TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Every room completely dominates ( alters)  the sound of the loudspeaker In the low bass below a few hundred hertz, you can see this in any acoustic room measurement.

But you can, passively treat the room , as in traditional mastering studios with literally metres of rockwool  behind the walls above the ceiling below the floor , obviously this probably isn’t ideal for a domestic room, you can use EQ to reduce the peaks ( boomy bass) in the Fr this is very effective, and you can try using subwoofers destructively, perhaps in a ‘sink-source’ arrangement , two subs behind your listening position mirroring the main speakers but in inverse phase, these would cancel the bass nulls.

If you use a decent full range loudspeaker that is about as good as it gets.

Keith

It's a well known fact in the recording world (professionally treated recording studios) that if you take your own monitors to another studio that you will not know the room and will mix poorly.  Keith you are over simplifying things to support your argument.  I can't be bothered to add a link to Emmy Award winning engineers who comment on this this but feel free to use google.  Keith you are just wrong on this. Every mastering engineer's room sounds different.  They do not all have the same signal chain.  If the mastering engineer takes their finished work to another studio it will sound different.  You cannot re-create something at home that will be identical.  That's why you are on a fool's errand.  And this is why its so frustrating to read your endless criticisms of others when you are not practicing what you are preaching in customer demos and that your technical assertions are flawed but presented as the truth.

• Upvote 4

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, MGTOW said:

I have spoken on a number of occasions about my interest in the 'recording process' and I get considerable enjoyment listening to the way that the music is played by the musicians, the interplay between them, the 'space' that it is recorded in etc, etc.

For this to work for me, I need a reasonably transparent and 'neutral' system, that may, on occasion, show recordings up as being poor. This is something that I am prepared to live with, a trade off against the superb insight such a system gives into the better recordings.

To give an idea of what does not work for me, I shall go back yo DomT's allegory of the coffee machine.

Say that you have such a machine and it consistently produces good coffee that you enjoy very much, then you buy some different beans, reputed to be excellent and maybe a bit different and make your coffee with them. The coffee is still great, in fact it is exactly the same as before, wonderful. But is it what you wanted and what you paid for. Your decision!

Almost right but not quite.  Different coffee beans should and do taste different.  Most reasonably priced hifi these days shows up differences in recordings. I suspect that even on your modest home system that you can do so.  I am therefore not sure what your point is if we can all hear differences 'neutral' or otherwise.

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

Yes I think my system is very neutral and fairly accurate, it's great on good recordings however it does show up lesser recordings, digital can sound hard/harsh. If I was to change the sound I would go for something warmer, which would favour female vocals and is probably easier listening. But my room is not great, could do with some treatment but I can't be bothered to do that apart I will add some curtains which may reduce some of the reflections. I will try a few other tweaks but I don't want to spend much money on it. 

I have not heard the 9RSS since it was released but I do not recall it having a 'hot' high end in any way. 

If it is really only on some recordings, then that is your answer right there, If the room is a bit reflective then any soft furnishings will help, side walls and floor being the priority. Speaker stands should be checked for rattles too, that can give the treble a somewhat 'fractured' quality in some cases.

Finally, you can set up the Node with the eq active (digital or analog) and see what a little treble down tilt gives you.

Super Dealer
27 minutes ago, DomT said:

It's a well known fact in the recording world (professionally treated recording studios) that if you take your own monitors to another studio that you will not know the room and will mix poorly.  Keith you are over simplifying things to support your argument.  I can't be bothered to add a link to Emmy Award winning engineers who comment on this this but feel free to use google.  Keith you are just wrong on this. Every mastering engineer's room sounds different.  They do not all have the same signal chain.  If the mastering engineer takes their finished work to another studio it will sound different.  You cannot re-create something at home that will be identical.  That's why you are on a fool's errand.  And this is why its so frustrating to read your endless criticisms of others when you are not practicing what you are preaching in customer demos and that your technical assertions are flawed but presented as the truth.

Yes this is an issue, there are no defined specifications for mixing/mastering studios, records are created in different sounding rooms with different sounding loudspeakers, Floyd Toole calls this ‘ a circle of confusion’.

If every room was built to the same specification and every engineer used the same fine measuring loudspeakers there would undoubtedly be better quality recordings.

However we still only have the record/cd/file and can only hope to reproduce that as accurately as possible.

Keith

16 minutes ago, DomT said:

Almost right but not quite.  Different coffee beans should and do taste different.  Most reasonably priced hifi these days shows up differences in recordings. I suspect that even on your modest home system that you can do so.  I am therefore not sure what your point is if we can all hear differences 'neutral' or otherwise.

Almost but not quite what I am talking about. My system is perfectly capable of resolving the differences, different versions of the same recording, for example, the system, particularly the speakers, were chosen with that in mind.

So yes, the differences are there and that is important to me, a set up that covers up these differences, even if it 'makes everything sound better', as some might put it, is not for me.

