I'm thinking of getting my 8L6 serviced this year after five years of owning. Not put a foot wrong, hopefully shouldn't cost more than a few hundred? Shrug 

Just had a response via email from EAR

Even they had to email again to correct themselves.

MC is in, MM is out.

How does the labelling show this at all? 

Why is my transfig cart louder when the switch is out?

I love vinyl 

17 minutes ago, kernow said:

Just had a response via email from EAR

Even they had to email again to correct themselves.

MC is in, MM is out.

How does the labelling show this at all? 

Why is my transfig cart louder when the switch is out?

I love vinyl 

I know they made it, so ought to have the correct answer. However :whistle:

The MC setting absolutely 100% will have higher gain than the MM setting. The 834P does this with a small pair of step-up transformers. Unless something unbelievably strange is going on, then assuming you don't change anything else, and assuming you aren't using anything else to add gain, whichever switch position is the loudest has to be the MC one.

• Like 1

I'd completely agree. If you look at the switch you'd think it suggests MM is in and MC is out - which matches the function. It's definitely louder with the switch out. I think they corrected themselves and got it wrong. 

Trying without the -15db rothwells just to verify. Will test tonight. I'm just going to leave it on the sensible setting regardless of what they've said tbh. They did provide me with the manual and circuit diagram if anyone can work it out from that maybe? 

Edited by kernow

23 hours ago, kernow said:

I'm thinking of getting my 8L6 serviced this year after five years of owning. Not put a foot wrong, hopefully shouldn't cost more than a few hundred Shrug 

I too had an 8L6 for many years and had it serviced by EAR. The costs are VERY REASONABLE. Valve replacement can add a few shekels though.

I recommend you contact EAR and ask them to collect and return as their rates are very good

• Like 2

Anyone actually utilised the pre/power split switch a lot of integrateds have as a feature? 

Thinking about an 868P and using my 8L6 as a power until I go dedicated. Hmm 

Ok. Which setting do I need for my transfig cart? Will try it on the default first of course. 

"It makes operation simple and straightforward for the unfussy, but conceals a range of choice for tweakers. For example: Though the default loading for MCs is 40 ohms, if you open the 868, near the step-up transformers you’ll find a nifty DIP switch of yellow plastic that selects from the primaries of the output transformers to produce the three different gain settings, and which also simultaneously adjusts the MC loading to 4, 12, or 40 ohms. After playing around with each of the settings, taking notes, and trying to hear differences, I wound up preferring the default 40-ohm setting for MC and its corresponding 10:1 gain for the transformer. Simple"

I imagine 1:10 

I have an EAR834P. It sounds excellent, but the phono plugs at the back seem to be mickey mouse. Tightening the nut around the shaft of the socket on the back panel works for a while to keep the signal path connected, but it doesn't take too long for the socket to come loose. If there was a way to fix this permanently I'd be happy to learn about it. 

I've never had that issue personally - how often are you disconnecting stuff to notice? It shouldn't move if not being touched. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, kernow said:

I've never had that issue personally - how often are you disconnecting stuff to notice? It shouldn't move if not being touched. 

I leave it alone until one channel has disappeared on power-up. Then I fiddle a connection and it makes contact. If it happens again I turn the box round and take an adjustable spanner to the nut, which is usually loose. I'm told that Loctite is the answer but I've not yet been near a shop that sells it.

Happens every 3 or 4 weeks

Edited by audio_PHIL_e
to answer the question

Send it off to ear for a service, their costs are pretty reasonable.