bigrod

Most distinctive female voices

Please don't take offence, I'm not having a dig. However, one name I've seen a few times on this thread features in the following track. I'd be interested to see how many could name the female backing singer without knowing previously, or resorting to Google for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiAYzamLCM

Edited by Sam Vimes
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sam Vimes said:

Please don't take offence, I'm not having a dig. However, one name I've seen a few times on this thread features in the following track. I'd be interested to see how many could name the female backing singer without knowing previously, or resorting to Google for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiAYzamLCM

Would you be referring to the wonderful Beth Rowley ?

Im a big fan of hers Crowded house and all things Finn brothers and sons.

55 minutes ago, Bignose5 said:

Would you be referring to the wonderful Beth Rowley ?

Im a big fan of hers Crowded house and all things Finn brothers and sons.

I certainly would be, but I'm guessing that you would already know who it was without having to rely on just recognizing her voice.

1 hour ago, Sam Vimes said:

I certainly would be, but I'm guessing that you would already know who it was without having to rely on just recognizing her voice.

I can't say for sure if I knew it was her before hearing her voice of not.

Its been a long time.

I just knew it was her vocals on that album.

Not sure if she was at Peter Gabriel's studio when her vocals were recorded ?

Edited by Bignose5

Skye Edwards of Morcheeba who’s Big Calm album is to my mind an all time classic. 

• Like 2

Ella Fitzgerald 

Aretha Franklin 

Beth Hart

Esperanza Spalding 

Norah Jones

Skin

Hayley Williams

Edited by insider9

Super Wammer

Hilda Ogden. 

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Well in no paticular order just because I adore listening to them

Cassandra Wilson

Aretha Franklin

Talitha Mackenzie

Grace Jones

Ofra Haza

Oumoo Sangare

Mavis Staples

I would add three voices at once which I heard on this years Jools Holland New Year show - Joseph - Three sisters with very distinct voices and really killer harmonies.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bencat said:

I would add three voices at once which I heard on this years Jools Holland New Year show - Joseph - Three sisters with very distinct voices and really killer harmonies.

I missed The Hootenany this year, but I quite like the album, Good Luck, Kid.

folder.jpg

Edited by Sam Vimes
"ed"

20 minutes ago, bencat said:

Cassandra Wilson

Aretha Franklin

Talitha Mackenzie

Grace Jones

Ofra Haza

Oumoo Sangare

Mavis Staples

Completely agree with your choices, but I have to say that Joseph left me a bit undecided on Jools. Some good bits, but they seemed a bit edgy at times. They're not the Webb Sisters by a long chalk.

36 minutes ago, bencat said:

Cassandra Wilson

Aretha Franklin

Talitha Mackenzie

Grace Jones

Ofra Haza

Oumoo Sangare

Mavis Staples

Agree about Grace having a distinctive voice... but she couldn't sing could she :D

Super Wammer
On 02/01/2020 at 16:40, DougK said:

Agree about Grace having a distinctive voice... but she couldn't sing could she :D

Go and see the lady live , I have and she was brilliant and different all three times . Singing is not a science it is an art and all of us can do it if we try . Some are just limited in range , but like that old saying its not how wide your range is , its what you do with it that counts.

The voice is a very personal instrument and we all of  listen and decide if we like the sound or not. if we do not like it it does not mean they can not sing just that you ersonally do not like it. I love Tom Waits , Captain Beafheart for wht they do but lots of people find them too outre to listen to . Millions love Bruce Springsteen but I just want to turn him off . This is what makes music wonderful and why arguing over equipment is silly . If we can not agree on what we like to hear then we have no chance on agreeing to how and through what we listen to . If it suits your music and your ears then use it and enjoy .

• Upvote 1

On 02/01/2020 at 16:15, Sam Vimes said:

I missed The Hootenany this year, but I quite like the album, Good Luck, Kid.

folder.jpg

Talking about Hootenany this year and female voices, did anyone hear Melanie sing?  My god it was appalling, who ever decided to get her on the show needs shooting.

10 minutes ago, DIB said:

Talking about Hootenany this year and female voices, did anyone hear Melanie sing?  My god it was appalling, who ever decided to get her on the show needs shooting.

As a fan of her early work, her appearance on Hootenanny certainly brought a smile to my face. Considering she has been writing and singing since the early 60’s, I’d be proud if I had the guts and charisma to still perform at 72 years old. 

8 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

As a fan of her early work, her appearance on Hootenanny certainly brought a smile to my face. Considering she has been writing and singing since the early 60’s, I’d be proud if I had the guts and charisma to still perform at 72 years old. 

We all thought the same here. No, she wasn't 'good', but she was still entertaining and everyone seemed to love it. Lest we forget, this is someone who is still alive and performed at Woodstock FFS. There aren't many in that category, though to be fair, there are a few who are, and sound better...

• Upvote 1