the subject lol! Mind you, it’s not ‘TheFlash’ forum either 😜

Agreed. I will get told off for doing modding next! The thread starter is not the thread owner...

... but it is easy enough to start a new thread. Ultimately everything is related to hifi, it's a hifi forum

19 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Actually it does.

It describes an interest of mine that helps define what I want from a playback system.

Some people want improvements to the soundstage, very much a hifi thing. That really does not interest me at all, I am more interested in what is going on in the recording in a technical sense and how the musicians work within the environment.

Note; This is a particular interest of mine, it is separate from my other (hifi related) interest which is simply discovering and playing interesting music. I can compartmentalise quite easily, neither interest detracts from the other, just as in the 'old days' I could keep my interest in serious hifi separate from my love of music.

Sorry, we might be about to fall out, and I don't want that but it's a risk I'm going to take. I have suggested that you start a new thread on this interest of yours. I'm not speaking because it's "my" thread, it isn't, but as any-old-wammer who is genuinely interested in the broad topic of the Node 2i and power supplies.

Starting a new thread helps everyone for two reasons:

1) It stops people interested in the original topic (the Node 2/2i and PSU's in this case) from wading through irrelevances

2) It actually helps you to draw attention to your "interest of mine", ensuring it gets the attention it deserves.

I'm genuinely trying to be helpful here. To everyone. Please, please, start a new thread.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Agreed. I will get told off for doing modding next! The thread starter is not the thread owner..

😂 Good answer.

of course, I agree. Would have been good for the thread to be on this subject only. 
im pretty sure most threads drift but this one definitely holds the record. I’m not generally interested in the node but upgraded psu’s yes, so it has an interest 👍🏻

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Sorry for being off topic 

I’ve had one post published and one removed(I’ve know idea why, but I do apologise for whatever I said).

Can someone, anyone who has experienced the Bluesound Node 2i psu upgrade please post their findings?  It can be using the ifi smps or any LMPS. Or am I going go away and simply buy an Sbooster and be done with any helpful advice, hints or knowledge?

Please 

I am sorry if that has come over as grumpy or impatient. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lord J said:

I’ve had one post published and one removed(I’ve know idea why, but I do apologise for whatever I said).

Can someone, anyone who has experienced the Bluesound Node 2i psu upgrade please post their findings?  It can be using the ifi smps or any LMPS. Or am I going go away and simply buy an Sbooster and be done with any helpful advice, hints or knowledge?

Please 

I for one am quite happy with the ifi smps. It sounds good to me through my Roksan Dac and nowhere near as good on its own. Better than before I can't honestly say as I only initially changed as the internal power supply failed. But I am interested in Fourlegs findings for maybe a future upgrade, This was with the Fidelity Audio upgrade by the way. 

Edited by robbyrtp

On 24/05/2020 at 12:15, Tony_J said:

Thinking about this a little more, the SBT is (fairly obviously) designed to be used with a separate power supply and so the SBT itself has no connection to mains earth. The power supply it uses is a SMPS that (in common with most "wall wart" type PSUs) doesn't have a mains earth connection - many such PSUs actually have a plastic 3rd pin; the standard SBT supply has a metal pin, but if you take off the UK adapter plate, only the L and N pins actually connect through to the supply itself.

Net result: the SBT's SMPS supply voltage is "floating" - not referenced to mains earth. No doubt the SBT's designer's assumptions about noise coming from the PSU would not, therefore, have considered direct mains ground-borne interference, because that opportunity has been removed by design.

If you were to attach a supply (linear or otherwise) that has its output referenced to ground to a SBT, those assumptions don't apply anymore. You'd have to look at the circuit diagram of the TeraDak PSU to see whether its output is floating or not, but one thing is clear - it had a metal case, so at least the case hardware must have been grounded.

Either way, if you are looking for reasons why one power supply might perform differently to another with the same equipment, it is a factor that may well be relevant. Someone earlier in this thread suggested trying a cheap linear bench supply - these supplies usually have floating outputs so you have to explicitly ground one or other side of the output if you need it to be referenced to ground, so one of these would give interesting opportunities for experiment. 

As I have a couple of linear bench supplies, I decided to do some testing. I've started a new thread so as not to clutter this thread with more non-Bluesound "stuff", but for those looking to experiment with after-market supplies, there may be information there that is worth considering:

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, DomT said:

Sorry for being off topic 

Accepted, Dom!

64 pages... Crikey.