Compact noise-cancelling 'phones or in-ears + lossless source for train travel

Sennheiser Momentum noise cancelling over ear wireless for me. Used to have Bose quietcomfort noise cancelling but the cancellation was very oppressive. The sennheiser cancellation is not so good, but is more than compensated for by the superb sound quality. The construction is beautiful too. Stainless steel and Leather. I did not want the latest version with Alexa etc so went for the first generation momentum model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian for the nudge to update this thread. I've been enjoying my Sony WH-1000XM3 more often, usually in the London office rather than on the train. I still don't enjoy the sweatiness of closed backs but the satisfaction of putting these on, pressing the power button, hearing her (who is she?) voice saying "Power On", and then an eerie silence is addictive. Despite having recently won WHF's headphone of the year (or similar), they're not real hifi 'phones IMHO. But they perform their role admirably and I'd most definitely recommend their being on anyone's audition list if you're in the market for noise-cancelling ear jewellery.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Senn PXC 480s?

They seem to tick a lot of boxes for travel, I knows they're over ear and wired but my old 280s are so comfortable on long flights.

• 5 months later...
On 23/01/2020 at 05:33, brian.davidson.5817 said:

Sennheiser Momentum noise cancelling over ear wireless for me. Used to have Bose quietcomfort noise cancelling but the cancellation was very oppressive. The sennheiser cancellation is not so good, but is more than compensated for by the superb sound quality. The construction is beautiful too. Stainless steel and Leather. I did not want the latest version with Alexa etc so went for the first generation momentum model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the mention, i ended up with the Momentums and they are amazing. The NC is quite power hungry but i'm rarely far from a charger.

Still comfortable after a ten hour day driving.

8 minutes ago, timmytiger said:

Thanks for the mention, i ended up with the Momentums and they are amazing. The NC is quite power hungry but i'm rarely far from a charger.

Still comfortable after a ten hour day driving.

Are these safe for driving?

On 04/08/2020 at 11:40, StingRay said:

Are these safe for driving?

Off road, usually in a Caterpillar at this time of year. I think illegal to use them on a public road?

i find them really comfortable, might be that the springing is not too tight.

I never found in ears comfortable.

17 minutes ago, timmytiger said:

Off road, usually in a Caterpillar at this time of year. I think illegal to use them on a public road?

i find them really comfortable, might be that the springing is not too tight.

I never found in ears comfortable.

OK thanks, I see. I had the Momentums, over ears, did not find them comfortable, I wonder if the noise cancelling ones are different. 

For travel, I'm considering the Sony ones, maybe good on flights?

Edited by StingRay
  • 2 months later...
On 23/01/2020 at 21:38, TheFlash said:

Thanks Brian for the nudge to update this thread. I've been enjoying my Sony WH-1000XM3 more often, usually in the London office rather than on the train. I still don't enjoy the sweatiness of closed backs but the satisfaction of putting these on, pressing the power button, hearing her (who is she?) voice saying "Power On", and then an eerie silence is addictive. Despite having recently won WHF's headphone of the year (or similar), they're not real hifi 'phones IMHO. But they perform their role admirably and I'd most definitely recommend their being on anyone's audition list if you're in the market for noise-cancelling ear jewellery.

I have the WH-1000 XM2. I use them on trains, planes, when I'm hoovering, when I'm cooking, learning a language and when I'm gardening. I can't fault them except my wife sometimes get's irritated when I can't hear her and it's easier to burn food on the hob!  Great earphones

• Like 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.