rabski

Best Verdi Requiem please

Starting to work through my collection and have discovered the only recording I have of this is on the EMI Classics label and sounds like it was recorded with a microphone in a toilet roll tube. Well, not quite that bad, but it's definitely very heavy on the mids and 'flat' sounding.

So, recommendations please for the best recording of it. Vinyl or CD.

Ta.

My recommendation for Verdi Requiem ( my personal view of course ) is for Karajan, from Deutsche Grammophon with Anna Tomowa Sintow, Agnes Baltsa, José Van Dam and Carreras.

Just a quick off topic personal note, Mozart Requiem and Magnificat by Bach for me is the most beautiful coral works of all times and all music history too.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I've already got a few versions of the Mozart and most of them are fine, but I like the Verdi so a more listenable version would be good.

Fauré Requiem is beautiful as well.

:^

1 minute ago, Beckenham said:

I prefer the Solti recording, great singers like Marilyn Horne, Sutherland, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do I.

On 12/11/2019 at 09:23, Beckenham said:

Fauré Requiem is beautiful as well.

The one by Joe Green is pretty good too...:dunno:

You buggers are going to cost me a fortune :D

Ordered the Decca Solti and Reiner versions so I'll see how they sound to these battered ears.

Too much choice, too little time :S. I really wish I didn't enjoy classical music as much as other genres, because it seems a lot more hit and miss in terms of recording quality. Ironic really, because I can tolerate relatively poor recordings of rock and even some jazz, but I can't live with it when it comes to orchestral works. It kills my enjoyment stone dead.

2 hours ago, rabski said:

Ordered the Decca Solti and Reiner versions so I'll see how they sound to these battered ears.

Too much choice, too little time :S. I really wish I didn't enjoy classical music as much as other genres, because it seems a lot more hit and miss in terms of recording quality. Ironic really, because I can tolerate relatively poor recordings of rock and even some jazz, but I can't live with it when it comes to orchestral works. It kills my enjoyment stone dead.

Please let us know what you think -  and feel to pass the blame on, if you don't.

Over 30 years of marriage have ensured that I'm now very good at being the one in the wrong.

• Haha 1