TheFlash

Bluesound Node 2 vs "pimped" Node 2i with linear PSU

OMG this thread.... I wish people would take their endless jabber and arguments with are Off the F Topic.... to another thread... 

If they just stuck to bluesound node 2i and various tweaks and their impressions the world would be more pleasant. 

Start your own threads and rant on in them. 95 pages and only about 4 have anything relevant to OP

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Richdirector said:

OMG this thread.... I wish people would take their endless jabber and arguments with are Off the F Topic.... to another thread... 

If they just stuck to bluesound node 2i and various tweaks and their impressions the world would be more pleasant. 

Start your own threads and rant on in them. 95 pages and only about 4 have anything relevant to OP

Now where would be the fun in that? ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DomT said:

You wrote these words (repeated below) in a thread that I started specifically about double blind testing and is entirely relevant to this thread where Keith asked if a test carried out by me was unsighted and I correctly quoted you.  You now appear to have changed your mind on the subject.

I  notice that Rabski who also made comments in the same double blind testing thread is happy to repeat his same words on the subject here in this thread because they are relevant and assert the same as you said at the time.

I demand that you retract your words requesting my retraction on the basis that a) you do not a valid argument and b) you had the temerity to use capital letters in your request; you should refrain from attempts to copy the style of such a genious (Twitter) literary icon as Donald Trump.

“....and I bid you good day sir” Extra points given if you know the film and scene that I have just quoted. 😂😂

6EDFC46D-CF55-4D6C-853A-A661C72B94DA.png

The quote was from a thread that was, at that time, discussing whether ad hoc DBT could or should be used as a method of choosing a system for ones own use.

It is clearly a daft idea for any number of reasons and has nothing to do with the establishment of 'proper' DBT methodology as a scientific tool, where it is very much accepted. Deliberately conflating comments made in different threads, about different subjects, is pretty poor form, even for a hi-fi forum. 

As for the film quote, that is quite disgraceful. Reported.

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

As for the film quote, that is quite disgraceful. Reported.

What film do you think it’s from? I think that you really don’t know (as doesn’t google)  The actual clip is very numerous and not disgraceful at all.

Some people won't admit to hearing a difference even if there is one. There was a test done that showed that: "Thorsten put together a blind ABX testing where he told participants it was a comparison of two power cables. But when he went behind the curtains, ostensibly to change the power cable, what he actually did was switch the speaker cables on one channel, so the system was playing out of phase. Thorsten had three different types of audiophiles take his test: subjectivists, objectivists, and those who were neither. The subjectivists and neutral listeners heard the effects of the system being thrown out of phase. The objectivists heard no differences."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DomT said:

What film do you think it’s from? I think that you really don’t know (as doesn’t google)  The actual clip is very numerous and not disgraceful at all.

Then perhaps you should stop trying to show off and say what you mean.

I do not do films, no real interest. Google refers to the Willie Wonka movie where the term is used in a most disparaging context.

Super Wammer

778505303_tenor(1).gif.a19c63099ae1245b5574d135f4d08823.gif

There needs to be a cat 😁

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Some people won't admit to hearing a difference even if there is one. There was a test done that showed that: "Thorsten put together a blind ABX testing where he told participants it was a comparison of two power cables. But when he went behind the curtains, ostensibly to change the power cable, what he actually did was switch the speaker cables on one channel, so the system was playing out of phase. Thorsten had three different types of audiophiles take his test: subjectivists, objectivists, and those who were neither. The subjectivists and neutral listeners heard the effects of the system being thrown out of phase. The objectivists heard no differences."

I have come to wonder if those who bang on about DBT do so because they are hard of hearing and, perhaps, jealous of all the wonderful differences in sound that others enjoy. ;)

9 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Who said I don't believe it?  

All the things you mentioned above are why it is "fluffy."  The "knowledge" gleaned from a study of this sort is useless: the numbers too small; the ideas too obscure and esoteric and the area of interest so discreet to be irrelevant. 

I can't tell you how many of these I have peer reviewed, read for marks or written myself. At the end of the day it is nicely scientifically presented.  That's about it.

Snap and the current numbers of papers in Covid epidemiology  is overwhelming and I am involved in trying to review and clear the backlog. My aim in posting this was to raise the use of an alternative way to understand people's responses to hearing audio. The more brain activity seen on EEG or through PET then the more positive the response? People responding to very high and very low frequencies has been suggested before and this could move it forward. I agree on Rabski's potential flaw but can not offer an answer, that must come from the experimenters. Using DBTs is very artifical and has not shown any differences that many claim exsists in the sound of SS amplifiers and SS DACs. Wearing a skull cap with sensors is also artificial but does not need clipboards/questions etc, audio training to listen, snatches of audio tracks etc. The machine measures your audio response?

Anyway back tp PSUs and digital playback.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Reported

...but without a comment to indicate why. Unfortunately, although the Mods are known for our superhuman powers, our psychic abilities are sadly lacking. :D

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I can understand that.

On another matter, it appears that bluebottles can hear so perhaps they just choose not to hear. :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I can understand that.

On another matter, it appears that bluebottles can hear so perhaps they just choose not to hear. :P

They probably can't hear when they've fallen in the water...

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

BeeRay, Firstly, what you describe is not an ABX test, sorry to be picky but it is indicative of how little understanding of these things there is in hifi circles.

Anecdotes of this type are plentiful, some ring true, others are clearly made up and are of the 'my wife came into the room and said...' variety. There are very few properly documented blind tests and even they get bogged down in statistical analysis that fail to offer any satisfactory conclusions. 

They are too complex and cumbersome to be used in hifi but that does not mean that they are in any way flawed, just that they are, mostly, not worth the effort, it explains my view that such tests are pointless as a tool for someone choosing a system for themselves.

What I do advocate, very strongly, is that enthusiasts should take part in any sensible blind test. The test does not have to be scientifically rigorous, probably not even double blind, but as long as the levels are matched and you can not see what is being played that will be enough.

I have conducted and taken part in such tests a fair number of times, relating the results would be anecdotal, so largely pointless, but one thing I will say is that everyone taking part were surprised by the results and even more surprised by the degree of difficulty involved in making choices and identifying particular products.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

We've long ago given up making such assumptions.

• Haha 1