Cambridge Audio

orbscure

On 12/07/2021 at 08:00, Bigwig07 said:

Ps Bluetooth on the 851n is poor, and there is no Chromecast, but you can use Tidal Spotify Connect or Airplay I think. Or a direct network usb ?

As an alternative for wireless streaming try a Bluesound node 2i, Raspberry Pi, or Chromecast Audio dongle into a good DAC (eg Chord 2Qute/Qutest) 

By way of update, I'm just trying an 851n again

Using a wireless network connection and Tidal Connect - it is excellent :)

• Like 3

Super Wammer
36 minutes ago, Bigwig07 said:

By way of update, I'm just trying an 851n again

Using a wireless network connection and Tidal Connect - it is excellent :)

Yes it is isn’t it 😊 there is nothing that is remotely close to the 851’s ability. Qobuz is also direct as Tidal. 
Yes, it’s taken a 2.2k DAC to improve the sound for me but if it was taken away, I’d be more than happy with the 851’s sound. 
The user interface is also excellent and has many digital inputs to use as a hub too. 
I have no interest in parting with mine and it would take something really special and expensive to better it. 
The New model is around the corner but don’t expect it to be sub 2k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Yes it is isn’t it 😊 there is nothing that is remotely close to the 851’s ability. Qobuz is also direct as Tidal. 
Yes, it’s taken a 2.2k DAC to improve the sound for me but if it was taken away, I’d be more than happy with the 851’s sound. 
The user interface is also excellent and has many digital inputs to use as a hub too. 
I have no interest in parting with mine and it would take something really special and expensive to better it. 
The New model is around the corner but don’t expect it to be sub 2k

Hey RR what's the rumours on the new model ?

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Bigwig07 said:

Hey RR what's the rumours on the new model ?

Like everything, it’s on hold due to covid etc. The entire Azure range. Personally I suspect sound quality to be similar but updated visuals and interface etc. maybe similar to the Edge styling.. not sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Like everything, it’s on hold due to covid etc. The entire Azure range. Personally I suspect sound quality to be similar but updated visuals and interface etc. maybe similar to the Edge styling.. not sure. 

To be expected I suppose, as the Azur range is getting on a bit. It could be nice new kit but the prices for Cambridge Audio seem to be heading skywards (ie the Edge), and I expect they will only do it in gone off grey.

Interesting how you rate the DAC in the 851n - I think it is very clear, meaty and rhythmic. I prefer it to my previous DAC (Chord 2Qute) but have yet to compare it with the DAC in my Marantz SA14S1SE which i think will be a more comfortable sound. I'm also attracted to the Denafrips bandwagon.

• 5 weeks later...

The 851N is £1399 at Richer Sounds , has it gone up ?

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Bazzer said:

The 851N is £1399 at Richer Sounds , has it gone up ?

That’s the official normal price Baz

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very interested in the Edge NQ to use as a preamp for my active speakers. I would also want the option to incorporate a subwoofer in future. Has any Edge NQ owner used it with a sub?

I'm hoping that the RCA and XLR outputs can be used at the same time so that one set feeds the front active speakers and the other feeds the sub. I'm wary of phasing issues though, so perhaps it would be better to route everything through the sub and take a high pass signal from that to the front actives? 

My active speakers are Dynaudio, with RCA analogue inputs in its Connect box.

Super Wammer

Oops, apologies, typed a reply to the above and then realised I'd not RTFM properly! I don't see any reason why both outputs shouldn't work simultaneously. Does your sub not have built-in adjustments for phase, so you could align with the main speakers?

Edited by Jules_S
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

Oops, apologies, typed a reply to the above and then realised I'd not RTFM properly! I don't see any reason why both outputs shouldn't work simultaneously. Does your sub not have built-in adjustments for phase, so you could align with the main speakers?

Thanks Jules! From what you and others have said it does appear that both outputs are live simultaneously, which is great. You can either have both on a variable preamp signal or fixed line level (i.e. you can't have each one on a different output level). I haven't actually bought a sub yet but when I do I will make sure it has phase adjustment.

