Adam.

Looking for some advice.

10 minutes ago, Adam. said:

*update* To anyone with similar issues with a set-up such as mine. 

It was a combination of nasty sounding silver interconnects (especially the digital cable) and a combination of dac and power amp matching with my speakers. Changing the power amp(s) made the largest change for the better. As did changing from silver plated interconnects to shielded copper.  

I now have a much fuller natural midrange with a touch of warmth and enough bass to sound live. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

Regards, Adam.

I'm glad you got sorted.

I'm very familiar with the old Ref Series, having owned the 205/2 for several years. Wrongly matched, they could sound lean, shouty and strident. I paid a lot of attention to cabling and partnering equipment and had them sounding vibrant and realistic.

I've owned the kef 203 once, 203/2 twice, 205/2 three times and the 207/2 once. 

I've also owned the  cyrus cdxtse.. I wouldn't put the cyrus equipment as a match with the kef reference series anywhere. Funny thing is the last pair of 205/2 I purchased from a chap he had just purchased new the kef reference 5 and a full latest cyrus kit with all the mono amps, dac's, etc and it sounded terrible. He had it set up in a glass conservatory with hard tiled floor...

The 205/2 i really like the well punctuated bass, extended treble and superb imaging a totally addictive non fatiguing loudspeaker that for me are the best of the /2 reference range and one of my favourite ever loudspeakers, the 203/2 is a great little speaker that paired well performs very well. The 207/2 where bloody awful.... Boring as hell. 

I'm glad though you have your system back on track and have ironed out your issues😊

Edited by 2010*zuma

In my opinion the Cyrus "house sound" is a light, fast bass and it has to be carefully matched with suitable speakers, accessories and system setup to give an overall balanced sound. 

It can be really good, I recall with great fondness a CD8x player that sounded quite beautiful! 

Excellent that you have sorted your system out to your satisfaction.  And thanks for coming back with an update :^ a lot of folks don't bother to 'complete' an advice request thread in that way. 

Edited by JANDL100

The cd8x did have a very good reputation as an integrated cd player. If I remember rightly the cdxtse was a transport needing the external dac and was rather detailed and forward sounding where as the cd8 was alot easier to live with... 

Edited by 2010*zuma

Having read your first post id definitely look at the amplification

I don't know what the new amp was that made the difference - maybe it was a valve amp. 

A valve amp is usually going to be my solution to a sound which lacks emotional engagement. smoothness and warmth. An amp, not a preamp, since I favour feeding the amp straight from the DAC. Needs some consideration since the best valve amps in terms of value are usually pre-owned ones. We've discussed this often here, and members exchange amps.