Tune

Hobby required.

What and why?

55 Years Old - much of those spent doing things of choice so I can rule some things out.

Cycling - been there. Done that. Not allowed to do it anymore

Cars. Been there. Done that. Not allowed to drive anymore.

Travel - Been to many places and memory compromised so not what it was.

Audio - been there - still got that - although not as a hobby.

Photography. Have tried to get into that. The issue is that I used to do that (worked for Fox Talbot. Did a lot of work with 35mm then travelled the world and shot some amazing scenes).

So, a genuine question as I am going out of my mind with boredom stuck in the flat. What do you guys do to relax and why do you do it/ what do you get from it? I'm sure there's an assortment of interesting sidelines (no not those ones...), just one of you might give me an idea that appeals. I'm not allowed "vigorous exercise" (so that rules THAT one out anyway) but others? Buying and selling? Building? making? Creating? Who does what and why 

Might seem like a bloody boring thread title but I'm looking for inspiration so why not.

Writing. I used produce screenplays for documentaries and film scripts. Once you get in the 'swing' of writing it becomes very addictive. Don't have the time now but they good to look back on.

Or this.

• Like 1

Try joining a local art class. Even if you think you are not much good then they will teach you the basics. You can then do this at home which is quite therapeutic. I have done this for a couple of years now and really enjoy it. 

Join a walking club which will give you exercise and companionship.

Try the U3A where there are a multitude of activities.

Edited by mr.me
  • Upvote 1

Invest in a comfy shed for advanced fettling and remolishing.

I like restoring things, and quite like the idea of retiring and making things out of wood.

I'm even looking at simple wood lathes on eBay with piqued interest these days.

Gotta couple of decades of BBQ judging before that hobby gets taken up seriously though - Being a fully certified Kansas City Barbecue Judge and Table Captain takes up most of my weekends when we're not playing Historic Formula Ford 2000 at various racetracks around the country.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Try walk a dog most days, borrow a friend's dog if you don't already own one etc.....it's fabulous.

Travel abroad....explore the globe if you can.

Join a local Choral group, I'd six years doing this and so loved it..!

Meet up with friends a few times a week for coffee/scone outings at different locations...

Head out to live gigs/concerts often.

(Peter)

• Like 2

A martial art. It doesn't have to involve vigorous exercise...

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - all ground work and like human chess with over 1000 moves. Or how about Tai Chi - complete relaxation and after 20 years you'll be a badass ninja.

Or learn a skill and use it to help others - for example I'm a trained first aider, you could then volunteer at events, be a first responder for your local area etc. etc.. plus if someone in the street ever needs help you'll know what to do.

Book clubs, restaurant sampling, walks around the country, the possibilities are endless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Brown said:

Invest in a comfy shed for advanced fettling and remolishing.

Definitely this. I have a large shed that gets used for woodworking mostly, and a workshop with assorted metal shop gear in it. Plenty of scope for everything from upcycling to clockmaking - pick your poison. Talking of upcycling, this was my entry in the annual scarecrow competition this year:

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

One of my friends volunteers for a local blind charity - he runs errands with them, meets up with them for lunch and does occasional day trips. He absolutely loves it and it's a great way to meet people who are less fortunate, give something to others and be useful in his spare time.

• Like 1

Reading, krav-maga (but my hips are now complaining so don't do this as much), learning to play guitar (again), learning French, learning to weld, going to concerts, going to the movies, motorbikes; and all that entails, and finally organising and going on holidays. This is the stuff I am doing since I retired 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 55.

Edited by Bolosun
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Given your previous interest in cycling and need to avoid vigorous exercise, I'm with those here suggesting some less strenuous form of exercise:

• walking. A dog forces you out of the house come rain or shine and I always feel refreshed)
  • tai chi. Unless your balance and coordination are shot - they will improve through tai chi but if your brain doesn't do them any more then you'll just get frustrated. Some find it repetitive but they're the folk who are lilterally going through the motions rather than entering into it
  • anything else which has a social element to its modest activity levels

I also like the idea of something creative like writing, art, singing... or wood turning. Something which expresses an internal creativity in ways which might surprise you.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Bolosun said:

Reading, krav-maga (but my hips are now complaining so don't do this as much), learning to play guitar (again), learning French, learning to weld, going to concerts, going to the movies, motorbikes; and all that entails, and finally organising and going on holidays. This is the stuff I am doing since I retired 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 55.

I had to look up Krav Maga! Nice one. Israeli military martial art then, like the Korean tae kwon do I got my second dan black belt in age 43-ish. Social, challenging, fabulous, still miss it. Not recommended though due to OP need to avoid vigorous exercise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I had to look up Krav Maga! Nice one. Israeli military martial art then, like the Korean tae kwon do I got my second dan black belt in age 43-ish. Social, challenging, fabulous, still miss it. Not recommended though due to OP need to avoid vigorous exercise.

I've had 1 hip replaced, but the other one is now complaining. So after 5 years I am having to take a step back. Hopefully once I get the other one replaced I can get my P5.

Cooking. 

It’s cost neutral  (actually costs a lot less than ready-meals and take-aways) and far more nutritious which has to be good whatever the state of your health.

Edited by chebby