Sir_Franc

Your favourite two photos of 2019

As per title, post your favourite two shots that you've taken in 2019 and the reason why they appeal to you if you want.

My two are this recent shot of Newhaven Harbour. I like the simplicity of it and the harbour wall guides the eye in to the scene and how the Seven Sisters balance the shot. It also came out exactly as I hoped it would when I took it!

49159543396_d2785c7a6a_b.jpgNewhaven Harbour, East Sussex. by Rick Francis, on Flickr

My second shot was taken at Covent Garden. I just like looking at all the different people and stories that they suggest to me. Some interested in the entertainment going on, some chatting, some bored and even the dog waiting patiently with it's owner, probably wanting to move on!

48103086208_9f7ffcbd3b_b.jpgThe day out. by Rick Francis, on Flickr

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sir_Franc said:

They're both good shots, but the top one is really good Steven. 

Thanks. My wife is slightly obsessed with monks and I have a quite a few nice monk pictures. The second one above is one of those ones where you experience something really magical that is difficult or impossible to capture in an image. A guy playing a trumpet is easier. It was also a fantastic gig at the Church of sound in Stoke Newington. 4 tickets for my son and some friends cost me £20 and then £100 on food and drink, but all nice and freshly cooked.

So, if permitted, follows my wife's entry as the first one I was looking in the other direction until she tapped me on the shoulder. The other one is the opposite of the above, just a guy sitting on the floor doing his thing, but makes a nice portrait, again demanded by the wife. 

3 of the 4 are taken with the same Leica 50/f1.4 ASPH that I use most of the time and feel very lucky to have.  

46395087685_86aaec0fe0_h.jpg

32368192747_75f28ede2f_h.jpg

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, ssfas said:

just a guy sitting on the floor doing his thing,

Great photo even better on Flickr if that is possible , maybe the black surround sets it off .

39 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Great photo even better on Flickr if that is possible , maybe the black surround sets it off .

There's always an element of luck. I shot this at f/1.7 to get most of his face in focus, f/1.4 is often too shallow, and the lucky bit was his little prayer wheel being in plane. To be honest, it's such a good lens you must be a really bad photographer to take a poor image, which I do quite often. Even the original Leica 50 f/1.4 from 1960 is better than what most other brands make now. My greatest photographic achievement of 2019 was finding an unused black body Leica M6 0.72 TTL for my son as a graduation gift. Lucky boy.

Mainly because I love these 2 places - and they evoke many great memories of trips to them over the last 30 years:

Kowloon Star Ferry Terminal:

47615154962_5dcce13d8e_b.jpgAfter the storm by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Anywhere in the Lakes I suppose, but this one for this particular occasion:

48836240627_3c38feae83_b.jpgQuiet by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Both on Fuji: Top - X100F bottom - X-H1/XF56

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Sir_Franc said:

The ferry terminal looks like a shot from a film

Now you mention it Rick , should have a big play arrow in the middle so we can watch it xD

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Gromit said:

Mainly because I love these 2 places - and they evoke many great memories of trips to them over the last 30 years:

Kowloon Star Ferry Terminal:

47615154962_5dcce13d8e_b.jpgAfter the storm by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Anywhere in the Lakes I suppose, but this one for this particular occasion:

48836240627_3c38feae83_b.jpgQuiet by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Both on Fuji: Top - X100F bottom - X-H1/XF56

For your amusement, I've put on the Flickr thread some unedited scans from Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Macau from 1984. You may recognise some of the HK buildings going up, GZ and Macau seem to have been completely rebuilt. 

IMG-20180825-154251.jpgIMG-20190606-113820.jpg

First is a beach, the name of which I can't remember and even if could I wouldn't be able to spell. In North Wales 

Second was in Oliao Portugal 

Both taken with  Huwai P20 pro 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Quite difficult to choose.

31752118537_9524d64023_b.jpgRoof Of The World by HectorHughMunro, on Flickr

48783869237_47a5916b45.jpgTold Off In Church By An Aunty by HectorHughMunro, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Toronto Skyline

Tresaith Sunset

First Toronto visiting friends I hadn't seen for 7 years

Second one of those magical nights .

3,500 miles for the first shot 50 yards for the second.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

49306014491_b4a6895f66_b.jpg

Dolbadarn-Castle by Mr ff1d1l, on Flickr

48054498583_0de7420495_c.jpg

Lochrannoch2 by Poopy Floopy, on Flickr

Dusk looking across Loch Rannoch, taken on my phone. Just after an Osprey flew right across the lake.

Dolbadarn Castle was just a few days ago, was looking down from the Zig Zags, the castle just lit up, long enough for me to get off two shots, then it was gone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1