blueboy

Monitor Audio Gold 20 Speakers.

I have a pair of these for my Primare i30 amp & CD31 player. The speakers are very nice but I think sometimes the system lacks base. I am no audio phile & my 66 year old ears are no longer that sharp.

I am interested in suggestions for some new speakers that would up the base a little but not kill the tone that I can hear very clearly with my old ears. Please !! I am not a rich man (retired) so something with a sensible price, I dont mind second hand either as long as they have been looked after. 

One option to consider if you only want to affect he lowest frequencies would be to add a subwoofer. Buying one second hand at a price you can sell it on for little loss if you find it's not for you would be one way to explore this. 

Hi blueboy, you mean, MA GS20 ( New generation ) or MA Studio 20?

If you talking about MA Studio 20 I know very well, I can give you sure of the quality of these speakers, only you can find in second hand market, is not easy to find.

About MA GS20, are very expensive and to be frankly, I don’t know why, sorry for my honesty, I’m almost 60, I met Mo Iqbal 35 years ago, the MA founder, a great visionary, was made the one of the best speakers in UK. Since then MA change to much, like many others British audio manufacturers. Mo Iqbal left the company in 1999-2000 and since then MA change to much the philosophy, is normal, but for me MA and the majority of the other iconic British loudspeakers no longer attractive just for one reason, all came from the same place, so, sonically sounds exactly the same...

Just a few British loudspeakers are Made in UK, but you need to pay a high price.

I suggest a second hand market, you have a opportunity to find very good stuff, Spendor, B&W, Monitor Áudio, Infinity, Ruark, Proac ( I’m talking about of older models , 90’s ) etc, all are a amazing option for your hears and for you spend your retire days listening good music.

On eBay UK, Gumtree, Hi-Fi Shark and of course in Wigwam classifieds you have a plenty of opportunity to find good and rare audio stuff a good prices too.

Good luck for your search

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm selling my TDL Studio 2 I think they would be right up your alley. Metal dome tweeter like the MAs and 8" woofer loaded by a transmission line.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/137412-fs-tdl-studio-2-transmission-line-speakers/

FS: TDL Studio 2 transmission line speakers

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, blueboy said:

I have a pair of these for my Primare i30 amp & CD31 player. The speakers are very nice but I think sometimes the system lacks base. I am no audio phile & my 66 year old ears are no longer that sharp.

I am interested in suggestions for some new speakers that would up the base a little but not kill the tone that I can hear very clearly with my old ears. Please !! I am not a rich man (retired) so something with a sensible price, I dont mind second hand either as long as they have been looked after. 

Do you mean MA GS20?

Rather than splashing out on different speakers, try experimenting with different positions. Sometimes moving speakers an inch or so nearer the wall can make the difference. 

• Like 2

Try adding a subwoofer, or switch to Harbeth or LS3/5a type speakers

MA Gold are quite bright /light

I think these are the older generation MA20's, I have had them for about 12 years & they were second hand when I bought them. They are still immaculate other than when the speaker covers come off the oak wood slightly lighter.

They have to be where they are, not quite in corners of the room. 

Seem to remember reading a review about Primare amps working well with ProAc speakers. Whether they'll give you a bigger bang for your buck over the MAs is another question altogether.

I did demo Primare i21 many moons ago with my MA RS6s and they sounded fine. And I'm pretty sure someone from another forum used their Primare 30.1 with PMC 'i' range. 

What is your maximum budget? Are the MA 20s standmounts or floorstander?

On 21/11/2019 at 23:12, blueboy said:

Hi,

I bought the studio 20se in 1995 and kept them for 20 years. As you say, bass only really came alive with plenty of juice. I mass loaded mine - small panel on rear - with 12kgs of kiln dried sand.

FWIIW, my auditioning for a replacement came down to the DALIs and Spendor D7s. I marginally preferred the tweeter(s) of the former, but the D7s would certainly retain the quality of the Studio 20's but with better bass, IMHO. Now that a mark 2 has been launched, the D7s might come down in price

NB: I also have 66 year old ears!

Edited by nomore landings

On 22/11/2019 at 17:25, blueboy said:

They have to be where they are, not quite in corners of the room. 

Though this may be the case, it would be informative to experiment a bit with different positions purely to see what different it makes. I say this because if the issue you've noticed is primarily due to placement then buying different speakers to go in the current position might not make much difference. 

Changing your listening position forwards and backwards will change the bass performance as well if this is more of an option?

Edited by MartinC

Super Wammer
On 22/11/2019 at 14:45, Bigwig07 said:

Try adding a subwoofer, or switch to Harbeth or LS3/5a type speakers

MA Gold are quite bright /light

the subwoofer option might also be just as relevent with LS35A type speakers too .. avoid LS35As though if you like to play your music loud