Nearly bewildered

Whisky woes

I quite like a malt.so I lurk about the supermarket looking to see what's reduced..mostly I get a good one..and drink it..but recently I got a couple of duffers..my problem is what do I do with these opened bottles? If I were a alcoholic it wouldn't matter I would just neck it.but I'm not..I like to enjoy my whisky and not feel I have to drink it because I bought it..problem is this will probably happen in the future! ( most minatures I have tried already)  so this is my woe..three bottles now ( a Ben bracken islay..rubbish)  should I give up..and drink beer? Lol

Normally any whisky I'm not to fond of drinking neat I mix with Stones ginger wine  to make a Whisky MaC a favourite winter warmer of mine.

Other wise one of my favourite whiskies Ardbeg 10 year old which is a bit of a acquired taste being about as smoky peaty as they come makes a excellent Whisky Mac. 

1 hour ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I quite like a malt.so I lurk about the supermarket looking to see what's reduced..mostly I get a good one..and drink it..but recently I got a couple of duffers..my problem is what do I do with these opened bottles? If I were a alcoholic it wouldn't matter I would just neck it.but I'm not..I like to enjoy my whisky and not feel I have to drink it because I bought it..problem is this will probably happen in the future! ( most minatures I have tried already)  so this is my woe..three bottles now ( a Ben bracken islay..rubbish)  should I give up..and drink beer? Lol

Stick it in some diet Coke!!

Give the opened bottles to friends. Or just buy miniatures to try them first before risking a whole bottle purchase. I’ve been buying 3cl bottles to try first lately. Bought Nikka Pure Malt red and black versions, didn’t like the black much but ordered a bottle of red now.

24 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Stick it in some diet Coke!!

Anyone tried hudson baby bourbon? It was reduced in sainsburys so I bought one..wish I bought all four bottles.. It's made entirely from corn..50% I think? Bit of a acquired taste? After first sip I acquired it lol..utterly fab

1 hour ago, Nagraboy said:

Give the opened bottles to friends. Or just buy miniatures to try them first before risking a whole bottle purchase. I’ve been buying 3cl bottles to try first lately. Bought Nikka Pure Malt red and black versions, didn’t like the black much but ordered a bottle of red now.

Nikka from the barrel is exceptional whisky..Nikka blended whisky is also very good..I like yamazaki whisky too..I thought Nikka blended was pretty close to yamazaki..I don't know how the Japanese make such fine whisky..ps I tried a Taiwanese whisky..wow!  

1 hour ago, JamieMcC said:

Normally any whisky I'm not to fond of drinking neat I mix with Stones ginger wine  to make a Whisky MaC a favourite winter warmer of mine.

Other wise one of my favourite whiskies Ardbeg 10 year old which is a bit of a acquired taste being about as smoky peaty as they come makes a excellent Whisky Mac. 

I would drink smoky peaty whisky all the time given the choice..haven't tried Ardbeg.. Think I'll try and persuade someone to get me a bottle for Christmas.. 

34 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Nikka from the barrel is exceptional whisky..Nikka blended whisky is also very good..I like yamazaki whisky too..I thought Nikka blended was pretty close to yamazaki..I don't know how the Japanese make such fine whisky..ps I tried a Taiwanese whisky..wow!  

Some of Nikka’s output is imported from Scotland from a distillery they own there, and then bottled in Japan. They tend to use Scottish whisky production methods in Japan. I tried a Yamazaki once, was excellent stuff.

My favourite tipple is Whisky and ginger ale/dry , I've tried several malts and the most palatable for me is Glenmorangie , I have just bought a bottle of Cardhu Gold Reserve which is currently £25 down from £42 at Tesco . 

4 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

My favourite tipple is Whisky and ginger ale/dry , I've tried several malts and the most palatable for me is Glenmorangie , I have just bought a bottle of Cardhu Gold Reserve which is currently £25 down from £42 at Tesco . 

Nice? I have seen that whisky on the shelf..just got a bottle of Johnny walker black label £22.50 sainsburys 

4 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Nice? 

I haven't tried it yet but I've had the regular Cardhu and that was nice so thought I'd try this one .

7 hours ago, Bazzer said:

I haven't tried it yet but I've had the regular Cardhu and that was nice so thought I'd try this one .

What's your go to whisky? The one that never disappoints..single malts can vary a bit..my dad's is J&B mine might be jw black label.im guessing being blended it's doesn't change as much?

1 hour ago, Nearly bewildered said:

What's your go to whisky? The one that never disappoints..single malts can vary a bit..my dad's is J&B mine might be jw black label.im guessing being blended it's doesn't change as much?

Well I mix the blended ones with ginger but of those there is only one I would drink neat and it's Aldi's 8 yr old Highland Black about £12 .

• Upvote 1

Tried the Glenfiddich 12yo last night. Might add a bottle to the small collection.