This reminds me of when, in the early 90s, I had a pair of Electa Amators, which I absolutely loved to bits. It also explains why I had to replace them.

40 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

I have not heard the 9RSS since it was released but I do not recall it having a 'hot' high end in any way. 

If it is really only on some recordings, then that is your answer right there, If the room is a bit reflective then any soft furnishings will help, side walls and floor being the priority. Speaker stands should be checked for rattles too, that can give the treble a somewhat 'fractured' quality in some cases.

Finally, you can set up the Node with the eq active (digital or analog) and see what a little treble down tilt gives you.

I think it is partly the recordings. No, my system is not bright(hot), one reason why I bought it, some speakers I found unlistenable on jazz,  the tweeters are excellent, they should be at the price. Yes soft furnishings will no doubt help but I will have to decorate the room first. Stands are sound, I checked them only last week.  I may try the treble adjustment. 

But that is why most of us are here, looking for an improvement that a better PSU may bring. 

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, MGTOW said:
26 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Yes this is an issue, there are no defined specifications for mixing/mastering studios, records are created in different sounding rooms with different sounding loudspeakers, Floyd Toole calls this ‘ a circle of confusion’.

If every room was built to the same specification and every engineer used the same fine measuring loudspeakers there would undoubtedly be better quality recordings.

However we still only have the record/cd/file and can only hope to reproduce that as accurately as possible.

Keith

But you can't produce as accurately as possible based on what you er actually wrote..... You previously wrote something along the lines of 'reproduced as intended'. Using your own words above you cannot reproduce what the mastering engineer heard in their own mastering suite and therefore you cannot 'reproduce as intended'.  

The record/Cd/file has no sound of it's own it needs to be re-produced.  You can re-produce according to your own preferences which may or may not be different to other people's preferences.  The difference Keith is that you are saying that your preferences are correct and other people's preferences are not correct.

2 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I think it is partly the recordings. No, my system is not bright(hot), one reason why I bought it, some speakers I found unlistenable on jazz,  the tweeters are excellent, they should be at the price. Yes soft furnishings will no doubt help but I will have to decorate the room first. Stands are sound, I checked them only last week.  I may try the treble adjustment. 

But that is why most of us are here, looking for an improvement that a better PSU may bring. 

Indeed, working out what is causing the issue can be difficult, once you have done that you need to balance addressing that issue with the effects that the changes have on other aspects of the system performance. That is the dilemma, right there.

Adding a Qutest to my system made the 'hi-fi-' better but did little for the music, so I passed.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Here we go. K is derailing another thread.

Just ignore him guys. Do not respond to anything he says. Save your breath and it will help keep the thread on track.

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
10 minutes ago, DomT said:

But you can't produce as accurately as possible based on what you er actually wrote..... You previously wrote something along the lines of 'reproduced as intended'. Using your own words above you cannot reproduce what the mastering engineer heard in their own mastering suite and therefore you cannot 'reproduce as intended'.  

The record/Cd/file has no sound of it's own it needs to be re-produced.  You can re-produce according to your own preferences which may or may not be different to other people's preferences.  The difference Keith is that you are saying that your preferences are correct and other people's preferences are not correct.

Dom ultimately it doesn’t matter where the recording was made on what equipment or what the engineer had for lunch, the only artefact we have is the record.

Think of it as a set of instructions, a linear system ( low distortion) will reproduce that record as accurately as possible.

Keith

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Dom ultimately it doesn’t matter where the recording was made on what equipment or what the engineer had for lunch, the only artefact we have is the record.

Think of it as a set of instructions, a linear system ( low distortion) will reproduce that record as accurately as possible.

Keith

Keith moving goal posts so that he can be 'right'. You previously said 'as intended'.   Now you are offering a new explanation.  Accurate to what as the recording has no sound of it's own?

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Just ignore him guys. Do not respond to anything he says. Save your breath and it will help keep the thread on track.

after 90 pages this thread was derailed many. pages before I joined in!!

Super Dealer
16 minutes ago, DomT said:

Keith moving goal posts so that he can be 'right'. You previously said 'as intended'.   Now you are offering a new explanation.  Accurate to what as the recording has no sound of it's own?

Dom you know loudspeakers are transducers they transform one type of energy into another, linear means that what you send in ( the record/cd/file) is what comes out.

You can choose of course to add distortion to that signal, amplification with distortion , coloured loudspeakers, the contribution of the room that is up to the individual but ofcourse it is no longer high fidelity.

Keith

3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Dom you know loudspeakers are transducers they transform one type of energy into another, linear means that what you send in ( the record/cd/file) is what comes out.

You can choose of course to add distortion to that signal, amplification with distortion , coloured loudspeakers, the contribution of the room that is up to the individual but ofcourse it is no longer high fidelity.

Keith

Does adding a better PSU make it more high fidelity though? That is what we are waiting to find out. 

34 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Did Keith mention coffee?