TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

Super Wammer
32 minutes ago, t1no said:

One of the attractions of an active speaker system is the removal of other extraneous boxes. They are not really for tinkerers and adding external power supplies/ DACs for the HUGE advantages they provide.

There, I’ve corrected your typos. Thank me later. :D

• Haha 2

Hi folks

An update from me. I’ve been playing around with my Node 2 without my Aries DAC and also with and without Pauls interface over the last couple of days.

Thoughts below:

1) Node 2 directly into Yamaha amp with Duelund power cable - it sounds better than I remember! A very well balanced sound with lovely full soundstage.

2) Node 2 directly into amp with interface, Audiophonics LPS, and Duelund power cable - definitely an improvement. Overall sound is cleaner and i can hear further into the recording - Voices sound more natural and with less sibilance. About 20- 25% improvement I would say.

3) Putting the Aries DAC into the mix brings a bit more warmth, weight and depth - probably a level up as you would expect but not a huge difference. However, this improvement is not as big as adding the Aries to the standard Node 2.

Thats my experience !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

Putting the Aries DAC into the mix brings a bit more warmth, weight and depth - probably a level up as you would expect but not a huge difference.

So not as large a difference as the better power supplies?  (Just trying to add an on topic question!  I’m beginning to think that swapping cartridges and step ups was easier than DACs and power supplies!!)

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

So not as large a difference as the better power supplies?  (Just trying to add an on topic question!  I’m beginning to think that swapping cartridges and step ups was easier than DACs and power supplies!!)

To add to what @beermaniac said I found adding a Qutest DAC to the Node 2i was a much bigger upgrade than adding an LPS to the 2i and sticking with its own internal DAC.

• Like 1

To add to what @beermaniac said I found adding a Qutest DAC to the Node 2i was a much bigger upgrade than adding an LPS to the 2i and sticking with its own internal DAC.

Yep as you would expect there is better sound from the Node without Upgrade and Aries DAC than the Node with upgrade and LPS. Though of course I have not compared different power supplies just the direct comparison in my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

Yep as you would expect there is better sound from the Node without Upgrade and Aries DAC than the Node with upgrade and LPS. Though of course I have not compared different power supplies just the direct comparison in my set up.

I’m glad I asked then, because I read your earlier post to say the power supply benefits were bigger than the DACs!

Posted (edited)

@beermaniac Can you or someone else who has interface compare "stock Node + DAC" vs "upgraded Node + DAC" ?

Edited by K4mil3k

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, K4mil3k said:

@beermaniac Can you or someone else who has interface compare "stock Node + DAC" vs "upgraded Node + DAC" ?

I did that with my Fidelity interface as I've used an external DAC for a few years. Clearly better. The LPSU does not affect simply the Node 2i's internal DAC.

Super Wammer
On 02/06/2020 at 18:25, BeeRay said:

Just changed the Toslink cable and I’m sure it sounds different, I was not expecting any, seems to be more bass not something I want.

It'll be better once it's burnt in :rofl:

Super Wammer

I take it no one has noticed improvements in optical transfer using the LPSU's and interface.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, greybeard said:

It'll be better once it's burnt in :rofl:

Does a certain company not do a cryogenic treated optical cable .....I spy a gap in the market 😁

Edited by MF 1000
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2020 at 00:15, greybeard said:

I take it no one has noticed improvements in optical transfer using the LPSU's and interface.

Is this a trick question? Ah, hang on, I've just realised it's not a question at all. So a reply should be along the lines of "that's a fair assumption".

Which it is. No-one using optical transfer will have noticed because most people considering an LPSU will probably already have ruled out optical connection for the well-understood limitations/downsides of that mechanism, theoretically perfect but practically imperfect that it is. Arguments for and against can be found, and should be pursued if anyone finds it necessary to do so, elsewhere. Please.

Edited by TheFlash
Added "probably"
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 12:09 AM, TheFlash said:

I did that with my Fidelity interface as I've used an external DAC for a few years. Clearly better. The LPSU does not affect simply the Node 2i's internal DAC.

Of course, it also affects, but you should not expect the LPSU to raise the internal DAC to standalone DAC's level for 2 or 3 times as much as Node costs.