Distorted Vision

What happened to Tuners?

52 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

maybe , but when i had a very transparent pre amp like a mfa you could hear everything , there are still some great programs on Fm i think 

In London there were far more!  Out here in Suffolk. BBC 1to 4,.  Radio Suffolk that's very much it.  Can't summon up any enthusiasm for any of them.  Even bought a Magnum Dynalab tuner.  As they say crap in crap out!  Listen all day to internet radio, mainly wvia.org or 1.fmadorejazz.net.  Suberb music and great sound quality.  HD radio on the internet is brilliant.  Traditional broadcast media is dead in the water.  Can't compete with Audio or Video streaming in content or quality.

Edited by Ron Hilditch

I've got a onkyo 4030 fitted a good outside digital aerial still get drop outs on dab also a lot of dab in mono so mostly listen on fm which to me sounds great.

19 hours ago, hifinutt said:

I have a tuner in the classifieds,  got a queue of folks in other parts of the world . I do still love the superb sound from fm tuners 

Think I'll hang on to my tuner, just in case the BBC do eventually decide to totally turn off iPlayer. Mind you by that time the government will probably have  achieved their goal of reclaiming and selling off the VHF frequencies. 

19 hours ago, Fantasque said:

I have a QUAD FM4 in my rack but it’s only there to balance out the look of the 34 Pre and 405 power amp. Really must get round to putting an fm aerial in the loft and get it going. I notice there isn’t a “tuner option” in the profile of this site either.... 

The good old FM4!

My 35 year old model is currently in its original packing, within a big Lasky's carrier bag (Cost £219 Feb 1984, bought it home on the bus)

I've had to replace a few components, but only after the first 11 and 18 years. (I wrote to Quad about upping the DIN output level and got a hand-drawn circuit diagram from the company Director! That's what I call service).

Latterly I've been getting radio from Sky / Humax satellite and RPi streamed internet, but got the FM4 out the other day (as its back-up battery needs a top-up after 5 years).

Connected to a 5 element roof aerial, I was reminded how good it sounded. I've had Pioneer and Nad tuners, still own a Denon TU-460L, but the old Quad takes some beating.

Edited by Gray
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I still have my sony 777ES tuner..with an  aerial on the roof

Great sound but sadly rarely used due to internet now.

Kindest regards Julian 

It’s the lack of quality programming which has killed fm, bbc is pants, the budget cuts have killed radio 4, and radio 2 is full of 2nd rate tv personalities.

sold wonderful magnum Dynalab as spend most time listening to radio 6. Picked up a Cyrus fmx for peanuts, for occasional live broadcasts.

Got a Musical Fidelity T1 here, its on the 2nd hifi as primary needs a digital out to go into the Wadia DAC/Pre.

Super Wammer

Still got my Sansui T500L, but not used it since 2012 as fm reception here is shite as is most of the programme content (don't do adverts or R1 & 2 with attendant innane chatter).