zee9

Linn Ninka - My first impressions and experiments in 2019

I wouldn't bother with the Frankenstein set up all to long. According to the (Linn) filosofie al the inactive speakers interfere with the active ones. I never tested this myself though, but I think it makes sense.
Also, which set do you want to keep at the ideal position? They can't be at the same ideal position all at once.
Another thing to maybe think about is that a regular subwoofer mostly works form 80Hz and downwards. Your aktiv Ninka will work from a higher frequency and downward.
I would just choose a pair and drive them aktiv with the Akurate amps. And after SO and position them at the best, I would look for a "real" sub. If it is still needed, which can be integrated in SOv2 the Ninkas would have my vote based on looks.
Thumbs up on the experiments though.

The kabers are in their ideal
Position. The ninkas are about 4” to the outer sides of the kabers and about 4-5” behind. When the ninkas are on it’s just the woofers so this situation allows me to hear the kabers for music and switch in the ninkas just for movies. It’s not like an overload of bass but feels like a small amount of added bass when switched on. I am on the lookout for a sealed box subwoofer. A friend suggested an older velodyne spl800i.

2 hours ago, zee9 said:

The kabers are in their ideal
Position. The ninkas are about 4” to the outer sides of the kabers and about 4-5” behind. When the ninkas are on it’s just the woofers so this situation allows me to hear the kabers for music and switch in the ninkas just for movies. It’s not like an overload of bass but feels like a small amount of added bass when switched on. I am on the lookout for a sealed box subwoofer. A friend suggested an older velodyne spl800i.

I have a Mirage 1050I I could let you have for free, review below, its quite musical. Problem is shipping costs are probably not worth it, not a light weight.

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue60/Mirage.html

I have a Mirage 1050I I could let you have for free, review below, its quite musical. Problem is shipping costs are probably not worth it, not a light weight.
http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue60/Mirage.html

That’s so kind. Where are you located. A friend of mine suggested a velodyne spl800i as that’s a sealed box subwoofer. Not too big (8” woofer) as I’m not looking for nightclub kinda bass. I think I found a seller about 100 miles away for $200.

Here’s a link to the sub but I don’t know jack about subs.

https://velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/spl/SPL-RSeriesManual.pdf

Im not big on subs either now but i know what i liked in my day. Toronto Canada area is where i live. The 150 has two 8 inches i believe but it's tight and is very adjustable input wise. It's big brother the bps-400 is available on canuckaudiomart in Calgary but local pickup only, that sub is top shelf which i would have given my left testicle for in its day, lol. In today's dollars its a $3-5k sub and the 150 a $2-3k sub. My sub has top damage as I used it as a tv stand (long story). Go local if you can for sure.

Edited by Craigas

This summer I sold my Akurate 226, as I wasn't satisfied with the impact it had over the Akudorik. Then I recently bought a Rel T7i and it delivers a stunning performance!

• Upvote 1

Just an update to close this topic up. I’ve managed to find the ninkas ideal position to about 85% while having the kabers at an ideal position.

The use of the ninka subs plus the kabers was satisfying but not for longer periods so the ninka is now running bi-Aktive with the c5100 and the kabers tri-Aktive with the akurate amps.

The c5100 is daisy chained to the last akurate amp and now we just flip power switches.

Ninkas for TV & Movies
Kabers for stereo sound.

The Ninkas with polymer bases, the chakra aktive cards and the c5100 are available for sale on audioMart sites collectively for $2400 or separately for a little more. If they sell great, if not the switching helps me against the upgradetites. (Well let’s see how long this lasts)

My wife did suggest that the Ninkas come rather close to sounding good with the akurate amps. I wish I had another set of bass cards to evaluate them tri-Aktive with akurate amplification but I don’t wanna spend extra money on this experiment anymore.

They sound so much better when they are playing half of Arab Strap :))

My English is not that bad but I didn’t get what you meant with Arab strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, zee9 said:

My English is not that bad but I didn’t get what you meant with Arab strap?

He was presumably referring to Aidan Moffat or Malcolm Middleton. Though I have to say I prefer the whole of Arab Strap than either of the two individually.

I guess it could be a reference to one side of the Belle and Sebastian album, though both sides are pretty good in my opinion!

Alternatively I could be equally in the dark!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 04:30, zee9 said:

So please disregard all my comments and I’m gonna he to redo my experiences with single passive and bi-amp but with the present sound I think I need to find another set of bass cards to see what these ninkas can bring tri-Aktive

So I've just spent an hour reading all this from the beginning and now you tell me to disregard it all!

• Haha 2

So I've just spent an hour reading all this from the beginning and now you tell me to disregard it all!

Hi Mike. Which post are you referring to? I couldn’t find what you quoted.

8 hours ago, zee9 said:

Hi Mike. Which post are you referring to? I couldn’t find what you quoted.

It was this page Zee: 

Where you realised you had a phase problem with the wiring to your woofer on the Ninka.

Edited by SnapperMike