Wifi signal boosters

bigrod

Hi guys and lasses

I have recently encountered a little bit of drop in signal pick up by my streamer as it's the furthest device from my router. 

Basically in a direct line the signal has to pass through approx 5 walls of a 1950s solid brick house. And also 12 inches of my built in vinyl collection..

What is the best booster and more importantly do they work..

I don't want the cost of moving my external feed to the house as I hope to be moving soon and an ethernet cable is not possible due to the logistics of going from the bottom of the stairs through the hall and then through the lounge or kitchen to the conservatory.

Kindest regards Julian 

Signal boosters are a problem - you have to place them somewhere where there is a good signal, otherwise all you are doing is amplifying a poor signal, which won't help much. So they need to be placed fairly close to the signal. Which kinda defeats the object. You may get find that one will work, but there really is no substitute for running an Ethernet cable and then either using a direct connection or sticking a WiFi access point on the end of it. Much more satisfactory results that way.

Are you finding that it is degrading the performance/SQ? If not, don't worry about it, but plan to do a proper wiring job in the new house. 

• Like 2

I use BT Wholehome. It's a series of 2 or 3 discs that connect to each other. You plug one into your existing router and it talks to the others. We now get a very good signal all the way through the house. You can also take it with you when you move.

As has been said though, the ideal solution is a cable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have used powerline WiFi extenders before, they utilise your house electrical circuit which isn’t ideal but they do work well. As stated before, ideally a direct connect Ethernet cable but that may be difficult getting it through 5 rooms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just to add I'm on sky broadband and at this late stage in a house move I don't really want the hassle of switching supplier

Kindest regards Julian

I have used powerline WiFi extenders before, they utilise your house electrical circuit which isn’t ideal but they do work well. As stated before, ideally a direct connect Ethernet cable but that may be difficult getting it through 5 rooms.

Agreed - they work very well BUT they are not just Wifi extenders because you can plug an ethernet cable into the 'slave' device nearest you HiFi device and get, in my case, around 300 Mbps to my CXN.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I had to give up on power line adaptors. They were introducing house on the mains and this was being picked up by my external phono stage.

• Like 1

Just to add I'm on sky broadband and at this late stage in a house move I don't really want the hassle of switching supplier
Kindest regards Julian
You don't need to change provider. I'm with Virgin but use the BT devices for my Wi-Fi. They are just BT branded hardware that plugs into your existing router and provide a Wi-Fi network. You can still also use your existing router for both Wi-Fi and ethernet if you want to.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123919329130

• Like 1

Kindest regards Julian
Sky themselves can supply a WiFi extender. Maybe if you phone up, act dumb and say your WiFi doesn't reach all through your house (like they probably advertised it would) they will send you one for "free"*.

* may remain their property, etc.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I use TP Links and my household wiring so I can hardwire my Node2 and NAS (each in different room to my Sky router) using ethernet cables into the TPs, works a treat. 

Also have a BT range extender upstairs,  driven from the router downstairs. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

Sky themselves can supply a WiFi extender. Maybe if you phone up, act dumb and say your WiFi doesn't reach all through your house (like they probably advertised it would) they will send you one for "free"*.

* may remain their property, etc.

Acting dumb isn't isn't a problem for me 

Kindest regards Julian 

You don't need to change provider. I'm with Virgin but use the BT devices for my Wi-Fi. They are just BT branded hardware that plugs into your existing router and provide a Wi-Fi network. You can still also use your existing router for both Wi-Fi and ethernet if you want to.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123919329130

I have a currys nearby so I will pop in and have chat..

Looks like a good option

Kindest regards Julian 

TP link works great ... just plug, click WPS and it connects then you are good to go. This is just an average unit. There are better ones.

BE85A81A-A304-4876-8798-1B35FDE11A48.jpeg

• Like 1