Shure SE425 Lack of Bass

Guest Rob

Hi, I have a pair of Shure SE425’s with Snugs custom tips and am really disappointed with the lack of bass. Wondering whether the 535’s would worth the upgrade, also the AKG N40’s are available at a decent price now too.
I stream Tidal through a Dragonfly Red from my iPhone...Any suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated, don’t really have a budget in mind but don’t want to go mad either!

Ooops...Didn’t sign in before posting!

Hi, I have a pair of Shure SE425’s with Snugs custom tips and am really disappointed with the lack of bass. Wondering whether the 535’s would worth the upgrade, also the AKG N40’s are available at a decent price now too.
I stream Tidal through a Dragonfly Red from my iPhone...Any suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated, don’t really have a budget in mind but don’t want to go mad either!

The 425's are fantastic on detail but never were, as per the Shure website, great on bass. Can't you EQ the problem out? Even the 215's have more bass but aren't as accurate, I've not heard any of their other IEM's. A tight fit is essential to maximize bass output though, and I had a steep learning curve on how to get the right fit.

Edited by paulkebab
  • 1 year later...

I had 425s then 535s, now 846s.    The 535s are deffo a step up in bass weight and extension IME.  846s ramp that up further, whilst filling out the mids, and giving space for the high notes.  846s with a FiiO dac/amp still impress me with their clout, 5 years later.

With all Shure IEMs, even with custom tips, it is essential to create a good airtight seal for the best bass transients.  Otherwise it literally leaks out, leaving a thin sound.

Also think about your headphones amp - particularly if it can offer some Low end EQ.   They are relatively cheap and of good quality these days.   I have a couple of Fiios and a Shanling.   

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.