Have you used the headphone output? This is another thing to consider as I use headphones a lot. I've read a couple of reviews that say the output quality is average. If that's the case I would probably dedicate one output to an external headphone amp and the other to a sub looped through to the main speakers. I wish more preamps had a digital output, or separate fixed line output for more flexibility, such as with external headphone amps, but they don't.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, TonyB100 said:

Thanks Jules! From what you and others have said it does appear that both outputs are live simultaneously, which is great. You can either have both on a variable preamp signal or fixed line level (i.e. you can't have each one on a different output level). I haven't actually bought a sub yet but when I do I will make sure it has phase adjustment.

Have you used the headphone output? This is another thing to consider as I use headphones a lot. I've read a couple of reviews that say the output quality is average. If that's the case I would probably dedicate one output to an external headphone amp and the other to a sub looped through to the main speakers. I wish more preamps had a digital output, or separate fixed line output for more flexibility, such as with external headphone amps, but they don't.

I don't have an Edge NQ so can't comment on the headphone output I'm afraid. I heard @bigrod's NQ at a bake-off earlier this year and thought it was a very good bit of kit.

Some headphone amps, such as the Box Designs (Project) Head Box DS2B and RS, the Graham Slee Novo etc have an RCA out or pass-through, so you could connect it to one of the NQ's output sets, then take the output from that into either your speakers or sub (perhaps the latter might be preferable?)

• Like 1

I have a query, Cambridge owners.

My brother in law bought a used Cambridge Audio A1 (mk 2) integrated amp for my nephew.  He paid about £40 from ebay.  At the moment my nephew's only got a handful of LPs and a turntable/speakers and doesn't use CDs/stream (though I've offered him my old Sonos gear which is not in use).

Anyway the amp didn't work and they had the lid off looking for loose connections etc, still nothing.  I told my nephew to bring it to mine where we found out it does work but only for the other sources (CD, streamer), and not the phono source.  Looks like the phono stage might be busted, me thinks.  

I phoned up a local dealer to ask about the price of fixing it and he says it may never have had a phono stage at all (in which case looks like my brother in law wasted his money).  Is there anything outside the box to tell whether it has a phono stage inside (though if it does, it's not working).  Or how can you tell from looking at the inside?  There's no box or instructions.

What are people's views on whether the amp is good enough to justify an external phono stage (eg used Rega Fono, or cheap Pro-ject, which I'd have to buy for (say) £85 for Xmas), or should we just flog it and buy a better amp with the money that would've gone on a phono stage?  Nephew is only 15 so doesn't need a Krell, that said he deserves something vaguely decent.

Edited by Valley Dweller

Super Wammer

The A1 was available with or without a phono stage - without one fitted the input works like any other line-level input, hence it's marked as AUX/PHONO, it could be either. I don't think there's any way externally to tell the difference.

If your nephew's amp has the phono board fitted then it should be over towards the rear right of the casework I think. If it's not there, you'll see the space on the board where it can be fitted, with the connecting pins sticking up, and it will actually be printed on the board to indicate that it's where the module should fit. I've cribbed this photo from online - it's of a Mk3 but I'm pretty certain the Mk2 is similar:

image.thumb.png.e4dcecf41d7e42fb2529063a2ad18043.png

This is from a YouTube video (don't bother watching it, it's rubbish) but appears to show what it looks like with the board fitted. I don't know which version of the amp it is:

image.png.56c6f8c3d340334757deff5044161680.png

If it's there, you could always try removing and re-seating it in case it's worked loose. If not, you might be able to source one second hand, or as you say, try an external phono stage. I would think it's worth a few quid for one, but I wouldn't spend a huge amount. 

Edited by Jules_S
Added photos
  • Like 1

That's really helpful Jules, thanks very much- now at least I know  what I'm looking for!

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt I'm doing something silly, but when I try to launch Roon Ready on Streammagic on my iPad  it doesn't directly launch the Roon app straight away. Instead it diverts to Apple's App Store and asks me to open the Roon app (which is already installed)from there. It might only take a second to do this every time I want to use Roon but it's annoying, anybody got any ideas on how to fix?

FWIW, this is not a problem on my android phone, Streammagic launches Roon directly.

Thanks.