TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

So really you are only having a go at the Node's DAC then. The Node you can use Roon software as well but Roon adds about £120 pa or £700 lifetime fee so is not a cheap option. I don't feel any need for Roon as I'm just streaming from Deezer or Tidal or Qobuz. 

Had a quick look at the NUC, does seem more complex to set up than a Node which is pretty much plug and play once you have set it up.

The Node is a streamer, a dac and a preamp, each section can be accessed and used independently. As far as I am aware there are no third party measurements of all aspects of the Nodes performance.

I have personably used all three aspects of the Node, separately and together and find the results to be consistent and balanced, add in the functionality and the control app and for the price you get a very competent unit. (Only the WXC50 bares comparison)

I have tried all three of the analogue output options, if there are differences in SQ they are not obvious to me. I have tried using an outboard dac, in both bit perfect and variable modes and found what improvements I get to not be worth the cost, I might well try an interface and upgrade the power supply, but I shall not be using this thread as guidance in anything beyond what might be available.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I occasionally pop back into this thread in the hope of a review / update / end!! I've completely lost what the latest is, are we waiting for Fourlegs to post a review to finally draw some kind of personal conclusion or are there others that can write their own reviews? If I had a selection of power supplies I would post something but unfortunately it's not the case.

Cheers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

The Node is a streamer, a dac and a preamp, each section can be accessed and used independently. As far as I am aware there are no third party measurements of all aspects of the Nodes performance.

I have personably used all three aspects of the Node, separately and together and find the results to be consistent and balanced, add in the functionality and the control app and for the price you get a very competent unit. (Only the WXC50 bares comparison)

I have tried all three of the analogue output options, if there are differences in SQ they are not obvious to me. I have tried using an outboard dac, in both bit perfect and variable modes and found what improvements I get to not be worth the cost, I might well try an interface and upgrade the power supply, but I shall not be using this thread as guidance in anything beyond what might be available.

Yes but Keith is on about the Node 2i DAC measurements. I tried the Node's DAC but found DAC in the AVI to be better, but not a huge difference.

3 analogue outputs? 

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Yes but Keith is on about the Node 2i DAC measurements. I tried the Node's DAC but found DAC in the AVI to be better, but not a huge difference.

I have posted much earlier in the thread that I found the Node 2i internal DAC to be pretty disappointing in sound quality and that an external power supply only improved it by a smallish amount. I would rather spend the money on an external DAC first because to me ears that gives a bigger return on investment.

Hence why I personally am much more interested in using the 2i only as a streamer and evaluating what the different power supplies to the 2i bring to that party.

As I have mentioned, @George 47 is playing with my 5v SBooster and I really don't want to try a half hearted comparison until that is back. However the delay does have some advantage because it has allowed me to add a 5v super capacitor power supply to the line up.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Turn it up! said:

I occasionally pop back into this thread in the hope of a review / update / end!! I've completely lost what the latest is, are we waiting for Fourlegs to post a review to finally draw some kind of personal conclusion or are there others that can write their own reviews? If I had a selection of power supplies I would post something but unfortunately it's not the case.

Cheers

I just wrote a fairly long, for me, reply which just disappeared before I could post it.

Briefly, I was bought an Sbooster which for me was a massive improvement over the FA smps that comes with the interface. Worth every penny, and I got a 30 day home trial from Fanthorpes, which removes the risk for anyone seriously thinking of trying one.  Totally recommended, both the Sbooster and Fanthorpes. 

Others who know more than I do have suggested that it is unlikely that there is much difference between it and others (FA, MCRU etc) at the same sort of price.

G8ina on here was going to make me one to try, but I couldn't justify the expense just for other peoples gratification, so got him to make me a 12v 1 amp version which will fit a couple of other items in my  stereo. It only arrived today so I won't say anything more than he is a nice easy guy to deal with.

If I were doing it again, I'd get one of Pawels interfaces and take a punt on getting G8ina to make me an lpsu, or play safe and get an Sbooster as it can be returned , which I'm not so sure the others will do without a bit of hassle, though I may be doing them a disservice. 

