Std vs "pimped" Bluesound Node 2i - and some other stuff

On 24/04/2021 at 03:13, Lloyd H said:

Wandered by looking for someone who has changed the clicking of a bluesound node 2i or power node.  Just want to say I recently installed the Fidelity Audio replacement power supply interface and added their ultra model linear PSU and a good IEC power cord and I think the difference is significant. Much more so than a tweak. Which is why I’m thinking of getting their replacement jitter/clocking board as well

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has done this (got a replacement low jitter clock) and what they think. How had it changed the sound, and would you recommend it ?

I'm already invested in their interface and an SBooster so don't want to change to a new streamer - I also really like the UI.

Edited by Freddyflybuttons
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just so everyone is clear on one thing. Every member of this forum has the right to their opinions. This is not a George Orwell novel and it is not and never will be the sort of place where opposing v

Today, Nigel @TheFlash and I managed to find time to sit down and finally listen to all power supply options available at Fourlegs Towers. These were from left to right on the sofa iFi iPowe

Hello all. I’ve contributed a few posts on here and had a few digs but it was all in good fun. I eventually went for Pawels (The Polish one) interface board(£75) and a used but immaculate Sb

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
On 24/04/2021 at 14:26, Sleslie said:

And I see that Fidelity Audio recommends upgrading the PSU before (or at same time as) upgrading the clock.  Next upgrade would be to replace the main board I guess.

Isn’t there a point where you should just buy a better (or at least another) streamer & DAC? It seems a bit like the story of my grandfather’s ax.  The best ax ever, been in the family 50 years.  Head has been replaced 2 times and the handle has been replaced 3 times.  

7 hours ago, Freddyflybuttons said:

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has done this (got a replacement low jitter clock) and what they think. How had it changed the sound, and would you recommend it ?

I'm already invested in their interface and an SBooster so don't want to change to a new streamer - I also really like the UI.

And this is precisely why most people who pimp stick with the Node rather than consolidating their Node-plus-tweaks rather than selling them and investing same in say an Auralic. I guess the very restless might somehow arrange to borrow a “better” competitor which might best the glorified Node, but it’s hard for many to muster the energy.

I might do so though! And will report back if so. One of the reasons this might make more sense for me than many is that I have Mutec reclockers in the mix too. Read on...

Edited by TheFlash
10 hours ago, Freddyflybuttons said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Almost everyone I know who has done any "pimping" uses the Node 2i purely as a streamer, into an external DAC, rather than using the internal DAC; I guess in many ways adding an external DAC could be considered Pimping Stage 1.

There is no facility on the Node 2i to input an external clock signal.

There is also no USB out, so no ability to let the target DAC do the clocking. It is because SPDIF incorporates the timing with the signal that a number of Node users have turned to the Mutec MC-3+ USB (the latter indicates the version/model, not that you must use USB) which strips out the original clock signal and adds a new higher quality time signal in instead.

See separate focused thread for further deliberations. And the perhaps predictable naysayers stating categorically that it can't possibly do anything.

17 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

No, but I admit to selling my pimped 2i and getting a second hand Innuos Zen Mini + power supply instead which was about the same money. 

@Fourlegs How do they compare to each other? Did you get the Innuos for the storage flexibility?

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I believe that the reference is to the Low Jitter Clock replacement boards that are available from Fidelity Audio.  Apparently they are used to upgrade everything from Node 2i’s to network switches to CD players with the intention of improving audio output.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sleslie said:

I believe that the reference is to the Low Jitter Clock replacement boards that are available from Fidelity Audio.  Apparently they are used to upgrade everything from Node 2i’s to network switches to CD players with the intention of improving audio output.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood. That does feel potentially OTT... would be good to hear of any listening experiences.

13 hours ago, Sleslie said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. I use an RME dac, and was just wondering what a low jitter clock (which is a term that means nothing at all to me) such as the fidelity audio ones for the node 2i might add to my system. 

Given that it's not plug and play it would be good to know before even thinking about it. I've sent fidelity audio an email to ask and will report back - I also asked if a demo model might be available... 

• Upvote 1