DKnowles

FS: Alphason Turntables and More

As the title suggests I have a rather large collection of Alphason Turntables that have been sat in my loft for too many years and it's time they found new homes. 

My father, Mike Knowles, was the founder of Alphason and when Alphason transitioned from producing tonearms and turntables to producing Hi-Fi furniture in the late 1990's early 2000's they uprooted and moved to new premises. These items were rescued from the storeroom as believe it or not they were earmarked for the skip. Hard to think I know, but they were different times.

Over the years I've become a quite a collector of everything "Alphason" as surprisingly we kept very little within the family. But the time has come to let some of my collection go as it hasn't seen the light of day in years.

To this end we have for sale 4 Sonata Turntables (2 are Ex demo and 2 are as new and unboxed), a Solo Turnatable as new and an Alphason Adonis power amp. I actually have 2 power amps but I only wish to part with one though I don't mind which. Both are boxed and as new in either oak or black ash.

If you are interested in any of the items below and live in the Birmingham area your more than welcome to drop in for a look and a chat. Otherwise I'm quite happy to post.

Any questions just ask.

1. The first item is an early Alphason Sonata which was produced for the American market, it has an internal power supply with a two pin plug. Unlike it's UK counterparts the American version only had single motor. The early versions of the Sonata had no speed control and only ran at 33rpm. This Turntable was probably used as a demo version but is in very good condition.

EpIpNge.jpg

uPjpFkQ.jpg?1

c0p172Z.jpg

I2OKFuB.jpg

ZB2aVuO.jpg

y6029Ao.jpg

2. The second is a later Alphason Sonata which again was probably a demo turntable. Twin motors, internal power supply with speed control on the front. The turntable comes with a power lead with a European two pin plug but can be power by an external power supply such as the Atlas.               ***************** The Demo Black Sonata has provisionally been Sold ****************

3. XDFgRiq.jpg

slwaiBQ.jpg

LLpqLnz.jpg

Ka6gADb.jpg

au0oaQB.jpg

4KsEXHM.jpg

R5NQwy8.jpg  

4. Third is an Alphason Solo which was a step down from the Sonata but still a great little turntable. This is as new, it comes boxed with a note saying it was returned in exchange for another Solo but in black.

HRpbudc.jpg

hJIDEqP.jpg

Ski94FU.jpg

GdYILSZ.jpg

tk7y5ZR.jpg

EQvHkwV.jpg

wu8akKW.jpg?1

5. Fourth and Fifth are two Sonata's which are boxed ready for transit and have never been opened since they left the factory. The first is the same Gold version pictured above but made for the UK market with twin motors.

***************** The Unboxed Gold Sonata has now been Sold ****************

1. i4CRH9S.jpg?2

AghHxPi.jpg

Ad2bjCk.jpg

2. The Second is the same but with a black ash finish.                                                                                                                                                                 ***************** The Unboxed Black Sonata has provisionally been Sold ****************

3. FKMjcWY.jpg

wehv2PZ.jpg

• Additional images of the two Adonis power amps

ZZUUsIP.jpg

jPJ5jGU.jpg

kd0wTZu.jpg

SglMwXB.jpg

AQurbgb.jpg

gQm5MUL.jpg

kLOPrQ5.jpg

2zJyUd8.jpg

13HLU6P.jpg

vLYeZ5n.jpg

Edited by DKnowles
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

How much are the David..?

Prices please, the boxed Sonata turntables look nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, daimler said:

Any more info about power amps, some pictures and price?

I've added additional photo's of the two Adonis power amps.

As for prices, the ex demo Sonata with the single motor I'm looking for offers around £250 - £300

The ex demo Sonata with the twin motor offers around £400, this does come with a lid and I'll try and take some more photos.

The un-boxed Sonata's and Adonis power amps it's a lot harder to price as they are as new. I managed to pull out an old price list from back in the day, the Sonata used to retail for £838 and the Adonis £473 and really to start I'd be looking for offers in or around this price.

Well the mounting was pretty universal, they were designed to take arms with an effective length of 229mm with a Linn style 3 bolt fixing. The tonearm pivot to spindle length is 211mm to give optimum tracking angle. I've only ever fitted a HR100s but in the past I've seen them paired with Helius, Rega and Linn tonearms.

The Solo has a detachable arm board so you could make an arm board to fit any tonearm.

I'll see if I can take a photo of the arm mount on one of the Sonata's to give you an idea.

yua2gQF.jpg

Edited by DKnowles

I'd be interested in one of the arm mounting collar/bases as my Xenon has a stripped thread on one of its allen bolts so is only secured with one rather than 2....

Ta

Edited by cooky1257

On 07/10/2019 at 22:10, DKnowles said:

Thanks cooky, I've sent a PM

PP P made.

Thanks.

Hi,

@DKnowles -Some queries please:

The two motor Sonata could work in N. America?

'speed control'  referred to above - is that the 33.3/45 rpm selection button?

If the answers above are yes would you consider shipping the demo one to Canada?

Edited by lpinion