Edited by Freddyflybuttons
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

3 analogue outputs? 

There are no Node 2i dac measurements that I know of other than those in the ASR review, they use the mini-toslink input which they found to be so poor that they thought it might be malfunctioning. As far as I know, there was no followup. If you are streaming your own material or using online streaming services the results are irrelevant

I mostly use online streaming and consider the performance of the dac to be quite acceptable, others disagree, YMMV.

The analogue and digital outputs from the Node are Fixed, Variable and Variable with EQ. I was not clear, on this, all options are available on main analogue outs, digital coax and optical.

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

As I have mentioned, @George 47 is playing with my 5v SBooster and I really don't want to try a half hearted comparison until that is back. However the delay does have some advantage because it has allowed me to add a 5v super capacitor power supply to the line up.

And much appreciated as it is doing a fine job.......It'll be back soon. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turn it up! said:

Cheers

You are a dreamer aren’t you?

This is a ridiculous thread.

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, BeeRay said:

So really you are only having a go at the Node's DAC then. The Node you can use Roon software as well but Roon adds about £120 pa or £700 lifetime fee so is not a cheap option. I don't feel any need for Roon as I'm just streaming from Deezer or Tidal or Qobuz. 

Had a quick look at the NUC, does seem more complex to set up than a Node which is pretty much plug and play once you have set it up.

I did a test. Tidal via Brand new MacBook to Auralic Altair G1 as a DAC to Meze Emphyrean headphones VS Tidal via Auralic App on Altair G1 to Meze Emphyrean headphones. The Mac introduced an unpleasant forwardness to the sound. It was not a huge difference but it was there and I didn’t like it.

In my case a computer as a front end is not as good as my Auralic as a front end. I don’t know if you would find the same with the Bluesound but don’t see why not. Clearly the front end before DAC matters regardless of what Keith says. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lord J said:

Is this a wind up?

There is only one person on this thread that can bring it to some form of conclusion - fourlegs.

Can you not post any experience at all? I know you have no Sbooster to hand but you certainly have enough power supply options to hand to draw a better picture than anyone else.

Tssh

The whole Wam is a wind up!

albeit with lots of good bits in between :^

and some of the most interesting people you’ll likely to meet online

mind you, you should have been here in the Wams former, Wild West days !!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DomT said:

I did a test. Tidal via Brand new MacBook to Auralic Altair G1 as a DAC to Meze Emphyrean headphones VS Tidal via Auralic App on Altair G1 to Meze Emphyrean headphones. The Mac introduced an unpleasant forwardness to the sound. It was not a huge difference but it was there and I didn’t like it.

In my case a computer as a front end is not as good as my Auralic as a front end. I don’t know if you would find the same with the Bluesound but don’t see why not. Clearly the front end before DAC matters regardless of what Keith says. 

The main reason why I bought the Node 2 was to get away from a computer. I was getting interference on it, maybe the power supply? Also some streamers such as Deezer HiFi had desktop issues but it works fine on the Node. I also had issues with Qobuz but have not tried that on the Node yet. But I want to move the computer out of the living room. Now I can control the music with an iPad mini. So for me the Node is much better than using my computer. 

7 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Yes this is an issue, there are no defined specifications for mixing/mastering studios, records are created in different sounding rooms with different sounding loudspeakers, Floyd Toole calls this ‘ a circle of confusion’.

If every room was built to the same specification and every engineer used the same fine measuring loudspeakers there would undoubtedly be better quality recordings.

However we still only have the record/cd/file and can only hope to reproduce that as accurately as possible.

Keith

If everything was the same and every engineer used the same 'fine measuring loudspeakers' you know what we'd get? A pile of anodyne dross. The best recording engineers in the business do just fine without anyone's suggestions and they each have their own preferences. That alone should tell you something.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, DomT said:

Unsighted?

Keith

Super Wammer

I would like Keith at Pure***** to book a room at the next wam show and bring all these best measuring cheaper components and show us how it’s done  

God this topic is so off the rails!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1