Richard A

Mains purification/regeneration - worth considering?

This particular consumer had a DIY turntable in place that had been made by a local man who had engineered a SME 20 style suspension system allied to a massive corian plinth. There was a top flight arm and cart on board and I recall he was using a pair of Living Voice speakers and a valve amp. His system was of sufficient interest to be featured in a Hifi World article in a very favourable manner.

Doesnt sound like an idiot to me.

Jack

5 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

This particular consumer had a DIY turntable in place that had been made by a local man who had engineered a SME 20 style suspension system allied to a massive corian plinth. There was a top flight arm and cart on board and I recall he was using a pair of Living Voice speakers and a valve amp. His system was of sufficient interest to be featured in a Hifi World article in a very favourable manner.

Doesnt sound like an idiot to me.

Jack

When it comes to DACS, Cables and mains conditioning you really never going to get a clear answer from Hifi forums. The only way of knowing is trying for yourself. I use a 6way block which isolates each equipment from putting noise into the next.  Regeneration on the other hand, to be done properly can be quite expensive. Regeneration is no good if you got no mains problems in the first place. 

• Like 1

If anyone reading this has a mains improvement product that works for them and is willing to lend it to Joolz's bake off team for valuation please let myself or Joolz or anyone of us involved know so we can evaluate it in the systems we set up there.

Geographically, we are realistically talking abou the S.E. of England, for pick up, unless someone wants to post it. Im sure the various attendees at the bake off can have a whip round for the postage.

Jack NSM

Super Wammer

Happy to bring my PI 1500S Sunday. 

• Like 1

I have to turn off my TP-link powerline off (that brings internet to my cabin) when I listen to vinyl since it causes various pops on my Pro-ject Phono RS box. Project also do an lion battery power supply add-on to disconnect it from the mains, since lo level MC cartridges are particularly susceptible to mains noise, but I haven’t tried it.

I think some kit may benefit from mains conditioners/mains products. Additionally, tho I found my amp sounding better going straight into the wall and bypassing my Tacima mains conditioner plug board.

I think no hard and fast rules, and some can work as a detriment

• Upvote 1

I was planning on selling my PI1500AG when I bought a dedicated PSU for my 401. At the same time i tried a valve phono stage suffering dreadful RFI problems. Despite having no tuner in the house or any other item plugged into the amp, i could hear BBC Surrey via the phono stage!

Then it was suggested to plug the valve phono stage into the PI1500 and the RFI was completely solved. The valve phono stage is now very quiet and performance dramatically improved. So the PI1500 stayed as without it, the phono stage is unlistenable.

Although i plug my main amp with dual transformers into the wall i recently tried an amp with SMPS which draws very little power compared to my old school amp. Via the wall socket performance was flatter than expected, however via the PI1500, it opened out and sounded more transparent and extended with no loss of dynamics. As mentioned above, its horses for courses.

I got a simple conditioner. Was tested with that thingamajig mains tester. The noise level was reduced by heck of a lot as per the tester.

When used in my system, hardly noticed any difference.

Now, I met some dealers who tell me that an expensive multi-way power strip will really increase the quality of my system. 🙄

Edited by tIANcI
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Well they would wouldn’t they.

Keith

I've just finished 3 weeks of renovation work including a rewire with Cat 6 and a OTT mains feed for the hifi. 6 double sockets fed via ring final with 4mm2 T&E cable. The internal resistance (R1 + R2) of this circuit is crazy low. Gonna be awhile before the hifi is reinstated, would be v interesting to then see if a mains purifier type product makes any difference.

Not really. Will be a bonus if the sound is somehow cleaner or transients better etc. It can't make the sound any worse!

Half the boxes in my room are for power treatment. Apart from the highlighted items in the pic, there is a isotek power conditioner and another 3 LPSU hidden from view. 

Does it make a difference I don't know, I think it works for small power components like dac's and preamp etc...maybe it removes a little digital glare but Iam incapable as a critical listener to make out suck things. 

I think we all have an area of hifi we have a OCD about. For some it is isolators or cables....for me it is power treatment :D

Screenshot_20191020-161832_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Half the boxes in my room are for power treatment. Apart from the highlighted items in the pic, there is a isotek power conditioner and another 3 LPSU hidden from view. 

Does it make a difference I don't know, I think it works for small power components like dac's and preamp etc...maybe it removes a little digital glare but Iam incapable as a critical listener to make out suck things. 

I think we all have an area of hifi we have a OCD about. For some it is isolators or cables....for me it is power treatment :D

Screenshot_20191020-161832_Gallery.jpg

I can highly recommend some mains DC blockers that I bought from ATL HiFi , they are superbly built and priced extremely well.

Not only did they eliminate the slight hum from the very large toroids in my Electrocompaniet equipment but there is a significant improvement to the sound quality which I did not expect .

Aleksandar is very helpful if you have any questions or if you require custom made equipment.

I bought two of them one for all source equipment and a higher power version for my monoblocks.

Have a look at the website .

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-assembled-devices/dc-blocker-trap-filter-assembled-in-case/

https://www.atlhifi.com/

image.png.4b6c2f10e5dd00226595b10857e58721.png

Edited by Electro
  • Upvote 1

I've got a workshop at the bottom of the garden where they use an arc welder, made a lot of interference with my NAD amps but no noise with the Bryston amps.

Guess that extra weight does something.