TheFlash

Std vs "pimped" Bluesound Node 2i - and some other stuff

Super Wammer

I have only heard the unpimped Node2 feeding a Quetest and felt the difference was minimal at best and definitely NOT worth the additional £1100. The same for an RME ADI again the difference to my ears didn't warrant the £800+ outlay. The only dac I've heard that justified it's price was my current Mk1 Jolida Glass fx. The pimped Node is a very worthwhile lift in SQ over the plain vanilla Node, and feeding the Jolida (now also modded by Opendoor) it's just superb. I think I would have to spend serious ££s to get a better streaming experience, but that's to my ears, yours may say different. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 16/10/2020 at 11:06, K4mil3k said:

For now, it's just a survey while making own PSU for Node, so treat it as a product for Node and the survey as an addition. 

I will definitely not clutter this thread. I will move myself to "HiFi Trade" and start a separate topic when I have my offer ready.

I did not see this and I suspect quite a few others have missed it also, maybe best to start a new thread as suggested by Bencat. Quite a few run Pis, so maybe interested although Allo already cater for them. 

Do you have any prices for the 2 LPSUs? 

Unfortunately I can't bypass the internal DAC in my current streamer. 

I realise that the Qutest would require a separate WiFi streamer that for me would present another hurdle then raise another question which would be the best way.

Wondered if the quest was worth the extra effort and outlay?

But like the simplicity of a pimped node 2i if it's on the same level/ similar?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Trouble and strife said:

That's something only YOUR ears can decide. 

If you could fill out your profile details then.

A. We would know where you currently are kit wise, making it easier to give advice.

B. Your location as there may be wammers near you who could bring a pimped Node and possibly a Quetest for you to here in your system. 

• Like 1

Thanks Lurch I hadn't realised I hadn't filled profile in, have now updated.

Yes I appreciate all hear things different. We've been pulled by rave reviews and thought why do we read them lol.

Hence coming here for some good honest impartial advice, with the application we have our own preference.

Super Dealer

I realise that the Qutest would require a separate WiFi streamer that for me would present another hurdle then raise another question which would be the best way.

It sort of depends who you talk to. I thought that the dac output from even a pimped Node 2i was trailing way behind the Qutest even when the Qutest was only connected to the digital output from an unpimped 2i. However others have been pleased with the output from the dac of a pimped 2i. If you are near me (LE14) you are welcome to borrow both from me to try. 

Super Wammer

Thanks Lurch I hadn't realised I hadn't filled profile in, have now updated.

Nope details not showing, did you remember to save?? 

Thought I saved them will try again. Thanks letting me know.

I'm a drive out but not to far over in Lincoln. Would be fantastic to demo the other 2 DACs against my present streamer.

What would you say was the most cost effective way to stream via WiFi tidal to the Qutest.

7 hours ago, Trouble and strife said:

These things always depend on the system they’re in. When I was using vintage valves in to BBC monitors, there was comparatively little difference between digital sources. The current system I’m using picks up everything and the difference in streamer is obvious. Neither system was better than the other; transparency isn’t everything. 

• Like 2

HectorHughMunro I quite agree. Some components are more forgiving than others. To some the ease of a component easily accepting different sources cables is a pleasure, whilst to others it's the fine tuning and the searching for the holy grail.

10 hours ago, Trouble and strife said:

What would you say was the most cost effective way to stream via WiFi tidal to the Qutest.

It seems the Sonica functions as a Streamer/DAC with no digital outputs? 

The Qutest has no ability to accept wireless signals, if you want it you need a digital source with outputs.  The Node 2i does that. 

Personally, I have had it in my house, twice,  with a Sbooster LPS and have to agree w/ @Lurch that it's not worth money.  

Unfortunately as good as the Sonica is it doesn't have digital outputs.

I'm surprised to hear you don't rate the Qutest especially with the LPS.

What are you currently using?

Super Wammer

He's using a pimped MK2 Jolida (now Black Ice Audio) Glass fx dac, with his pimped Node2. 

• Haha 1

Super Dealer

I'm surprised to hear you don't rate the Qutest especially with the LPS.

Me too especially with these recent good reviews from the Wam review team.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/108-product-reviews-by-members/