TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

9 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Dom you know loudspeakers are transducers they transform one type of energy into another, linear means that what you send in ( the record/cd/file) is what comes out.

You can choose of course to add distortion to that signal, amplification with distortion , coloured loudspeakers, the contribution of the room that is up to the individual but ofcourse it is no longer high fidelity.

Keith

Keith, 

Would you be able to articulate what you mean by “high fidelity” please?

Thanks. 

Edited by HouseElf

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Dom you know loudspeakers are transducers they transform one type of energy into another, linear means that what you send in ( the record/cd/file) is what comes out.

You can choose of course to add distortion to that signal, amplification with distortion , coloured loudspeakers, the contribution of the room that is up to the individual but ofcourse it is no longer high fidelity.

Keith

Ands Keith deflects the question and avoids giving specific clarity about his claims and continues to playback his usual loop of responses; must be a faulty reel to reel?

Super Dealer
3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Does adding a better PSU make it more high fidelity though? That is what we are waiting to find out. 

It isn’t a ‘top notch ‘ design, personally I would look at something else with better measurements than spend more money on the Node.

From the ASR measurements power supply noise breakthrough isn’t an issue so I wouldn’t expect a ‘better’ power supply to make any difference.

Whether the units measurements are poor enough to be actually audible I couldn’t say you would have to compare.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

Keith

Super Dealer
3 minutes ago, HouseElf said:

Keith, 

Would you be able to articulate what you mean by “high fidelity” please?

Thanks. 

Fidelity:-

’ the degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced.‘
Distortion in its many forms is an addition to the original, if you use low distortion ( inaudible) then essentially what goes in is what will come out.

Keith

13 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

It isn’t a ‘top notch ‘ design, personally I would look at something else with better measurements than spend more money on the Node.

From the ASR measurements power supply noise breakthrough isn’t an issue so I wouldn’t expect a ‘better’ power supply to make any difference.

Whether the units measurements are poor enough to be actually audible I couldn’t say you would have to compare.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

Keith

The Node is as good as the DAC it uses so your mate at ASR says, I don't use the internal DAC, I believe my DAC is better. I use the the Node because it works well, ie the software does what I want, unlike lots of other products. What would be a better product? I looked at many but did not find any unless I spent a load more money, there is a thread on that subject which as not produced anything really. Where the Node can be improved in my opinion is the DAC and the PSU. If you use an external DAC is there much audible difference between streamers?

Edited by BeeRay

All of which is irrelevant, as 'what goes in' isn't the live performance that we want to get as close to as possible. Amazing how many people gloss over this, because all the talk of accuracy is bull, as none of it is accurate compared with the real thing. In other words, whatever floats your boat in terms of how it sounds is no better or worse than anyone else's idea, because none of it is remotely 'accurate'.

I'll take my distortion over someone's perfect reproduction of someone else's approximation of what it ought to sound like thank you.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

High fidelity is a very loose term. How high? Fidelity to what? Not that it matters until someone insists that their definition is right and everyone elses is wrong.

As someone who listens to a lot of classical music, high fidelity for me is something that recreates the original performance as realistically as possible in the home. Go to a concert and then listen to the broadcast at home and hear how close it gets to recreating the experience of the concert. Saying that one only has the recording is tosh for many genres and is just a cop out for equipment that does not recreate the sounds of the original at home very well. There’s nothing wrong with such a narrow minded approach until it is used as a weapon to denigrate others choices. In essence reproduction of music in the home starts with the performer in an acoustic and ends in the ears and brain of the listener at home. Miss out the first and last steps and you miss the entire point of the exercise.

As for my interest in this thread, the question for me is whether adding a LPSU to my node2i will help with creating the best possible illusion of the original performance for my particular ears. Given suitable hifi equipment it is surprising just how realistic that illusion can be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrBennie said:

All of which is irrelevant, as 'what goes in' isn't the live performance that we want to get as close to as possible. Amazing how many people gloss over this, because all the talk of accuracy is bull, as none of it is accurate compared with the real thing. In other words, whatever floats your boat in terms of how it sounds is no better or worse than anyone else's idea, because none of it is remotely 'accurate'.

I'll take my distortion over someone's perfect reproduction of someone else's approximation of what it ought to sound like thank you.

There is also the problem of - Which is more accurate: ATC/Kef Ref/Focal Sopra Speakers; or Chord/Bryston/Primare Amps? etc etc as they do imo sound different. Which different is Hi-Fidelity?

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
6 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

The Node is as good as the DAC it uses so your mate at ASR says, I don't use the internal DAC, I believe my DAC is better. I use the the Node because it works well, ie the software does what I want, unlike lots of other products. What would be a better product? I looked at many but did not find any unless I spent a load more money, there is a thread on that subject which as not produced anything really. Where the Node can be improved in my opinion is the DAC and the PSU. If you use an external DAC is there much audible difference between streamers?

All the ‘transport’ has to do is deliver bit perfect data to the dac, personally I use a small Intel NUC into an external DAC , I like Roon software so that’s what I use.

Through the same dac there should be no audible difference between streamers.

Keith

Super Dealer
7 minutes ago, MrBennie said:

If you want ‘live’ music then you have to go to a concert, all we have is the record of that concert.

Keith

• Upvote 1

When you watch a magic trick being performed, you want to believe it's 'real'. It would be spoiled if the performance actually showed how it's done. I want my reproduced music to have a little of that 'magic'. I want the illusion of the live performance, and if that means it isn't 'accurate' to the recording, I couldn't give a damn. As has been pointed out, the recording isn't accurate to the real thing either, so what difference does it make?

Striving to accurately reproduce something innacurate is a fool's errand.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

If you want ‘live’ music then you have to go to a concert, all we have is the record of that concert.

Keith

With decent high fidelity equipment you can get a surprisingly realistic illusion of that original concert. I agree that some of the stuff you sell isn’t ideal for that, being better for analytical purposes, and therein lies the problem of a dealer inflicting his opinion/sales patter on a discussion; you have an agenda whilst most of us are just discussing our findings. Isn’t this why there is a trade discussion section of the forum where dealers can voice their views in an environment where we know where they are coming from. Whilst you have reduced mentions of what you sell, every time you cast scorn on competing products that shifts interest to the products you do sell. There are two ways to sell; make yours the best or just knock out the competition by saying they aren’t any good.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

All the ‘transport’ has to do is deliver bit perfect data to the dac, personally I use a small Intel NUC into an external DAC , I like Roon software so that’s what I use.

Through the same dac there should be no audible difference between streamers.

Keith

So really you are only having a go at the Node's DAC then. The Node you can use Roon software as well but Roon adds about £120 pa or £700 lifetime fee so is not a cheap option. I don't feel any need for Roon as I'm just streaming from Deezer or Tidal or Qobuz. 

Had a quick look at the NUC, does seem more complex to set up than a Node which is pretty much plug and play once you have set it up.

Edited by BeeRay

Is this a wind up?

There is only one person on this thread that can bring it to some form of conclusion - fourlegs.

Can you not post any experience at all? I know you have no Sbooster to hand but you certainly have enough power supply options to hand to draw a better picture than anyone else.

Tssh

• Like 1