Cambridge Audio

orbscure

While I'm here, just wondering if anybody uses USB Audio with their Cambridge streamer, and if so how do you find it sound quality wise?

I'm just using a cheapo cable at the moment, and it sounds pretty good with Audirvana -  I can get up to 192k. I'm guessing using USB is on a par with streaming wifi, to my ears I don't think I can really tell much difference, although I guess a more expensive cable may make a difference?

Can't get it to play full sample rate with Roon - maxes out at 44.1k. Not sure why this should be because I'm playing back the same Qobuz songs on both Audirvana and Roon, but can only get the max sample rate via Audirvana.

Any input gratefully received.

• 2 months later...

Just perusing their website to compare the CXN and Azur 851 streamers , it looks to me that the latter and it's matching amps are due a face lift , the Azur range lower down has disappeared and the 851s look a bit dated .

3 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Just perusing their website to compare the CXN and Azur 851 streamers , it looks to me that the latter and it's matching amps are due a face lift , the Azur range lower down has disappeared and the 851s look a bit dated .

They are Baz.. been on the cards for a while.. I expect the replacement to be around £1800-£2000

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

I expect the replacement to be around £1800-£2000

Yes , the 851 is too close to the CXN in price which also says upgrade to me , of course all upgrades require a price hike ;)

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Yes , the 851 is too close to the CXN in price which also says upgrade to me , of course all upgrades require a price hike ;)

Having had both, I was happy with the CXN but hearing the 851, no brainer to upgrade. I’m sure the ‘Edge’ technology will trickle down to the replacement 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Having had both, I was happy with the CXN but hearing the 851, no brainer to upgrade. I’m sure the ‘Edge’ technology will trickle down to the replacement 

Having also had both. Big step up. 

Still waiting on my Tidal app firmware upgrade though... Come on Cambridge.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm using my CXN V1 as a streamer only, using my laptop via USB through the CXN then out through coaxial to a Chord Mojo. It appears that I am only getting the 48khz PCM which is confirmed by the Mojo indications.

Bit of a Noddy question, but as I'm staying digital through the CXN, should I be getting the  higher sampling rates from the laptop into the Mojo? Is the CXN a bottleneck in any way?

1 minute ago, myles said:

Hi all,

I'm using my CXN V1 as a streamer only, using my laptop via USB through the CXN then out through coaxial to a Chord Mojo. It appears that I am only getting the 48khz PCM which is confirmed by the Mojo indications.

Bit of a Noddy question, but as I'm staying digital through the CXN, should I be getting the  higher sampling rates from the laptop into the Mojo? Is the CXN a bottleneck in any way?

Hi Myles, have you checked the settings in the laptop? Often they have a default setting in the audio. 

Just now, radiant red said:

Hi Myles, have you checked the settings in the laptop? Often they have a default setting in the audio. 

I fear we have had a very similar conversation about this in the past. I downloaded the driver previously and when I was setting up the Mojo I had to make some changes to the laptop settings for that - I'll check those same settings for this implementation. 

13 minutes ago, myles said:

I fear we have had a very similar conversation about this in the past. I downloaded the driver previously and when I was setting up the Mojo I had to make some changes to the laptop settings for that - I'll check those same settings for this implementation. 

The driver in my PC is limited to 96kHz, I could upgrade but don’t use it for audio. There is obviously something in the chain limiting the output as the CXN should auto read 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, radiant red said:

The driver in my PC is limited to 96kHz, I could upgrade but don’t use it for audio. There is obviously something in the chain limiting the output as the CXN should auto read 

In theory it should just be a pass through which does single out the laptop. I'll do some digging.

• 4 weeks later...

After all the positives in here on the 851N I snapped up a minty silver one for £800 , matches my silver Yamaha amp nicely . Took out another trial of Tidal and updated the 851 to Tidal Connect so I can stream direct from my laptop , one small issue album art never displays until the second track starts for some reason , no problem with Spotify .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bazzer said:

After all the positives in here on the 851N I snapped up a minty silver one for £800 , matches my silver Yamaha amp nicely . Took out another trial of Tidal and updated the 851 to Tidal Connect so I can stream direct from my laptop , one small issue album art never displays until the second track starts for some reason , no problem with Spotify .

Nothing like a good display and the 851 has a good one 👍🏻

0F1C4EB8-7E56-4607-B30E-053DB4E5283D.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazzer said:

A strong purchase and a good price. Sounds a bargain! Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 11:11, Bazzer said:

How are you getting on with the 851 Baz? Have you tried balanced inputs vs phono? 

Edited by radiant red