ClassikFan

Amplifier Servicing

I have had my power amp for 12 years and with it being 2nd hand when I got it, I am thinking maybe I should get it serviced.

Are there any recommendations as to who I should take it to?

It is a Plinius 8200P.

Thanks in advance. Stu

If it ain't broke don't mess with it! "servicing" is mostly bollocks. Repairs on the other hand are a different kettle of fish. 

Ask yourself this. 

"Does it sound right?"

if the answer yes, then leave it alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There is also Henry, toprepairman of this parish, he has a fully equipped workshop in Fetcham, close to Leatherhead.

Super Wammer

It is always a difficult thing to determine whether to service an amp or not.

The thing is if an amp is performing as it should and none of the capacitors are leaking then personal view is why get it serviced?

So not sure - you have to do what you think is best for you .. I did a google search "Should I get my amplifier serviced" and "Recommended interval for amplifier servicing" .. Naim and Marshall servicing popped up - other than that it was all about "Repairs" .. so I take comfort that as I do not have a Naim or a Marshall amp (I do have a Roland Cube 80) then I am ok not getting a service carried out :) 

32 minutes ago, Tristan said:

If it ain't broke don't mess with it! "servicing" is mostly bollocks. Repairs on the other hand are a different kettle of fish. 

Ask yourself this. 

"Does it sound right?"

I have a bit of a hum, audible during quiet passages of music or when nothing is playing.

11 minutes ago, ClassikFan said:

I have a bit of a hum, audible during quiet passages of music or when nothing is playing.

Through the speakers or the amp itself?

Also is it specific to one particular source, i.e. the Gyro only? 

Edited by Tristan

10 minutes ago, Tristan said:

Through the speakers or the amp itself?

Also is it specific to one particular source, i.e. the Gyro only? 

All sources through the speakers. Didn't used to get it.

Sounds like the main smoothing caps in the power amp are past their best in that case. It's probably a 50hz hum you're hearing ;-)

51 minutes ago, ClassikFan said:

How do I get in touch with Henry, please?

Send a PM to toprepairman

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, ClassikFan said:

All sources through the speakers. Didn't used to get it.

With age the windings on the mains transformer can delaminate a bit which makes the transformer hum or buzz (put your ear on the amp casework to identify) but this should not result in hum through the loudspeakers.

If you are getting hum through the loudspeakers on all sources then summat is wrong and it is time for the repairman to repair methinks as you had no hum problem before now. 

On some kit the design of the preamp can allow noise to bleed from one input to another.  As such it may be worth disconnecting the inputs for the items not selected (e.g disconnect the Turntable, Tuner and other sources leaving the connection on the input being tested).  This will identify if the source of the problem is attributable to noise bleeding to other outputs (which will probably be a problem in the preamp stages).   Oh and also disconnect all inputs to see if there is hum through the loudspeakers - as that should not occur at all and will indicate a problem of some kind with the amp and not the items connected to it perhaps.

On 14/10/2019 at 22:19, Tristan said:

Ask yourself this. 

"Does it sound right?"

Hmm, can see both sides of the argument myself. So yes, but as electronic components are the same as anything else they do wear and age, maybe it's not a bad idea to bring it bad to its former glory, especially if its a great peice of equipment. The trouble is finding someone who can do as good as it was intended to be from the factory. 

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Hmm, can see both sides of the argument myself. So yes, but if ectronic components are the same as anything else they do wear and age, so maybe it's not a bad idea to bring it bad to its former glory, especially if its a great peice of equipment. The trouble is finding someone who can do as good as it was intended to be from the factory. 

I agree with you Eddie for the most part. However when they wear they fail, so that means it needs a repair. Stuart has already said he has a "hum" through the speakers, so it's a repair he needs, not a "service" ;-)

The only things things that really "wear out" with age are electrolytic caps and that is mostly caused by heat or manufacturers speccing the voltage too close to thresholds (I'm looking at you Musical Fidelity!). Everything else either works or doesn't ;)

Edited by Tristan
  • Like 2