Countryman

Speakers for Audiolab 6000 series

Good evening all,

Wonder if I could ask for some recommendations, please. I've recently bought the Audiolab 6000a and the accompanying 6000cdt. I've been running it through some KEF R100s - which are great little speakers - but I need a bit more scale, insight and separation in a 4.5 metre squared room. 

Has any body got any recommendations to add to an audition list. As I said, room is 4.5 x 4.5 metres and well-furnished. I listen mostly to classical, chamber, choral and acoustic music so booming bass is not required. A natural, airy and neutral tone is. I like to hear every instrument and voice in its own well-defined space but without harsh metallic highs. I've tried floorstanders but the room simply isn't big enough or suitable enough.

Initial thoughts are:

KEF LS50, Dali Opticon 2, B & W 606

Any other suggestions or views on the above are very welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Countryman said:

Any views at all?

Thanks

I think a lot depends on what sound you like but don’t rule out slim floor standing speakers. Speakers don’t boom unless poorly placed or room acoustics. I would consider something from Tannoy or Fyne audio

On 19/11/2019 at 03:37, Countryman said:

KEF LS50, Dali Opticon 2, B & W 606

Depending on the sort of music you are into, you might also consider adding the Harbeth P3ESR into the mix.

The LS50 is nice for its price. It’s got really good bass for its size. Highs and mids are ok. Not that metallic sounding at all. Soundstage just above average.

P3ESR has got great mids, no extended highs but the highs are sufficient, the bass is just ok. Consider a sub (REL T5i) to go with it, will really give you a different sort of experience even with sort of music you are into. A truly great speaker for vocals and instruments. This might really be up your alley. I sold my first set because I got better stand mount speakers but just bought another pair recently.

I’ve listened to Dali speakers, they are not as refined as the Harbeth but can push hard. B&W 606 is just okay. No real magic to it in my experience. But they are no slouch.

Happy Hunting!

With Audiolab I steer well clear of any bright speakers. As the OP has Kef R100, the R300 will definitely give him more scale, as would Dynaudio Emit M10 or M20. In his room size I wouldn't rule out compact floorstanders such as s/hand pair of Spendor A5.

I would, though, avoid speakers such as Monitor Audio or any speaker with hard domed tweeter, as they can exaggerate any brightness.