robbie010

Easy to build High Efficiency 2 Way Design?

Super Wammer

Is there such a thing!?

Not wanting to hijack Knipester’s thread, I thought it best to post separately with a slightly different question. 

I have been looking around the usual places and researching high efficiency speakers to partner with low power 300b amps. There are lots of lovely speakers out there on the market but budget is a major limiting factor at the minute so my eye’s have turned down the DIY route. 

I think I have settled on the idea of a two way design with a horn tweeter up top and 12” or 15” woofer for the lower register. Ideally, I’m looking to achieve somewhere around the 100db mark in sensitivity.  

I found a design that looks interesting by an outfit called Beyma, however, the design seems to lean more towards profession PA type use rather than home hifi.

Can anyone suggest a speaker design that follows my thinking, ideally something that is not too complex to build...... I’m handy with woodworking and a soldering iron but I’m no Da Vinci!!

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Troelsgravesen has some efficient speaker options. 

Scroll down to the section headed

"Constructions based on the 8008-HMQ high-efficiency driver" 

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

I would try the fane twin cones 12 & 15" they are really good for the price. A simple sealed box can work a treat. And a good intro to speaker building 

I've had them next to my speakers they are good, and a genuine 99db  they take alot of running in and are best to listen off axis ... but a small price to pay for a good speaker. Steve over on audio-talk has spent the last year tweaking his pair of 12s and his son has the 15s.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, steve 57 said:

I would try the fane twin cones 12 & 15" they are really good for the price. A simple sealed box can work a treat. And a good intro to speaker building 

I've had them next to my speakers they are good, and a genuine 99db  they take alot of running in and are best to listen off axis ... but a small price to pay for a good speaker. Steve over on audio-talk has spent the last year tweaking his pair of 12s and his son has the 15s.

They look interesting. Could they be partnered with a horn tweeter?

I like the idea of a simple sealed box, maybe with a nice exotic veneer. 

23 hours ago, robbie010 said:

They look interesting. Could they be partnered with a horn tweeter?

I like the idea of a simple sealed box, maybe with a nice exotic veneer. 

Of course they could.. it's the top end that smoothes out after alot of running in so a good 98 db ish tweeter would be a good addition.. and what i would do if I was starting out with diy speakers

A fullrange driver would probably be the safest bet because crossover design done properly is very complicated, and to be honest I wouldn't trust any published DIY design 100%. If you want a flat frequency response you could experiment with baffle step correction (bsc). There are online calculators that should get you somewhere near. Just buy some cheap, lowish DCR inductors of various values, wire them in series with the woofer and listen. 

7 hours ago, ff1d1l said:

Something along the along the lines of what Nial posted in this thread would be the way I would go. A high efficency 15" driver in an Onken loaded cabinet with a 4" horn loaded compression driver on top. Would humble most systems.

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 3

The general problem with a 2 way speaker is that you only have 2 drivers to cover the full frequency range. And if you want decent bass then the bigger the bass/mid driver the better. But the bigger they are the less high they go and you have the problem of finding a tweeter that goes low enough to meet it.

A ribbon or the air motion transformer (AMT) as in the Heil designs are too narrow in their frequency range in their normal sizes to reach down to meet the bass mid. A dome is better as they go lower. (See the Jantzen discussion of why he chose the Son Audax tweeter to marry with his J8008 bass/mid in the TQWT.).

A horn only exacerbates the problem, I think I am right in  saying, because it narrows the frequency range of the compression driver even further - that's why you need 5 drivers in a full horn system but only 3, say, in a full system using direct radiators and a tweet. So a hornloaded tweeter needs another driver in between it and the bass/mid (now bass) driver.

A full range driver gets round this issue, as argued above.

A suggestion (in answer to your question) is the Jantzen TQWT which I mentioned above. It has Jantzen's 8" bass/mid and the Son Audax dome unit (or a Seas Millenium) and is 94 db per watt efficient. They would be perfect for the type of amps you mention. I own a pair.

I demonstrated mine at Kegworth with a SET connected EL34 amp (Megahertz) and currently I am driving them with a pair of SET connected 845s (Cary 805). They are excellent speakers. Get the uprated crossover. They need to be close to wall boundaries, preferably corners - something to bear in mind.

The builder is on here - steveS I think.

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 2

I use a low power 300b SE amp and my choice has been Mark Audio Alpair 10M full range units. No crossover, decently sensitive around 89db, good treble and enough bass for me. I'd call it a smooth and balanced sound. I have 4ft high columns but I sealed the ports up and use them in IB. Better midrange. The bass loosens up a lot with time and since my units are a few years old I can get away with a sealed box. Recommended. Kits from here...

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product-category/diy-audio/speaker-kits/wideband-fullrange/

I've been using a 2 way loosely based on the klipsch cornwall (cornscala) with my audionote kit1 300b SE.

I'd highly recommend it.

I have plans somewhere but from memory its 180L vented box with peerless 15" woofer (FSL1530 and DFM-2535R00 which is a compression tweeter renowned for being more hi-fi than PA.

I use a faital LTH102 horn and a 2nd order crossover. 

9 hours ago, grog said:

I've been using a 2 way loosely based on the klipsch cornwall (cornscala) with my audionote kit1 300b SE.

I'd highly recommend it.

I have plans somewhere but from memory its 180L vented box with peerless 15" woofer (FSL1530 and DFM-2535R00 which is a compression tweeter renowned for being more hi-fi than PA.

I use a faital LTH102 horn and a 2nd order crossover. 

Excellent choice of budget drivers. Got any measurements?

I put together a DIY version of the Bastani Mandala speakers the drivers are often seen on eBay it's 100db and consists of 2x12" free range Bastani drivers (no crossover) with tweeter assist + a 15" bass driver per channel.

The 15" bass driver can either be configured to run off the same amp as the other drivers or allows for separate bi amping or just left disconnected.

I've used it with a bunch of low power amps currently it's powered directly from my Chord Dave (no amp in-between) with pleasing results the Dave's can output 2W.

However its bit of a beast and WAF is pretty low. 

I started with a single version inspired after reading this thread much higher WAF then added a second pair of mandala drivers won on a eBay auction about 12months later.

Edited by JamieMcC

Tannoy 3142 drivers, 97dB/W . 

Drop these into 100L cabs for a response good  to 50hz then place them close to a wall....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402445322591 no affiliation.

Super Wammer

Its been a long while since I checked back on this thread, nice to see it’s still active!

In the end I went in the opposite direction and ended up making a fairly faithful copy of the Klipsch La Scala, 3 way horn speakers. 

I did have a project thread running in the DIY forum, if anyone is interested. 

4B077C76-0003-4894-8115-9B18408651AC.jpeg

• Like 6