Over ear cans for under a ton?

Evenin' all.

I've got a pair of AKG 550 MKii that I like a lot as they do many things rather well but I'd like something 'more'.

I only want over ear/circumaural (not on ear) design and no need for bluetooth etc, just good old fashioned cabled variety.

I only use a couple of headphone amps, the main is a Fiio EK09 and Fiio E17 amp/DAC combo or just the EK09 amp fed from either a CA 840C DAC or my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 mixer.

I don't mind open or closed back but crave detail and soundstage, if they have a good overall frequency response without flabbiness or are shrill that's great but if they can do all of the three then I'm happy. (I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X that I'm going to sell as I can't get on with them.)

My budget is £100 tops and I don't mind 2nd hand, I do have a small head and most phones slip down my skull so huge noggin' style won't be a good start. 

Cheers! 

I have a nice pair of Senn HD238, on ear rather than over ear but extremely good for their size and cost.

• Upvote 1

I use Sennheiser HD 280 on my phone / tablet with a Fiio amp.

Sounds good and I reckon they're down to £70 something now.

Back in the day nearer £200.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, g8ina said:

I have a nice pair of Senn HD238, on ear rather than over ear but extremely good for their size and cost.

Thanks for the offer but I'm looking for over ear.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used ...

Beyer DT 250, need a bit of bass boost imo.   A perfect match for a CD Walkman with bass enhancement facility - that's how I use mine.

PSB M4U, ear cups are a smidgeon too narrow, but easily and cheaply replaced to good effect.  My fave cans atm, regardless of cost.

• Upvote 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.